Curfew News and Updates

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Re: Curfew News and Updates

Post by Jack.R. »

The garment factories are still open and they are the only guys that will likely get the 70$ a month (30 from govt and 40 from factory) covid relief if laid off so i think they won't really go to zero.

Construction is also still going on but those laid off might not be able to get anything.
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Jack.R. wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:45 pm The garment factories are still open and they are the only guys that will likely get the 70$ a month (30 from govt and 40 from factory) covid relief if laid off so i think they won't really go to zero.

Construction is also still going on but those laid off might not be able to get anything.
No, neither construction nor garment are on the list of permitted business, with the exception of construction sires where the workers live on a camp adjacent.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

From what I know all major garment factories are working.
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Jack.R. wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:24 pm From what I know all major garment factories are working.
I suggest you read the sub decree from Friday and and the updated version today.
They were both translated and reported here and the Khmer Tkmes so not difficult to do.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Jack.R. wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:24 pm From what I know all major garment factories are working.
do you actually know?

i wouldn't be at all surprised if both govt and owners tried to keep them open
rather than paying workers $70/month for nothing
but i'm not sure how the factories could operate effectively
unless the workers are all very local or able to cross the roadblocks

monstra mihi bona!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Some of the higher ups also likely have vested financial interests in sim factories, so doubtful they want to shut them down. What's funny (not) is that they didn't prioritize then for vaccination.

Construction has pretty much stopped. Sure, workers are still on site but barely any materials coming in, so sits are now mostly a place to sleep and just small work/rearranging materials/organizing etc. Have you seen any dump trucks, rebar or cement deliveries? Used to see them by my place on the daily and now nada. Some workers are still there though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

19 April 2021
Photos of Takhmao in lockdown:
More here: http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 47-23.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 am Some of the higher ups also likely have vested financial interests in sim factories, so doubtful they want to shut them down. What's funny (not) is that they didn't prioritize then for vaccination.

Construction has pretty much stopped. Sure, workers are still on site but barely any materials coming in, so sits are now mostly a place to sleep and just small work/rearranging materials/organizing etc. Have you seen any dump trucks, rebar or cement deliveries? Used to see them by my place on the daily and now nada. Some workers are still there though.
Construction site behind my place has pretty much ground to a halt now that cement trucks can't come in, they were pretty busy up until yesterday doing what onsite jobs they could but feet up today.

Heard that a couple of factories were quarantining their workers on site, perhaps others are doing that as a precautionary measure to try and avoid closure? Just a thought, not seen any indications this is happening.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Seven arrested for violating lockdown
Lay Samean | Publication date 19 April 2021 | 14:58 ICT

Authorities arrested seven individuals and impounded dozens of vehicles for violating curfew and lockdown measures in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takhmao town.

Phnom Penh municipal police spokesman San Sok Seiha told The Post that most of the vehicles had been impounded by authorities on the first day of lockdown.

"On April 16 we impounded 42 motorcycles along with another 15 on April 17," he said.

On April 14 the government decided to lockdown Phnom Penh and Takhmao town for 14 days from April 15 to April 28 in a bid to contain the ongoing Covid-19 community outbreak.

Authorities have also arrested seven people for violating the law on the control of Covid-19 and other deadly contagious diseases.
“Six of them have been sent to court. And of the six, five have been placed in pre-trial detention,” said Sok Seiha.

He said authorities had educated and released the seventh person.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... g-lockdown
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

AzalKH wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:29 am Heard that a couple of factories were quarantining their workers on site, perhaps others are doing that as a precautionary measure to try and avoid closure? Just a thought, not seen any indications this is happening.
very interested to hear for a fact
of course that's what they'll try to do, slave labor

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic