Curfew News and Updates

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Re: Curfew News and Updates

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:44 am
AzalKH wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:29 am Heard that a couple of factories were quarantining their workers on site, perhaps others are doing that as a precautionary measure to try and avoid closure? Just a thought, not seen any indications this is happening.
very interested to hear for a fact
of course that's what they'll try to do, slave labor
As the Ministry of Labour issued an order for all businesses to pay their laid off staff regardless, it makes sense go put them to work if you can. Slavery is work without pay. This is work.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

beerlaodrinker wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 am
AzalKH wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:29 am Heard that a couple of factories were quarantining their workers on site, perhaps others are doing that as a precautionary measure to try and avoid closure? Just a thought, not seen any indications this is happening.
As the Ministry of Labour issued an order for all businesses to pay their laid off staff regardless, it makes sense go put them to work if you can. Slavery is work without pay. This is work.
Can you please provide a link to the official order? That's a huge move on their part - akin to furlough payments in the west without the government having to to pay for any of it.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

beerlaodrinker wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 am As the Ministry of Labour issued an order for all businesses to pay their laid off staff regardless, it makes sense go put them to work if you can. Slavery is work without pay. This is work.
can they leave?
slavery is forced work

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:10 am
beerlaodrinker wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 am As the Ministry of Labour issued an order for all businesses to pay their laid off staff regardless, it makes sense go put them to work if you can. Slavery is work without pay. This is work.
can they leave?
slavery is forced work
I would imagine that many are ok with that arrangement. If they can live and work in the same place, not come in contact with anyone who can infect them, and get paid and can send their money home, that's a lot better than being stuck at home and not earning.

I know that sits very badly with us westerners and would cause outrage if an Amazon warehouse did that somewhere in Europe, but over here they are not that squeamish.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

they're entitled to $70 if the factories close
no doubt many would prefer to keep working at $150
but if they have no choice, it's called slavery

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:00 am they're entitled to $70 if the factories close
no doubt many would prefer to keep working at $150
but if they have no choice, it's called slavery
Yes, I agree with you there.

Is that what the other poster was referring to - the order to pay them regardless? The $70 a month as a furlough payment? I read it as a new order to pay all staff everywhere.

As these workers often have a hard enough time getting paid when they do work, I wonder how many people would trust them to pay them for no work?
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

it's only for garment workers i think
the factory has to pay $30, and the govt $40 or similar

it looks like the plan is to issue each household with a 'shopping permit'
that will be the only reason allowed to leave the house

maybe cintri can deliver the permit with their next bill
(hey govt forum reader, i'm joking . . .)

if this mafia govt takes over the food supply i don't see them being very efficient at it
or letting go
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:21 am it's only for garment workers i think
the factory has to pay $30, and the govt $40 or similar

it looks like the plan is to issue each household with a 'shopping permit'
that will be the only reason allowed to leave the house

maybe cintri can deliver the permit with their next bill
(hey govt forum reader, i'm joking . . .)
Already suggested they do the food deliveries :D

newsworthy/information-coronavirus-camb ... -2630.html
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:04 am
beerlaodrinker wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 am
Can you please provide a link to the official order? That's a huge move on their part - akin to furlough payments in the west without the government having to to pay for any of it.
Lead story in both Khmer Times and PPP.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

You need to shut the markets because everyone is cramped together there and they aren’t safe. Then you need to announce food handouts... and this will happen
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic