Curfew News and Updates

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Curfew News and Updates

Post by Freightdog »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:55 pm I'm pretty sure your party would contravene one of the Don'ts however.
I'm fairly certain such a party would contravene more than one. But isn't one of the finer points of law something to do with not getting caught?
:D
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:05 pm The tribe is off in the province at the moment, with SWMBO getting her next jab today.
She’s been told that Phnom Penh is ‘closed’ for two weeks, and that she can’t get back. Is this a current thing in Phnom Penh, or just part of the slow or ill informed info being passed about?

I’m due back in the next few weeks, so it will suck a lot if I come out of quarantine to an empty apartment, if this becomes one of those rolling affairs.
Although…there could be scope for a party…. :beer3:
Planning on travel to Phnom Penh tomorrow, driver called to confirm the trip today, so I guess it's bad informed gossip. Will report back tomorrow.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:28 pm Planning on travel to Phnom Penh tomorrow, driver called to confirm the trip today, so I guess it's bad informed gossip. Will report back tomorrow.
I figured it was. There is a very great tendency for inaccurate information, which gets passed along and gets embellished or corrupted in the process. It's no surprise that her sister can pass along rubbish- her sister has the attention span of a goldfish.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:04 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:28 pm Planning on travel to Phnom Penh tomorrow, driver called to confirm the trip today, so I guess it's bad informed gossip. Will report back tomorrow.
I figured it was. There is a very great tendency for inaccurate information, which gets passed along and gets embellished or corrupted in the process. It's no surprise that her sister can pass along rubbish- her sister has the attention span of a goldfish.
No problems experienced on Ratanakiri-Stuen Treng-Kratie-Tbong Kmoum-Kampong Cham-Kandal-Phnom Penh route today.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

High risk ?
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: On the night of September 29, 2021, Mr. Chea Pisey and his forces inspected the restaurants in the Tuol Kork District of Phnom Penh to prevent the spread of the Covid-19 virus and to ensure that they were abiding by national health rules and curfew regulations.
When the police team arrived at the Samai Square Club, they saw drinking parties at 3 tables with some music, and there were wine glasses on the tables, so then the operation team cracked down and arrested 30 people, staff and customers, for non-compliance with the instructions of the Phnom Penh Municipal Authority No. 302/21 that prohibit high risk business activities.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:51 am High risk ?
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: On the night of September 29, 2021, Mr. Chea Pisey and his forces inspected the restaurants in the Tuol Kork District of Phnom Penh to prevent the spread of the Covid-19 virus and to ensure that they were abiding by national health rules and curfew regulations.
When the police team arrived at the Samai Square Club, they saw drinking parties at 3 tables with some music, and there were wine glasses on the tables, so then the operation team cracked down and arrested 30 people, staff and customers, for non-compliance with the instructions of the Phnom Penh Municipal Authority No. 302/21 that prohibit high risk business activities.
They paid a visit to Oskar on Riverside on Sunday. Nothing came of it (God knows how they didn't find any infractions - wink wink) but they buggered off without causing trouble. The police are still about and picking on the odd place for no apparent reason ( I'm suppose they must have their reasons).

The alcohol ban is now openly flouted by just about everyone, everywhere. Even Lucky and Smile are selling booze again. Super Duper still have the "No Alcohol" signs up but the polythene covering has disappeared, so maybe they will sell you some too.

I have come to the view that the Government knows people are drinking in restaurants, but as long as it is done discreetly, without venues being full and generally things being low key, they are ok with this state of affairs. No booze in restaurants = empty restaurants = closed restaurants = more financial distress, from staff to owners tolandlords.

The current status quo may be the "new normal" our Dear Leader has been talking about, and for some time to come.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I noticed the Mekong River Restaurant has closed down. A whole string of empty premises in a row there. Pretty sad.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:11 am I noticed the Mekong River Restaurant has closed down. A whole string of empty premises in a row there. Pretty sad.
Is that the big corner place up near the night market? It was 24hr pre-pandemic IIRC
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:11 am I noticed the Mekong River Restaurant has closed down. A whole string of empty premises in a row there. Pretty sad.
Yeah, I thought it was ticking over and scraping by, it always attracted a regular customer base. It was always good for people watching but that was when there were people to watch. It is so quite up there these days, and as they are so exposed, any 'sneaky beers' is very much on show. Plus big rents on those locations.

Riverside continues is decline into economic Armageddon. If they threw the doors open tomorrow with tourist VOA's and no testing at all, the quickest thing to get back to normal will be the Tuk-Tuks prices :D (good luck to them anyway).
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:38 am
Yeah, I thought it was ticking over and scraping by, it always attracted a regular customer base. It was always good for people watching but that was when there were people to watch. It is so quite up there these days, and as they are so exposed, any 'sneaky beers' is very much on show. Plus big rents on those locations.

Riverside continues is decline into economic Armageddon. If they threw the doors open tomorrow with tourist VOA's and no testing at all, the quickest thing to get back to normal will be the Tuk-Tuks prices :D (good luck to them anyway).
Yeah I am a bit surprised, mainly because I thought they would hang on and it shows just how bad things have got. I guess the alcohol ban was the final straw.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic