Friends No More; Buddy Runs Off with Ganzberg Ringpull Winner !

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
DesiTrufant
Tourist

Re: Friends No More; Buddy Runs Off with Ganzberg Ringpull Winner !

Post by DesiTrufant »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:09 am

So he went home with three empty cans of beer and three pulls right?
Doubtful. When I order a beer at a bar I don’t take the empties or worthless pulls home either.

Do you think if my pull in a bar wins a car then the bar owner gets it?

Or does the buyer of the 75 cent can also buy the right to win a car, but if the can is purchased and given away then the purchaser retains rights to it.

I used to give my building security guard a case of beer for Khmer new year. If one of those was a winner does he owe me the car?

Indian giving isn’t allowed just because the gift you gave someone turns out to be worth more than you thought it was.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

DesiTrufant wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:39 am

Doubtful. When I order a beer at a bar I don’t take the empties or worthless pulls home either.

Or does the buyer of the 75 cent can also buy the right to win a car, but if the can is purchased and given away then the purchaser retains rights to it.

I used to give my building security guard a case of beer for Khmer new year. If one of those was a winner does he owe me the car?

Indian giving isn’t allowed just because the gift you gave someone turns out to be worth more than you thought it was.
In the original post I think the person who bought the beer owns the car
In your scenarios I think the customer buying the beer in the bar is the car owner and the recipient of the case of beer is the owner.

I don’t know why I think the situations warrant different outcomes.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

DesiTrufant wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:39 am

Buying a beer in a bar is a transfer of ownership

Gifting a whole case is different to sharing a beer with someone.

Gifting the whole case and not sitting and drinking, you give up the right to the win as it is a true gift

Buying beer and inviting a friend to share, you keep ownership

Pretty simple in my mind
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

Sell the car, split the value between both parties.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

My thinking would be that I had given away a can of beer and whatever the recipient wins; they can keep.

But, this is a case of a motodop and another low income guy and the "Ford Car" is a Ranger which at around $50'000 is definitely more than both these fuckheads make in a year, so it's easy to see where a dispute arose. It's a life changing amount of wedge
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Morally, and as per :Party Rules/Fouls 101" the buyer of the beer gets the prize. Legally, I'm not so sure. The full beer can, intact, was willingly given to him as a gift, including the can and ring thing. He did not stipulate he was only offering the beer, not the can/ring (initial here, here and here, and sign here) and the receiver can say he was "not interested in the cold, refreshing, amber liquid, running down the back of his parched throat on that hot Sunday afternoon, at all". He understood he was being gifted the ring thing. Otherwise, "why didn't he pour it into a glass for me?" Henceforth, forthwith, hereinbynotwithstanding, nor limited to under 5B/3 Competition Legislation 2014.
To reiterate, no question in my mind, and as per "my house, my rules", the generous gifter gets the prize, otherwise, why did the giftee run away. " Yeah, you're right. I'm just going to the toilet. There's a window in there, right?"
He gave him the ring thing, making it his. Was he not supposed to drink the beer?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Just discussed this with a Khmer friend. They say something like this should be split 50/50.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:45 am When I drink at my friend's house, the pulls end up on the table for him. When we drink at my house the pulls end up on the table for me. It's common practice. The friend is being an a$$hole.
thats easy said when only a can of free beer is being won.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Cooldude wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:19 pm Just discussed this with a Khmer friend. They say something like this should be split 50/50.
what if there were 10-20 other drinkers around at the time?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Pedrazo
Expatriate

Post by Pedrazo »

What if it happened at a big wedding?

Does the lucky wedding guest get to keep the winning pull tab or does the wedding host get it?

What if the guest had given a cash donation of $100 - $200?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic