2021 Work Permit: Renewal Deadline Extension

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

2021 Work Permit: Renewal Deadline Extension

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

MoLVT Announcement:

2021 Work Permit Renewal deadline extended until 31st May.

No retroactive fee will be levied for those who did not have a 2020 WP.

Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 2021 Work Permit: Renewal Deadline Extension

Post by Soriya »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:09 pm MoLVT Announcement:

What about people who payed last years fine already??
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

Soriya wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:09 am

What fine? You had until March 31 if you had a 2020 it's now been extended.. 2 months
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Haha, this is one of those times where actually being orgainised and responsible doesn't work in your favour.

Since you were organised and obtained your 2021 WP well before the deadline and paid your retroactive fee for 2020 already, then you missed out on the waiver unfortunately.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Oumedc wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:40 am

What fine? You had until March 31 if you had a 2020 it's now been extended.. 2 months
A couple of friends never had a work permit last year. They got 1 last month but had to pay a 100$ fine. Which has now been waivered
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SEAdude »

Interesting. I have had a *fixer* help me with all the visa issues for the last 2 years with all papers/ processing for an added fee for the employment visa. I have never had the 'legit' paperwork or even a work permit. This would be the second time I have renewed this work visa if I do so. But I am befuddled as I have read and talked to people that tell me that I could get a retirement visa (I have > $40K in a Cambodian bank), however, I am not on that plan as of yet as I am [only] 50, and perhaps that requires other things I am not aware of.

So I am wondering what to do as I have to get it taken care of by the end of May. I have made my home here and have no plans to leave as in reality I am 'retired'. I just want to have this visa as hassle-free as possible so I will take the most simple route. Thoughts, ideas are welcome here -- thank you in advance!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@SEAdude if you have no intention of ever working in Cambodia, then you can apply for an ER (Retirement) EOS under 55.

If you don't have any official Retirement documentation ie. Pension, etc., then write a statutory declaration stating that you are not working in Cambodia, have no intention of seeking employment, and explaining that you are retired (reason, explian) and have sufficient funds to support yourself financially.

Take that letter along with bank statements proving sufficient funds, your passport, a passport picture and money directly to the DoI Visa office, complete the Visa Extension of Stay application form (write Retirement in the other field)....done.

Previously you could do this via most agents, however many have now been instructed that they cannot facilitate ER EOS applications for those under 55 unless they have official evidence of Retirement status...many people have reported that the DoI are being unusually lenient - no guarantee, but worth a shot, and they will let you know on the spot whether or not they will issue you an ER EOS.

Be aware, that once you have been issued an ER EOS the DoI will not issue you any other EOS category in that passport - so if you do think you may seek employment in Cambodia in the future, do not apply for an ER.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

SEA,
When they first introduced the retirement visa I made a trip to PP to obtain the Retirement Visa (as local agents basically wouldn't process it and wanted me to get a 6 month visa - leave country - and do it all over again). I felt it was best to follow the new procedure as I have no intention of working in Cambodia but was under 55 years old.

My wife is Khmer and we have two children.
I took the following with me:

1. Ownership papers for our house in the province.
2. Lease (for house we live in) and payment receipts for the past two years.
3. Our children's passports & birth certificates and my wife's passport and copy of her ID.
4. "evidence" of support. They didn't want it. They wanted something from a government entity. So I printed out my estimated social security pages (I'm American). Amazingly enough they accepted that even though I obviously can't get SS for many years. I actually tried to explain the estimated payment was just showing what I would get when I was old and that I earned income from other sources. It was all over their head and I just shut my mouth and let them take the SS papers and took everything else back home with me.
5. I had two letters saying I was retired. Both written by friends but they were on company letterhead with contact information. Don't know if they cared about them or not.

They made me use an agent anyways but provided the desk manager's mobile number for agent to call to confirm they would issue the Retirement Visa.

What I remember about the interaction was that they understood the fact my wife and I had a family, owned a home and were living a decent life. That more than anything else is why they gave the ok. At the time they really only understood government pensions as a income source for retirees. And given some of the real "winners" that were at their office the morning I was there, I can understand why they aren't really interested in listening to "stories/explanations/etc". Just give them something that looks official and its ok.

I believe it was 4 years ago when I had to make the trip. Glad I did. First year I had to provide the paperwork again but last two years its been a simple matter for the local agent to renew (this year I had to make sure our landlord had registered us in the new application).
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SEAdude »

PSD-Kiwi and TWY --- Thanks for the reply. Very good info indeed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic