Sarcasm in Cambodian language

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Sarcasm in Cambodian language

Post by taabarang »

I believe it was on another thread where a poster inquired if Cambodians understood sarcasm. I just heard a couple of expressions recently which to my way of thinking shows that they can excel at it if the right circumstances exist.

The first expression I heard expresses the impossibility to stamp out corruption which was the subject of an ongoing discussion when someone added, "Nau srok khmer sombai trey ngiet chhleat pong. Which i translate as, In Cambodia even sun dried salted fish will spawn. (note to grammarians, I know there is no future tense here. Further, I tried to translate it into colloquial English)

The second example happened when I was in a taxi to Suong. Some cowboy driver whizzed past us just missing our vehicle by a couple of inches and proceeded to continue driving in a reckless manner. Our driver swore and said, "koat pregnap choul wat" Which means he was in a hurry to get to the wat, not for religious services but to be cremated. i.e. he was driving to recklessly that he was going to his own funeral.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sarcasm in Cambodian language

Post by prahkeitouj »

Hehe... :thumb:
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Wow, how come i didn't see this thread. This is a great thread and an example to help expats to understand that Cambodians also have sarcasm and irony. We do understand it. Please next time don't use an excuse, Because they don't understand irony. :(
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

I thought sarcasm was when you say one thing but mean the opposite. Like when I see GONK and say "That sideways hat looks really good on you."
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Some Cambodians and luckily my in laws included have a 2nd degree humor referred as ngay doeu.
Could samouth or small salary explain more about it ?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cam Nivag wrote:I thought sarcasm was when you say one thing but mean the opposite. Like when I see GONK and say "That sideways hat looks really good on you."
yeah i think they understand it when ever the girls are sat outside the bars heckling passers by with the "ohhhh, Handsome Man" when the guy they are saying it too are far from "handsome"
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

They always called me handsome, but hey....I am handsome !!!!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Cam Nivag wrote:I thought sarcasm was when you say one thing but mean the opposite. Like when I see GONK and say "That sideways hat looks really good on you."
Come on. You must admit, it is an improvement.

Nothing wrong with saying what you really think, CNivag. :whip:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:Some Cambodians and luckily my in laws included have a 2nd degree humor referred as ngay doeu.
I actually didn't get the first word. :( sorry.

I think the second word might be this one

1. ឌឺ ( adj ) [dɨɨ] - detail »
to be obstinate.

2. ឌឺ ( v ) [dɨɨ] - detail »
to persist; to oppose, resist; to defame, abuse, use bad language, curse

http://dictionary.tovnah.com/?q=%E1%9E% ... eria=start
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Samouth wrote:
Barang_doa_slae wrote:Some Cambodians and luckily my in laws included have a 2nd degree humor referred as ngay doeu.
I actually didn't get the first word. :( sorry.

I think the second word might be this one

1. ឌឺ ( adj ) [dɨɨ] - detail »
to be obstinate.

2. ឌឺ ( v ) [dɨɨ] - detail »
to persist; to oppose, resist; to defame, abuse, use bad language, curse

http://dictionary.tovnah.com/?q=%E1%9E% ... eria=start
Damn and I haven't got khmer script on my tablet... Even if I had I could make some mistake writing it anyway. Will check with my wife and come back to you with a picture of the word next week.

Maybe it is bad language, defamation etc... But I am under the impression that it is understood as 2nd degree, ironic way of talking
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic