Uncle and Nephew Electrocuted in Phnom Penh Works

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Uncle and Nephew Electrocuted in Phnom Penh Works

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): At 3:30pm on March 20, 2021, two workers received an electric shock that killed one man and seriously injured the other one, on Street 351 in Ta Ngao Krom village, Khan Chbar Ampov, Phnom Penh.
There are 2 victims, who are a young man and his uncle:
1. Name: Siam Phanna, Male, 27 years old, Occupation: Sewer worker. (Deceased)
2. Name: Lat Ran, Male, 43 years old (Injured)

A group of 5 workers were contracted to install the sewer at the above point with a digger, when they heard a man shouting for help. The workers rushed to help, but there was electricity running through the machine which was touching the power line above. The younger victim was taken to Chbar Ampov District Referral Hospital, but on arrival at the hospital, doctors said that he was dead. The man's uncle was injured but is still being treated.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Uncle and Nephew Electrocuted in Phnom Penh Works

Post by Jerry Atrick »

*One man was electrocuted.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:50 pm *One man was electrocuted.
I thought so too, and it has come up before that people were shocked but not killed and it was called electrocution. So I looked it up and it can also mean injury by electric shock. I think electrocution is too broadly defined then and it ought to be narrowed to mean death only. Or another word used. Or maybe another word exists but isn't commonly used.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Marty wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:57 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:50 pm *One man was electrocuted.
I thought so too, and it has come up before that people were shocked but not killed and it was called electrocution. So I looked it up and it can also mean injury by electric shock. I think electrocution is too broadly defined then and it ought to be narrowed to mean death only. Or another word used. Or maybe another word exists but isn't commonly used.
Fair enough. I was always under the impression that electrocute is always used to mean death by electric shock. Electrification is where somebody gets a jolt but lives.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

It's one of those words whose meanings have changed over time. Next there'll be people who survived being executed.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Can I assume from the pedantry that nobody really gives a shit about these two?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:52 am Can I assume from the pedantry that nobody really gives a shit about these two?
I give not only one shit, but two shits. One shit for each of these two. I've worked around electricity and been zapped a few times, so sorry to hear about these two working stiffs (no pun intended) who're just trying to make a living, but without proper safety training.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Marty wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:02 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:52 am Can I assume from the pedantry that nobody really gives a shit about these two?
I give not only one shit, but two shits. One shit for each of these two. I've worked around electricity and been zapped a few times, so sorry to hear about these two working stiffs (no pun intended) who're just trying to make a living, but without proper safety training.
these two working stiffs (no pun intended)

It was certainly intended when you typed your disclaimer.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I guess people do care, but news like this makes people (at least me) more cynical about the whole covid approach.
What's the tally for preventable deaths due to accidents, mismanagement, misdiagnosis etc etc without even the cheapest measure taken?

RIP to these two guys who made a mistake and paid the highest price.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:04 am
Marty wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:02 am
these two working stiffs (no pun intended)

It was certainly intended when you typed your disclaimer.
Well yes, it's a complex and confusing world. Like I said I've been zapped only a few times in many years of working around it due to excellent safety training and also being properly equipped. I've walked off jobs when they became unsafe, but these two dudes surely didn't have that luxury.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic