India guy cheating around in Sihanouk Ville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
anthach
Tourist
Vietnam

India guy cheating around in Sihanouk Ville

Post by anthach »

Please be aware of India guy whom use fake sms money transfer to cheat your money.
He had cheated us at Don Bosco guesthouse, Sihanoukville..

simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Re: India guy cheating around in Sihanouk Ville

Post by simon43 »

How does a fake sms money transfer work??
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

It's probably about getting goods or services or money from someone on the strength of a fake proof of a completed money transfer. Scammers spoof the SMS notification number of, say, Wing or PayPal or a bank and then sends an unsuspecting victim an SMS which confirms money was sent or is on the way.

Convenience stores here recently offered ABA bank transfer as a payment method. I paid this way once and noticed that the cashier either just glanced at the confirmation of payment on my phone or took a picture of it for later reference (because the ABA app is on the store owner's phone who isn't present). This is unsafe because it gives criminals an opportunity to scam by creating a fake payment confirmation screen before going to the store.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

ergosemper wrote:It's probably about getting goods or services or money from someone on the strength of a fake proof of a completed money transfer. Scammers spoof the SMS notification number of, say, Wing or PayPal or a bank and then sends an unsuspecting victim an SMS which confirms money was sent or is on the way.

Convenience stores here recently offered ABA bank transfer as a payment method. I paid this way once and noticed that the cashier either just glanced at the confirmation of payment on my phone or took a picture of it for later reference (because the ABA app is on the store owner's phone who isn't present). This is unsafe because it gives criminals an opportunity to scam by creating a fake payment confirmation screen before going to the store.
Theres a new ABA card reader/app scanner device, the kiwimart near me has started using it and scrapped the common self service barcode scanner,
With the new device they type in the cost, a barcode pops up you scan it same as before, then it prints off a receipt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Rogan Josh roti on tikka leaves lassi, naan & pappa dum.

Sorry! :oops:
anthach
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by anthach »

simon43 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:51 pm How does a fake sms money transfer work??
Yes like ergosemper said.
He used fake sms sent to our phone number said that money coming to our ABA account.
Also have one more fake sms said money coming by Western Union..

This type of cheating had appeared few months ago in Phnom Penh, now it is here in Sihanouk Ville..

I just don't want other people be cheating like us..Image
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Oof. Fall for that shit?

Only once I suppose.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

Yep.. so many red flags. First, the SMS is littered with bits and pieces of errors: no space between 300.00 and USD, United Kingdom spelled with a small k, receivers (plural of receiver) as opposed to the possessive receiver's, no such thing as Western Union Transfer Wise (TransferWise was renamed 'Wise"), USD abbreviated Usd, etc.

The scammer would have failed miserably if you verified the MTCN here:

https://www.westernunion.com/global-ser ... k-transfer
anthach
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by anthach »

Yes we got it.
Thanks for your advise ergosemper.

Definitely never happen again with us and hope never happen with others people..
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

easy to spot fake IMHO
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic