Curfew News and Updates

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Curfew News and Updates

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On July 29, 2021, Khan Mean Chey police raided restaurant Samros Bopha 271 for breaking KTV Covid-19 restrictions in Khan Mean Chey, Phnom Penh.
The restaurant owner and the guests were held in custody for reeducation before being released by the authorities.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Lockdown and curfew in Sihanoukville tonight, 30 July 2021.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:32 pm Yes, Riverside promenade is off limits 24/7 now.
I'm happy to report that people are on Riverside this morning, since dawn.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:55 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:32 pm Yes, Riverside promenade is off limits 24/7 now.
I spoke too soon, the cops came at 7am and chased people away. But the operation is not 100% effective.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:40 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:55 am
I spoke too soon, the cops came at 7am and chased people away. But the operation is not 100% effective.
I don't see the point of doing that! If the people are out for a walk, getting exercise, masked and keeping social distancing why is it a problem?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The government have a number of big problems that are beyond their control and they have no fixes for them. This could be the start of something bigger.

Big Problem #1
All their real hospitals have been full from the start of this outbreak, all the makeshift hospitals in government building and the commandeered wedding centres are also full. They have run out of easy road. Have you noticed the lack of ambulances on the streets lately? They have nowhere to take them. Home treatment is now commonplace and this guarantees further community infection.

Big Problem #2
The realisation that the vaccines do not prevent infection. 6 Months ago, when the first vaccines started to enter peoples arms en masse, nobody knew this. Now everyone does. This highly unpleasant truth leads to...

Big Problem #3
While vaccines do reduce the % of people who get seriously sick (in varying degrees) , some people still do get very sick. That means you need a proper developed healthcare system to treat that very small % who need proper medical care, despite vaccination. Countries that have a developed healthcare system should be able to cope and reopen to some sort of normality. Cambodia is not one of them. That's very bad news for what little healthcare they do have as it will be overrun for the foreseeable future with no end in sight.

Big Problem #4
The Delta variant is scaring them shitless and is in the country. No country has contained it so far, and nor will Cambodia. The western vaccines seem to work against it, so far so good, but the the Chinese one's are looking a bit suspect. A booster shot programme now looking like a requirement by the end of the year. More vaccine, money and manpower needed.
(All this newly arrived AZ vaccine from the U.K. and Japan and the J&J vaccine from the U.S. coincides very nicely with the ability of private clinics to start selling it.)

They government are scratching their heads as to what to do next, and this is the first salvo. Further full scale and serious lockdowns are the next logical step.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

@Doc67 do you have a source for the above, or is it all in your humble opinion.

Please don't say "It's obvious, innit".

I'm not saying your wrong, just wondering about the source. :)
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

The Delta variant is scaring them shitless and is in the country. No country has contained it so far, and nor will Cambodia. The western vaccines seem to work against it, so far so good
Disquieting news from USA
CDC study shows 74% of people infected in Massachusetts Covid outbreak were fully vaccinated
About three-fourths of people infected in a Massachusetts Covid-19 outbreak were fully vaccinated against the coronavirus with four of them ending up in the hospital, according to new data published Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The new data, published in the U.S. agency’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, also found that fully vaccinated people who get infected carry as much of the virus in their nose as unvaccinated people, and could spread it to other individuals.
“This finding is concerning and was a pivotal discovery leading to CDC’s updated mask recommendation,” CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said in a statement. “The masking recommendation was updated to ensure the vaccinated public would not unknowingly transmit virus to others, including their unvaccinated or immunocompromised loved ones.”

On Tuesday, the CDC reversed course on its prior guidance and recommended fully vaccinated Americans who live in areas with high Covid infection rates resume wearing face masks indoors. The guidelines cover about two-thirds of the U.S. population, according to a CNBC analysis.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/30/cdc-stu ... nated.html

NB from the article
Overall, 274 vaccinated patients with a breakthrough infection were symptomatic, according to the CDC. The most common side effects were cough, headache, sore throat, muscle pain and fever. Among five Covid patients who were hospitalized, four were fully vaccinated, according to the agency. No deaths were reported.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^
I think most will not deny they have big problems with Covid 19. However, so has many/most other countries and arguably, Cambodia is better placed than most given the low, young population and high vax rates.

Also, to say:
The government have a number of big problems that are beyond their control and they have no fixes for them.
I think draws a very long bow, paints a very negative view and I don't think entirely accurate...but I daresay it is a moot point for many.

Having said that, I do agree we're at a very important point of inflection with this Delta variant and potentially could get much worse...but just like pretty much every country in the world imo.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

More parties and more arrests in Phnom Penh:
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): According to Sen Sok police in Phnom Penh on the evening of July 30, 2021, they arrested 8 people for breaking the 14-day curfew by having a drinking party.
The 8 suspects and their 4 vehicles were seized and detained for further investigation.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic