Curfew News and Updates

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Curfew News and Updates

Post by timmydownawell »

cautious colin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:53 am
timmydownawell wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:43 am PP City Hall will maintain the red/orange/yellow system so in reality almost nothing has changed.
Helps people who are stuck in the wrong province. I know of a few that either stuck in the sticks and can't get into PP or stuck in PP and haven't been able to get back.

Will help businesses get going again that need deliveries from outside PP, such as construction, food supplies etc

It's not just hospitality that are struggling, if it means this will help even a small amount of people then great.

I think this step makes complete sense,
My comment was related to people living in red/orange zones (many of whom believed the lockdown was "ending"). But yes, for those dealing with yellow zones and shipment of goods it's a very helpful change.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:55 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:49 am
timmydownawell wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:43 am
Arget wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:40 am
timmydownawell wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:11 am ok it is official. "some parts". Anyone in red zones is likely to be disappointed.

--

The government charged the Phnom Penh municipal administration and Kandal provincial administration to take lockdown measures of some parts of their respective geographical areas as well as other necessary measures against the COVID-19 pandemic, based on the transmission developments and in line with the sub-decrees on administrative and health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and other severe, dangerous and contagious diseases.
The government has said they will lift the bans BUT they have put the onus onto provincial administration to implement lockdowns if required. Just means they have passed the buck and said "see we lifted the lockdown. Not our fault ."
Yeah exactly (just like in Australia) they can take the credit if it's successful and blame the states/city if it fails.Anyway I have posted in the news thread the KT story. PP City Hall will maintain the red/orange/yellow system so in reality almost nothing has changed.
Well, it depends if City Hall decides to do some downgrading from orange to yellow. It was City Hall that made the designations in the first place, so it's always been their call.

Living in a yellow zone (but the skin of my teeth) I have complete freedom of movement so nothing will change, including nowhere to go and nothing to do. Until they open the bars and restaurants, nothing is going to improve.
It would be very helpful if they listed Sangkat totals. Having to scan through the list of cases and count them is a pain. Suffice to say that Phsar Chas and Phsar Kandal 1 both had one each in the latest list. In my gut I feel that Phsar Chas and Kandal 2 will go yellow, while Kandal 1 will stay orange, but we will find out probably tomorrow afternoon/evening.
Can they realistically separate Kandal 1 & 2 as effectively as they have done with the whole block? This would mean segregating along street 15 and that's a narrow street and almost impossible to stop people sneaking across the road. That whole current block is leaking like a sieve at the moment anyway.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:09 am
Arget wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:40 am

The government has said they will lift the bans BUT they have put the onus onto provincial administration to implement lockdowns if required. Just means they have passed the buck and said "see we lifted the lockdown. Not our fault ."
Yeah exactly (just like in Australia) they can take the credit if it's successful and blame the states/city if it fails.Anyway I have posted in the news thread the KT story. PP City Hall will maintain the red/orange/yellow system so in reality almost nothing has changed.
Well, it depends if City Hall decides to do some downgrading from orange to yellow. It was City Hall that made the designations in the first place, so it's always been their call.

Living in a yellow zone (but the skin of my teeth) I have complete freedom of movement so nothing will change, including nowhere to go and nothing to do. Until they open the bars and restaurants, nothing is going to improve.
It would be very helpful if they listed Sangkat totals. Having to scan through the list of cases and count them is a pain. Suffice to say that Phsar Chas and Phsar Kandal 1 both had one each in the latest list. In my gut I feel that Phsar Chas and Kandal 2 will go yellow, while Kandal 1 will stay orange, but we will find out probably tomorrow afternoon/evening.
Can they realistically separate Kandal 1 & 2 as effectively as they have done with the whole block? This would mean segregating along street 15 and that's a narrow street and almost impossible to stop people sneaking across the road. That whole current block is leaking like a sieve at the moment anyway.
They'd likely put multiple-tape "barriers" right along the edge of the Kandal 1 footpath, just like they did along St 110 to separate Phsar Chas from Wat Phnom.

Where are people leaking? Because those three Sangkats are all orange it's ok to move within that whole zone. And thank dog for that because there are fuck all Kwik E Marts in Phsar Chas, it's such a tiny Sangkat.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:20 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:09 am

They'd likely put multiple-tape "barriers" right along the edge of the Kandal 1 footpath, just like they did along St 110 to separate Phsar Chas from Wat Phnom.

Where are people leaking? Because those three Sangkats are all orange it's ok to move within that whole zone. And thank dog for that because there are fuck all Kwik E Marts in Phsar Chas, it's such a tiny Sangkat.
A mate who lives in street 13 opposite Kandal Market says he can't get passed 136 or 144, they are keeping them in their street. He can get to Smile but that's it. The police told him it's all over on the 5th, so fingers crossed.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I, too, am riverside area and we are blocked from sisowath, 110, 15, and I guess 144, but... These guys are doing a wonderful job, under the circumstances, and I am grateful for the stringent efforts towards an effective procedure. We should all thank our lucky stars it is NOT being organised by 20 year old equivalents, whom could be easily be influenced to turning a blind eye. If that were the case I would imagine them seeing respectful wisdom in old white farts, and hesitate with unnecessary disciplinary action (although, my parent's "didn't know anything about life, until I turned 30". 5,5). Gosh and golly gee, a coffee would do it. Thankfully, they have learnt from other countries' successes, and failures, and adopted the most appropriate measures. By adhering to the rules, together, we will get through this quicker. ("At what cost?" There's always one!) I can not see how the competent powers that be, can possibly not open tomorrow, at least to some degree. Whatever the decision, it will be for the betterment of the country. We are in good hands. 8)
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:29 am A mate who lives in street 13 opposite Kandal Market says he can't get passed 136 or 144, they are keeping them in their street. He can get to Smile but that's it. The police told him it's all over on the 5th, so fingers crossed.
That is strange. I just went for a ride on my bike and rode down 13 to the 154 boundary. The only area taped off was the market area itself. Otherwise seems to be completely open within the Riverside, 154, Norodom, 110 boundaries of the three combined Sangkats. The only area I got stopped and told to turn around was a section of 130. No tape or anything, just a cop directing me away.

There were eight cases in St 5 so maybe a section of that street got taped off because of that?
Last edited by timmydownawell on Tue May 04, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

For the first time in 7 days, I am heading outside today, to the laundry. Not exactly an emergency, seeing as since I read that the lack of personal hygiene during C19 is actually protecting our skin from damaging hot water and harsh soaps, I haven't showered (my girlfriend normally takes the washing but she popped out for cigarettes 6 days ago, and she doesn't even smoke. She obviously cant find where to buy them). So, as I haven't been out for a week, should I be wary of anything? Is anyone still here? I am bubble-wrapped, as recommended by my older brother, whose advise I respect - he saved my life as a kid by letting me know I had a terminal disease that could only be cured by eating dirt twice a day for three years - and I'm off.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:13 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:29 am A mate who lives in street 13 opposite Kandal Market says he can't get passed 136 or 144, they are keeping them in their street. He can get to Smile but that's it. The police told him it's all over on the 5th, so fingers crossed.
That is strange. I just went for a ride on my bike and rode down 13 to the 154 boundary. The only area taped off was the market area itself. Otherwise seems to be completely open within the Riverside, 154, Norodom, 110 boundaries of the three combined Sangkats. The only area I got stopped and told to turn around was a section of 130. No tape or anything, just a cop directing me away.

There were eight cases in St 5 so maybe a section of that street got taped off because of that?
It was a couple of days ago and he does have access to the store cupboards of Harry's so, nudge nudge, wink wink, he might of been worse for wear. Anyhoo, we'll find out soon enough if you've got your freedom back or it's more red tape.

But this is a worry!
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Someone asked on the other thread about the numbers in PP
The eight villages are Trapaing Tleung I Village and Toul Pongro Village in Po Senchey district, Domak Thom Village, Domank Thom I Village, and Domnak Thom II Village in Meanchey District, Dermchan Village in Chbar Ampov district, Derm Kor Village in Chroy Chongvar and Krous Village in Prek Pnov districts.
No numbers but gives an idea of areas that are worst hit

https://m.facebook.com/phnompenhcityhall/

Facebook site where the figures are released each day
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:09 am Can they realistically separate Kandal 1 & 2 as effectively as they have done with the whole block? This would mean segregating along street 15 and that's a narrow street and almost impossible to stop people sneaking across the road. That whole current block is leaking like a sieve at the moment anyway.
Just coming back to this. It appears they are setting up a checkpoint on the corner of 15/118. They have also taped off the drinks shop on that corner so I guess someone tested positive there (was already one case in that building a couple of days ago). Anyway there's no point in putting a checkpoint there unless it's going to be a new border along 15, so I'll see what happens tapewise tomorrow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic