Friends No More; Buddy Runs Off with Ganzberg Ringpull Winner !

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Friends No More; Buddy Runs Off with Ganzberg Ringpull Winner !

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Kandal province): A friendship was broken over a dispute as to the ownership of a winning ringpull from Ganzberg beer company. The winning ringpull was a first prize Ford car !
A couple from Takhmao City are contesting the ownership of the beer can ringpull after they invited their friend, Sim Son, a 35-year-old security guard to come and drink some beers with them.
34-year-old Dul Den, a motodup driver, and his wife, bought a dozen cans of Ganzberg beer, and they thought they were doing a good deed by inviting their friend to come and drink some of these beers at their place. By an extraordinary piece of luck, Sim Son picked up a can of Ganzberg and saw that he had a winning tab.
Sim Son assumed that since he opened the beer he would keep the prize, and he generously offered the couple $ 1000 to thank them for his good fortune. The couple didn't see it that way, considering that since they had bought the beers, the ringpull belonged to them, and they refused the offer.
Then the lucky winner grabbed the winning ringpull and ran away.

Now the couple are trying to intervene legally to prevent their (ex)friend from claiming the car, and they have filed a complaint to the authorities of Takhmao City, and will also request the intervention of the General Director of GANZBERG Beer Company to detain the suspect when he goes to get the prize.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Friends No More; Buddy Runs Off with Ganzberg Ringpull Winner !

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Funny. Some people I was with the other day were discussing exactly this and it's just as fu as they imagined
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

I buy you a beer, you open your drink and discover on the cap that you won a Porsche. I then insist (using crude logic) that it's mine?

This is a moral, ethical and legal dilemma. Let's see how Ganzberg handles this.
DesiTrufant
Tourist

Post by DesiTrufant »

They either gave him the beer or they didn’t. If they have him the beer, with the pull on it, then it is his.

I have noticed though. At some bars. The staff will open the can in front of me and walk off with the pull. They know what they are doing.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

They invited him to drink some of their beer. The beer is the gift, not the potential for winning the prize. He won't take the empty cans home with him will he? No, so it's the beer that is the gift. The can and the ring pull has no value normally.

If I had to choose the owner of the winning ring-pull, its the buyers of the beer. They only ever intended to make a gift of the beer, there would have been no intention to gift the potential of a high value prize. Had they said to the man, "we are offering you beer, but any prizes on the cans remain ours", would the man have accepted that position? Almost certainly yes.

Moral of the story: Buy your own beer and drink it yourself.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

When I drink at my friend's house, the pulls end up on the table for him. When we drink at my house the pulls end up on the table for me. It's common practice. The friend is being an a$$hole.
DesiTrufant
Tourist

Post by DesiTrufant »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 am They invited him to drink some of their beer. The beer is the gift, not the potential for winning the prize. He won't take the empty cans home with him will he? No, so it's the beer that is the gift. The can and the ring pull has no value normally.
They handed him a can of beer. If they only wanted to give him the beer inside, they should have poured it into a glass.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DesiTrufant wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:59 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 am They invited him to drink some of their beer. The beer is the gift, not the potential for winning the prize. He won't take the empty cans home with him will he? No, so it's the beer that is the gift. The can and the ring pull has no value normally.
They handed him a can of beer. If they only wanted to give him the beer inside, they should have poured it into a glass.
So he went home with three empty cans of beer and three pulls right?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

If a friendship is destroyed because of a choice made, was it a bad choice or never a good friendship? Doesn’t seem like it was much of a friendship so the ‘friend’ has no right to consider the prize his.

I agree with Doc. A beer was generously shared. That doesn’t equal rights to a free car.

Not that the notion of rights will resonate with the friend.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

There is case law on this going back decades; it has been the overwhelming consensus of the international community that the gifts on the ring pull are the property of the person that bought the beer. I always do a quick legal shakedown on this when commencing to share beer with someone. Ever since a Khmerican moocher tried to pocket one on me, I reviewed the case law in depth, its all there and its only fair. Its always been this way, there is no contest here. The nice folks who bought the beer are owed the prize, the friend did not conjure up some luck to get the prize. It was lucky when it was purchased by the owners of the property.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic