Are Police Shutting Down ALL Phnom Penh Restaurants on Riverside and TTP Market Areas Now?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Are Police Shutting Down ALL Phnom Penh Restaurants on Riverside and TTP Market Areas Now?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

We have heard a report that police are swarming all over Riverside and TTP Market areas in Phnom Penh telling restaurants they need to close down immediately and not giving anyone a specific reason as to why, or for how long. It sounds like the police are currently doing this in areas where foreigners often frequent, but are being told that they are closing down restaurants in Phnom Penh for the foreseeable future. This was reportedly happening earlier this evening (Sunday, March 21, 2021) with numerous police officers going door-to-door around Phnom Penh's Riverside and Russian Market areas telling restaurants that they have to close down immediately and didn't explain anything more than that.

Any more stories like this elsewhere in the city?
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Are Police Shutting Down ALL Phnom Penh Restaurants on Riverside and TTP Market Areas Now?

Post by KTabi »

Wow, tough times.
:thumb:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Are Police Shutting Down ALL Phnom Penh Restaurants on Riverside and TTP Market Areas Now?

Post by Brody »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 am with numerous police officers going door-to-door around Phnom Penh's Riverside and Russian Market areas telling restaurants that they have to close down immediately and didn't explain anything more than that.
Awesome.

Because we see soooo many Westerners listed as new covid patients on the daily covid reports from the health ministry.

No, it's Chinese, Khmer with the odd Viet, mostly.

Yeah, go hammer down on the fucking riverside and TTP......I see tons of Chinese there.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

This was reportedly happening earlier this evening (Sunday, March 21, 2021) with numerous police officers going door-to-door around Phnom Penh's Riverside and Russian Market areas telling restaurants that they have to close down immediately

I was out for dinner at that Ukrainian restaurant on st 110 earlier that night and it was open. Walking down st 5 about 8.30pm, Larry's was still open and busy (so much for the police telling them to shut by 8pm) and Gastro place on 130 all still open.

Maybe this happened later?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 am We have heard a report that police are swarming all over Riverside and TTP Market areas in Phnom Penh telling restaurants they need to close down immediately and not giving anyone a specific reason as to why, or for how long. It sounds like the police are currently doing this in areas where foreigners often frequent, but are being told that they are closing down restaurants in Phnom Penh for the foreseeable future. This was reportedly happening earlier this evening (Sunday, March 21, 2021) with numerous police officers going door-to-door around Phnom Penh's Riverside and Russian Market areas telling restaurants that they have to close down immediately and didn't explain anything more than that.

Any more stories like this elsewhere in the city?

Harry's did not have anyone pay them a visit last night, but they were shut by 10pm. Nothing this morning (so far) I'll let you know if that changes.

However I have been reliably told that Oskar was told to close at 10.30 last night by the police, they normally stay open until 1am. I am trying to get clarification if it just early closing hours or complete closure.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:38 am
This was reportedly happening earlier this evening (Sunday, March 21, 2021) with numerous police officers going door-to-door around Phnom Penh's Riverside and Russian Market areas telling restaurants that they have to close down immediately

I was out for dinner at that Ukrainian restaurant on st 110 earlier that night and it was open. Walking down st 5 about 8.30pm, Larry's was still open and busy (so much for the police telling them to shut by 8pm) and Gastro place on 130 all still open.

Maybe this happened later?
I left Harry's at 9 pm without anything going on.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 am We have heard a report that police are swarming all over Riverside and TTP Market areas in Phnom Penh telling restaurants they need to close down immediately and not giving anyone a specific reason as to why, or for how long. It sounds like the police are currently doing this in areas where foreigners often frequent, but are being told that they are closing down restaurants in Phnom Penh for the foreseeable future. This was reportedly happening earlier this evening (Sunday, March 21, 2021) with numerous police officers going door-to-door around Phnom Penh's Riverside and Russian Market areas telling restaurants that they have to close down immediately and didn't explain anything more than that.
So, what's your damn source for this?
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Brody wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:53 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 am with numerous police officers going door-to-door around Phnom Penh's Riverside and Russian Market areas telling restaurants that they have to close down immediately and didn't explain anything more than that.
Awesome.

Because we see soooo many Westerners listed as new covid patients on the daily covid reports from the health ministry.

Yeah, go hammer down on the fucking riverside and TTP......I see tons of Chinese there.

Yes let's make it all about race because it's unfair when it affects my life but ok when it affects other people lives.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

orussey98 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:10 am
Awesome.

Yes let's make it all about race because it's unfair when it affects my life but ok when it affects other people lives.
Yeah, that's where I'm coming from. How you extrapolated that beggars belief.

If there were tons of westerners on the infection list I'd be all for shuttering western visited areas.

But the way things appear to be happening just looks slipshod and disorganized.

I follow the science, not race. And the list of infected people show very few westerners at the moment.
Route66
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Route66 »

Brody wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:17 am
orussey98 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:10 am
Awesome.

Yeah, that's where I'm coming from. How you extrapolated that beggars belief.

If there were tons of westerners on the infection list I'd be all for shuttering western visited areas.

But the way things appear to be happening just looks slipshod and disorganized.

I follow the science, not race. And the list of infected people show very few westerners at the moment.
Don't bother explaining anything to that..[Mod edit: no need for that]. Everyone with an I.Q. over 100 and common sense understood what you meant the first time. And it was spot on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic