Tea & Coffee: Local or western?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Tea & Coffee: Local or western?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Spigzy wrote:Started out here as a tea drinker as the metal can was a good fit for my redcoat & musket.

Over time I've gone full espresso eight times a day, mostly stacked in the morning, but a couple after lunch ;) This leaves space for fresh coconuts & other fruit juice or carbonated water.

It doesn't really matter to me though, I will drink various espresso brands, use a grinder on beans, sometimes use pre-ground, and as Hanno pointed out, there are some situations where even a 3-in-1 is better than no coffee at all. On field trips that I usually take annually around the country I'm happy to go with the local black coffee, whatever that might be- I can only say that the further north you go, the better it gets.

Similarly I drink all types of tea, and again, even the dreaded Lipton Yellow Label is better than no tea in some situations.

Everyone has different tastes, so a bit of a moot question to be honest; I wouldn't want to go full civet cat on anyone's coffee choice! :D
Jesus.... I'm also straight espresso pretty much all the time, plus the odd pour over now and then. But EIGHT?! People must think you're on cocaine. I drink 2-4 per day and at 4 I thought it was too much. I just did a 4.5 day caffeine detox by cutting it completely out so its effects could have a sort of reboot. Had splitting headaches the first day (and I NEVER get headaches). It was meant to coincide with my strength training regimen. I was doing a deload and was going to start a new training block so wanted the full effects of caffeine to come back for the workouts. However, gyms are now closed so it was kind of pointless. Started drinking again but I've noticed I'm getting a longer buzz than before. I might start doing a detox every two months or something.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Ah, Coffee....

Post by Freightdog »

The effects of caffeine are little understood, or maybe mostly misunderstood, and often dismissed. It’s something that comes up frequently in our training (by frequently, I mean once, every year. But at least it’s every year,). The message isn’t lost, entirely.

I don’t recall the figures, exactly, but comically described as ‘half life’ of a coffee, lasting several hours. The cautionary tale being that the coffee that is drunk now, to get you through the next few hours, is going to continue to have the same effect for several more hours after. About 7 in total, I think. Yes, it’ll help you stay awake for now (which is not to be confused with being usefully alert), it will continue to disrupt that tiredness for another couple of hours after, also. Which is a bit of problem, because that is just when some of us need to be going to sleep. The coffee/caffeine hit to keep you awake now, needed to be consumed many hours before. When we didn’t actually want it, probably.

The cumulative effect of these sorts of things is that sleep is disrupted increasingly, while the ‘hit’ that we seek is significantly reduced from that pleasant surge or euphoria that we seek. Something of the same effect that a few less acceptable recreational pharmaceutical substances have. But they are strictly controlled. The other cumulative effect is that we rapidly degrade the benefit. There’s a sort of saturation that we become accustomed to. To get the hit, we need more, and that easily turns into a viscous circle.

It might be that the Italians had this mastered a while back. 5am, a couple of espressos, (the sort that seem to clear the sinuses, flare the pupils, and sharpen the hearing) a sweet pastry, and an energy surge that would kickstart the day. I enjoyed that. After a week, though, I noticed that the pulse tended towards rapid, and the ability to respond was instantaneous, if a little unclear.

I’m not normally (or at least, wasn’t) a coffee drinker. I would usually find most coffee disappointing. Which is why I like the Mondulkiri stuff. It tastes as good as it’s aroma.
I do like the Hit of a good coffee in the morning. And because I don’t actually drink much coffee, generally, the hit is present.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:40 am
1. UK. Big box with all contents put in small plastic bags to retain freshness. (Running low, so don't ask).

2. Super Duper. They ran out of Nescafe Gold (about $12.50) and Red Cup was $6.50. (It was the same in Makro)

Where is Navy shop?

Edit:
Mine is the big jar
Is there a local popular nescafe equivalent?
:thumb:
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:47 pm I don't understand people who drink instant "coffee".
My day is often studying/work until late, going to sleep, waking up with 30 minutes to get to some place I need to. Saving 5 minutes helps a lot.
:thumb:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 am
Brody wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:49 am
hanno wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:18 am tea bags are not really good beer.
Morning pearls of wisdom from our man, hanno. :thumb:
Oh boy, when slagging off people, I should at least make sense. Going for a big mug of Nescafé now.
You slag people off in the most polite way Hanno. I didn't even notice :D
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

I always bought my coffee from the seller opposite Psah O'Russei, on your left if you're heading from Moving past the front of the market. They have the beans on display at the front of the shop on metal containers and once you chooses which ones you want, they grind them and put them in vacuum sealed bags for you. They used to always have beans from Mondulkiri, Laos, Vietnam and Brazil. They also sell tea green but I didn't ever buy any. Absolutely love their coffee and always come back with a few kilos when we visit.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Cambo Dear wrote:I always bought my coffee from the seller opposite Psah O'Russei, on your left if you're heading from Moving past the front of the market. They have the beans on display at the front of the shop on metal containers and once you chooses which ones you want, they grind them and put them in vacuum sealed bags for you. They used to always have beans from Mondulkiri, Laos, Vietnam and Brazil. They also sell tea green but I didn't ever buy any. Absolutely love their coffee and always come back with a few kilos when we visit.
I tried that place once but ended up throwing away almost 500g of dubious beans (smallest quantity they sell). They roast them the Vietnamese way with unknown oils/fragrances/flavourings (I doubt it's butter). Maybe nice if you like that style, but I found it unnerving.

The prices are also so low that no way I believe the beans are from their respective origins ("Italy", "Brazil"?). They couldn't even tell my what type of beans they were. Wouldn't recommend.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I've lost desire for coffee over time in Cambodia.

Lucky if I have five a year now.

I don't notice a "hit" from coffee, just causes indigestion for me, hours and hours later.

Tea a few times a day, but again if I don't get it, no issue.

I used drink the shitty iced coffee's a bit for a few years, but they are usually fake and I can't stand sweetened condensed milk at all, so happily pass those up also, bar a blue moon event
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Lipton’s yellow label T-bag in a (pre-warmed) large mug, fill with boiling water, mash the bag with the back of a teaspoon til a dark chestnut color is achieved, sling the used bag on the garden, add two heaped spoons of sugar, stir vigorously until dissolved completely, add a good splash of milk, stir and drink before it gets too cold.
(Fans of loose tea might want to add a couple of pinches of sawdust)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:03 pm (Fans of loose tea might want to add a couple of pinches of sawdust)
Lipton tea drinkers don't need it; they already have plenty of factory floor dust in their tea bag....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic