Cambodia bans e-cigarettes

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Cambodia bans e-cigarettes

Post by atst »

YAHOO

Electronic nicotine delivery system (EDNS), or e-cigarettes and heated tobacco products (HTPs) have been banned by Cambodian authorities, according to the National Authority for Combatting Drugs’ (NACD) instruction.

Chairman of the National Authority for Combatting Drugs Ke Kim Yan released an instruction last week to ban all kinds of products related to HTPs or EDNS in Cambodia.

Currently, it said, some kinds of e-cigarettes, especially some HTPs and EDNS, are being widely sold on social media making many people, especially young people, start to use them.

The use of these e-cigarettes may be a gateway to other illicit drug use and lead to spreading deadly diseases through sharing devices, it added.

“Recently, e-cigarettes have been sold on social media, suggesting that they are safe tools to quit smoking, a safer product than regular cigarettes and do not harm the environment,” it said.

“Actually these claims contradict the World Health Organization and major health institutions around the world, which have made it clear that exposure to e-cigarettes can lead to addiction, serious lung disease and even death. It can also be a motivating factor for the use of other illegal drugs,” the instruction added.

Executive director of Cambodia Movement for Health Organisation Dr Mom Kong expressed his full support to the NACD’s action.

“On behalf of a civil society organisation, I would like to support the NACD’s action in banning the use, import and exploitation of e-cigarettes, mainly heated tobacco products (HTPs) and electronic nicotine delivery system (EDNS), because these really affect the lungs of users, which cause some deaths and other diseases,” he told Khmer Times by phone.
Dr Kong also expressed concern regarding the use of e-cigarettes during the current outbreak of COVID-19.

“When smokers share the same devices, it poses the highest risk of COVID-19 spreading, the opposite to what the government is doing to prevent the spread of the disease,” he said.

There is no data to suggest how many e-cigarrette users there are in Cambodia, but Dr Kong said the number is high, especially among youth because it has been promoted freely on social media.

There are many users of e-cigarettes in Cambodia. “We have conducted face-to-face interviews with some of the young people, but they don’t want use to use their identities,” he said.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50828739/c ... igarettes/
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Cambodia bans e-cigarettes

Post by Jerry Atrick »

They were supposed to have been banned at the same time as shisa was years and years ago, but never were.

I doubt this will have much impact and it's a Khmer times story as well...
Cameron_Newbe
Tourist

Post by Cameron_Newbe »

E-cigs got me off the Mild 7's (before they became Mevius). Hopelessly addicted to the vapes for the past 5 years or so, but 95% better than the ciggies. Plenty of scientific research shows that E-cigs are better (but what is good) than cigarettes.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... n-a-month/

The Americans ruined it with the bad fake cannaboid cartridges.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry is correct that it came about at the same time as the banning of the shisa/hooker-pipe, and they was not legal in the country, but it was viewed more has discretion, not to use the e-cigarettes in public places seemed to be the thing, more relaxed on westerners. But, for sale by social media like the quote above.
I think the talk about the situation of harm to ones health in this case, is only following suit, it's more like the shisa, someone didn't like it going on.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:36 pm Jerry is correct that it came about at the same time as the banning of the shisa/hooker-pipe, and they was not legal in the country, but it was viewed more has discretion, not to use the e-cigarettes in public places seemed to be the thing, more relaxed on westerners. But, for sale by social media like the quote above.
I think the talk about the situation of harm to ones health in this case, is only following suit, it's more like the shisa, someone didn't like it going on.
They differently throw out a hell of a lot more smoke than cigs and the pricks that smoke em in restaurants and bars know where they can stick-em
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:47 pm
AndyKK wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:36 pm Jerry is correct that it came about at the same time as the banning of the shisa/hooker-pipe, and they was not legal in the country, but it was viewed more has discretion, not to use the e-cigarettes in public places seemed to be the thing, more relaxed on westerners. But, for sale by social media like the quote above.
They differently throw out a hell of a lot more smoke than cigs and the pricks that smoke em in restaurants and bars know where they can stick-em
I agree that cigarettes throw out smoke, but e-cigarettes throw out vapour not smoke.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There is some weird idea that they are harmless going around. A relation offered my son a load of the disposable ones recently, he's a teenager and into sports so didn't want any.
The weird thing is that this relation lets his kids do these, even the 8 year old? And he's quite a respected "official" type of guy. Da fuq mon? 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:10 pm There is some weird idea that they are harmless going around. A relation offered my son a load of the disposable ones recently, he's a teenager and into sports so didn't want any.
The weird thing is that this relation lets his kids do these, even the 8 year old? And he's quite a respected "official" type of guy. Da fuq mon? 8)
That's a little interesting in a way how someone perceives the situation, in most countries the law being that of a certain age too smoke, be it cigarettes or e-cigarettes. Maybe the guy sees the situation in a different light, it maybe better than catching a group around the corner having a pull on a meth pipe.
But then again I don't believe in the quote of the original story that e-cigarettes leads to smoking drugs.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

E-cigarettes have been banned for years, along with shishas. The cops went around and closed all the shisha shops and they still raid e-cigarette sellers regularly.
post468607.html?hilit=e%20cigarettes#p468607

I also remember there was a ban on cigarette smoking in bars and restaurants at one stage years ago when I was in PP. Police were fining any bars with ashtrays on display. That might've been about the time that HE gave up smoking ? ;)
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

As a former social smoker, I find vaping to be less irritating than regular cigarettes since the emissions are limited to the inhalations and some of the varieties actually smell pleasant.

Certainly, an oral fixation is involved with both so it seems difficult to develop other alternative delivery systems that are acceptable to those who are addicted to nicotine.

Nevertheless, is it not possible to manufacture and distribute an ingestible or injectable form of nicotine?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic