Tea & Coffee: Local or western?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Tea & Coffee: Local or western?

Post by Brody »

Doc67 and Brody visit hanno for an early morning java:

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Arget wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:16 am Why didn't you just say about a dick length high........... :hattip:
'cause he's hung like a tuna can.................all girth.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Laos Arabica from Sin Veng Yu. Got myself a supply shipped to Siem Reap. 1.5 USD for Sorya bus and 0.75 for Wing. Turned out to be Robusta shit. Bitter, very high coffein. I had used the last beans of the December purchase in the morning. Afternoon, made another can with the news beans. First, i thought the milk was rotten. tried the milk, all fine, same as in the morning. Cleaned the French press this morning and it had a bitter smell... Tried neighbor's espresso machine. SLightly better but still awful. Had it in a professional machine. No major improvement. Beans partly burnt, partly de-formed. Because of the roast i have no idea if the beans had spots. I did not even know that they had such bad beans in store. Might have used it as rat poison but the cats objected.

Neighbor called the company and got the run around. Finally, they accepted to replace the coffee and I am shipping it back for exchanging, I am covering the expense involved. Right now the customer service (?) and another office shift responsibility around. Let's see if this works out.
I think the problem was that the girl in the shop simply put the wrong beans in the bags and the cashier marked in good faith the bag as Arabica as she simply gets the finished bags.

Now the problem is the mistake on record and not the actual error. If somebody of the management reads this, please have a friendly talk with the staff. Such things happen and it is good policy to fix it without this loss of face drama.

I drink the stuff for years, exclusively, and friends abroad want it as a present. 12 USD per kilo is an ok price and I never had any problem before. It is one of the good deals in Cambodia. In comparison, some local coffee in Chiang Mai is comparable but at a higher price. A hajj to Mecca, speak Paksoung, is out of question at this time so Sin Veng Yu is the best case scenario. In Siem I saw only Sin Veng Yu Pailin coffee in a supermarket. No idea how old that stuff was as the supermarkets hardly acquire new stock and many shelves are empty. I bought 3 kgs and it made sense to get fresh coffee from PP also price-wise.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Bangladesh has some fantastic tea cultivation. But in down town dhaka, the locals would settle for Lipton and some other dregs- as if someone had collected up all the dust that settled out from producing the tea.

We also didn’t have a decent tea pot. :facepalm:

One way we’d brew a mediocre tea was in any old saucepan. Simmered, with a few cloves thrown in. Lends a spicy edge to the tea, without going full on chai. This was how I would make and drink tea for quite a while.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I buy Vietnamese coffee beans from opposite Orussey and get them to grind them for me (I use a plunger - that's a coffee press if you're fancy). $7/kg.

I don't understand people who drink instant "coffee".
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:47 pm I buy Vietnamese coffee beans from opposite Orussey and get them to grind them for me (I use a plunger - that's a coffee press if you're fancy). $7/kg.

I don't understand people who drink instant "coffee".
It has its uses. I prefer tea but when I am birding or hiking in some national park or other, tea is hard to come by. That is the only time I'll drink 3-in-1 coffee to get me going in the morning.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Laos Arabica from Sin Veng Yu. Got myself a supply shipped to Siem Reap. 1.5 USD for Sorya bus and 0.75 for Wing. Turned out to be Robusta shit.
Probably the dizzy shop staff. There are lots. Young and pretty with little to do.
Myanmarkid
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Myanmarkid »

There is a tea sold in the Indian spices/pickle outlets in Phnom Penh. 67 street near Psar Thmei, (I think.)

It is loose leaf named Taj Mahal. Not expensive. Great cuppa.

Let us know if you like it.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

nemo wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:31 pm
Laos Arabica from Sin Veng Yu. Got myself a supply shipped to Siem Reap. 1.5 USD for Sorya bus and 0.75 for Wing. Turned out to be Robusta shit.
Probably the dizzy shop staff. There are lots. Young and pretty with little to do.
My suspicion. Well the rotten robusta is on its way back to PP. they called again and promised to send the good stuff. Hopefully, the management sees this as an alert. They also might realize that there is a good potential in bus-order sales of coffee. No need to drink junk in Cambodia as long as Sorya bus has a stop in town.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Started out here as a tea drinker as the metal can was a good fit for my redcoat & musket.

Over time I've gone full espresso eight times a day, mostly stacked in the morning, but a couple after lunch ;) This leaves space for fresh coconuts & other fruit juice or carbonated water.

It doesn't really matter to me though, I will drink various espresso brands, use a grinder on beans, sometimes use pre-ground, and as Hanno pointed out, there are some situations where even a 3-in-1 is better than no coffee at all. On field trips that I usually take annually around the country I'm happy to go with the local black coffee, whatever that might be- I can only say that the further north you go, the better it gets.

Similarly I drink all types of tea, and again, even the dreaded Lipton Yellow Label is better than no tea in some situations.

Everyone has different tastes, so a bit of a moot question to be honest; I wouldn't want to go full civet cat on anyone's coffee choice! :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic