Tea & Coffee: Local or western?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Tea & Coffee: Local or western?

Post by paul2d »

Tea: Darjeeling. Preferred blend Margaret's Hope, Second Flush. Close second, Arya Estate.

Coffee: Caffe D'arte, Alderwood Roasted, Velletri. Suitable for both espresso or drip.

I drink far too much of both.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Black Ceylon all day long
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Starbucks on Mao Tse Toung and 71. Iced soy milk Latte with Hazelnut. Need to carry my own straws though, hate those recyclable ones they use.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:21 pm
IraHayes wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:12 pm As a life-long coffee drinker, I have moved over to drinking tea and I was wondering on the tastes/preferences of our members regarding their favorite hot beverage.
I won't be completely dropping coffee, as it will be reserved for my 1st drink of the day and the occasional latte.

So tea or coffee?
and which brand/blend?
Where can decent tea be sourced in Cambodia?
There is a very nice tea and coffee shop to the south-west of the new market, named Sin Veng Yu. Find it on google maps.
Their "special" tea is very good. Oolong is the best, it's $35 per kilo.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Love that Mondulkiri! Bought 5 bags last year in PP. Wish I could get it in Japan.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:19 pm Love that Mondulkiri! Bought 5 bags last year in PP. Wish I could get it in Japan.
We've almost run out. We used to get it via the other half's aunt. But they've emigrated, so that option is gone. We'll be looking for a convenient place to buy, if you could let me know?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

GMJS-CEO wrote:Starbucks on Mao Tse Toung and 71. Iced soy milk Latte with Hazelnut. Need to carry my own straws though, hate those recyclable ones they use.
Is carrying a bamboo or steel straw really that much of a hindrance?
Freightdog wrote:
Big Daikon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:19 pm Love that Mondulkiri! Bought 5 bags last year in PP. Wish I could get it in Japan.
We've almost run out. We used to get it via the other half's aunt. But they've emigrated, so that option is gone. We'll be looking for a convenient place to buy, if you could let me know?
As mentioned, all local roasters such as Sin Veng Yu will have some. I prefer lighter roasts with brighter/more acidic notes, so usually get coffee more from Feel Good Cafe, Drink Lab, So Wat and also from Rumble Fish in Kampot.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:00 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote:Starbucks on Mao Tse Toung and 71. Iced soy milk Latte with Hazelnut. Need to carry my own straws though, hate those recyclable ones they use.
Is carrying a bamboo or steel straw really that much of a hindrance?
Not a hindrance, well worth it. Just saying those recyclable ones are a bother, not firm enough.

When I lived in Daun Penh I used to get local coffee over at this place on 242 & 59 corner since it was a quick walk for me. They get quite busy but are fast to get the orders out.

https://goo.gl/maps/QpHBADcMeJTRCFMU9
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Coffee:

Nescafe Red Cup, big jar of it for $6.50. Available everywhere. Boiling water, 2 x saccharine tablets and a splash of skimmed milk.

As good a caffeine delivery system as anything from any dew soaked mountain side where the monkeys frolic. My bog will attest to this.

Tea:

PG Tips, pyramid ones. Same recipe as the coffee.

Beer:

Cambodia draught. In a cold glass. None of that poncy craft beer crap.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:26 am Coffee:

Nescafe Red Cup, big jar of it for $6.50. Available everywhere. Boiling water, 2 x saccharine tablets and a splash of skimmed milk.

As good a caffeine delivery system as anything from any dew soaked mountain side where the monkeys frolic. My bog will attest to this.

Tea:

PG Tips, pyramid ones. Same recipe as the coffee.

Beer:

Cambodia draught. In a cold glass. None of that poncy craft beer crap.
1. Where do you get your PG tips?

2. That's the most expensive red cup I've seen. $4.50 in Daney shop (opposite Navy shop)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic