The Perfect Margarita

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

The Perfect Margarita

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ok, another hard day at the office today trying to find the perfect margarita.
The good dose seems to be 4:3:2 - tequila, cointreau, lime - any better suggestions ?

And suggestions for alternative margaritas ?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: The Perfect Margarita

Post by Username Taken »

You must be doing something wrong. Isn't it just plain cheese and tomato?

wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I tended bar forever. Your recipe is too sweet IMO. If I made 'em that way 3/4 of 'em would be sent back. Spend on fresh lime juice, Cointreau is an extravagance & Triple Sec is disgusting. I see no need for either. Just add sugar into water 50/50, put in into the microwave or on the stove, & stir it up - now you've got simple syrup. Spending on a top notch tequila is a waste too. Drink that shit straight. For a 16 oz glass packed with ice you need 8 oz of liquid. 2 oz tequila, 3/4 oz simple syrup and the rest fresh lime juice. Shake it without ice and taste it. Too sour -add more sugar or too sweet - more lime juice. Reshake and pour it over the ice. The drink will taste a little better if you shake the shit outta it with the ice. This was just to get the formula down.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

i really don't like margaritas. I had it a few time and it tasted so bad for me. I like tequila.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks WJ, but we are in Cambodia - booze is so cheap - I want good tequila, real cointreau and fresh lime juice - because I can ! I don't have a microwave but lots of good booze and real limes.
By the way, 4:3:2 was a good dose :bow:
But might have to keep this for weekend cocktails - they have a hell of a kick.
Samouth wrote:i really don't like margaritas. I had it a few time and it tasted so bad for me. I like tequila.
I think the margaritas in the bars are not so good because they add ice - a good margarita has lots of tequila, then some cointreau or triple sec with fresh lime juice - shaken with ice but served without the ice - sugar and salt on the rim of the glass.
Too many cocktails in Cambodia are totally destroyed by too much ice IMO. :whip:
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

(1) "Too many cocktails in Cambodia are totally destroyed by too much ice IMO".... I must be drinking in the wrong bars. I find just the opposite. My drinks are always 1/2 full & the ice has all melted. (2) booze is so cheap - I want good tequila, real cointreau and fresh lime juice " .... That's true, but not in this case. Good tequila isn't cheap here at all & high end cordials are around what I paid in the States. Top shelf cocktails rarely taste better, but they make you feel better about yourself. Kinda like designer clothes. Usually mixing high end liquors w/fruit juices or coke is a waste of money. With/your heavily booze-centric recipe you have so little lime juice, that you're better off with good tequila. Yours Is more like a Margar-tini. I'm afraid I'd knock back a half dozen in a half hour in this climate. It still sounds too sweet, but you're drinking it not me. BTW, for other readers - Simple Syrup can be made on the stove in < 1 min.
Last edited by wackyjacky on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:Thanks WJ, but we are in Cambodia - booze is so cheap - I want good tequila, real cointreau and fresh lime juice - because I can ! I don't have a microwave but lots of good booze and real limes.
By the way, 4:3:2 was a good dose :bow:
But might have to keep this for weekend cocktails - they have a hell of a kick.
Samouth wrote:i really don't like margaritas. I had it a few time and it tasted so bad for me. I like tequila.
I think the margaritas in the bars are not so good because they add ice - a good margarita has lots of tequila, then some cointreau or triple sec with fresh lime juice - shaken with ice but served without the ice - sugar and salt on the rim of the glass.
Too many cocktails in Cambodia are totally destroyed by too much ice IMO. :whip:
Right. We drink beer and almost everything with ice. i like taking shot of Tequila. :)
Lick it, drink it and suck it :lol:

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Tequila makes me want to hurl, but margaritas are alright if they're sour enough. Ice helps everything, especially with how hot Cambodia is.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

MekongMouse wrote:Tequila makes me want to hurl, but margaritas are alright if they're sour enough. Ice helps everything, especially with how hot Cambodia is.
I think a few shot of tequila would be okay for you. I guess it would make you want to hurl as long as you drank the whole bottle. :). I tried blue margaritas a few times, but i don't like it. I like sex on the beach, but most of bars in phnom penh don't have it.

Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Samouth wrote: I like sex on the beach, but most of bars in phnom penh don't have it.
Yeah...that, not to mention the sand gets in every bodily orifice. :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic