Are Police Shutting Down ALL Phnom Penh Restaurants on Riverside and TTP Market Areas Now?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Are Police Shutting Down ALL Phnom Penh Restaurants on Riverside and TTP Market Areas Now?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

There was a prakas two days ago that sort of bans any places of gathering/internet access (coffee shops seemed to be the main target). Could be related. I saw the official announcement but it didn't make it on CEO for whatever reason.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
EarlthePearl
Tourist
Canada

Re: Are Police Shutting Down ALL Phnom Penh Restaurants on Riverside and TTP Market Areas Now?

Post by EarlthePearl »

The riverside restaurants that have been open for the last few weeks are currently open, including Larry’s, Harry’s, Olala, and such
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Brody wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:17 am
Yeah, that's where I'm coming from. How you extrapolated that beggars belief.

If there were tons of westerners on the infection list I'd be all for shuttering western visited areas.

But the way things appear to be happening just looks slipshod and disorganized.

I follow the science, not race. And the list of infected people show very few westerners at the moment.

Have you been out lately?

You didn't notice chinese places and many khmer places are close for 15 days now? While bassac lane and TTP are full of westerners and running as normal.

You follow science not race ? So the virus aimed at khmer, chinese and not westerner? What kind of science is that.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:40 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 am We have heard a report that police are swarming all over Riverside and TTP Market areas in Phnom Penh telling restaurants they need to close down immediately and not giving anyone a specific reason as to why, or for how long. It sounds like the police are currently doing this in areas where foreigners often frequent, but are being told that they are closing down restaurants in Phnom Penh for the foreseeable future. This was reportedly happening earlier this evening (Sunday, March 21, 2021) with numerous police officers going door-to-door around Phnom Penh's Riverside and Russian Market areas telling restaurants that they have to close down immediately and didn't explain anything more than that.

Any more stories like this elsewhere in the city?

Harry's did not have anyone pay them a visit last night, but they were shut by 10pm. Nothing this morning (so far) I'll let you know if that changes.

However I have been reliably told that Oskar was told to close at 10.30 last night by the police, they normally stay open until 1am. I am trying to get clarification if it just early closing hours or complete closure.
UPDATE

Manager of Oskar confirms it is just early closing time and at 10.30 it doesn't really affect any other Riverside place.

Nobody has been into Harry's so far today regarding closing times so it's 10pm as usual

PANIC OVER
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:20 pm PANIC OVER
Nice. :thumb:

Perhaps when CEOCambodiaNews does not have a source to cite......they should not post unsubstantiated rumor.

CEOCambodiaNews is for official news.

General Mack is for unsubstantiated rumor.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:32 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:20 pm PANIC OVER
Nice. :thumb:

Perhaps when CEOCambodiaNews does not have a source to cite......they should not post unsubstantiated rumor.

CEOCambodiaNews is for official news.

General Mack is for unsubstantiated rumor.
In fairness to CEONews, the tittle does say "ArePolice shutting down...etc. It also asked for any more stories out there.

I read it as a call to arms for people on the ground to chime in and confirm or dispel the rumour, and that happened pretty damn quick.

However, I agree with you entirely about General Mack, he's an outrage.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:41 pm In fairness to CEONews, the tittle does say "ArePolice shutting down...etc. It also asked for any more stories out there.

I read it as a call to arms for people on the ground to chime in and confirm or dispel the rumour, and that happened pretty damn quick.

However, I agree with you entirely about General Mack, he's an outrage.
I don't fully agree.

As a community, we should view CEOCambodiaNews as a trusted outlet for the latest substantiated news.

I wouldn't expect to read a news article in a newspaper where the journalist is asking me what I know about a rumor. I want dependable news from a news source.

They should be delineated in my opinion.

If Gen Mack had posed the question about the rumor, I would have lent it very little weight and went on about my day.

I hold CEOCambodiaNews to a higher standard.

Maybe that's my mistake.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

A friend of mine who owns a restaurant in TTP messaged me last night that Police had instructed him to close his restaurant, no further details, and they were going restaurant-to-restaurant shutting them all down, so definitely wasn't just a rumour.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Currently having a beer at the Riverside...

Time stamp: 17.41
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic