Uncle and Nephew Electrocuted in Phnom Penh Works

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Uncle and Nephew Electrocuted in Phnom Penh Works

Post by Doc67 »

Marty wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:13 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:04 am
Marty wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:02 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:52 am Can I assume from the pedantry that nobody really gives a shit about these two?
I give not only one shit, but two shits. One shit for each of these two. I've worked around electricity and been zapped a few times, so sorry to hear about these two working stiffs (no pun intended) who're just trying to make a living, but without proper safety training.
these two working stiffs (no pun intended)

It was certainly intended when you typed your disclaimer.
Well yes, it's a complex and confusing world. Like I said I've been zapped only a few times in many years of working around it due to excellent safety training and also being properly equipped. I've walked off jobs when they became unsafe, but these two dudes surely didn't have that luxury.
There does seem to be a large number who die from electric shock. You said you have been zapped a couple of times, and a friend of mine form the UK has also caught a couple and he has a very healthy attitude and respect for the stuff. It sounds like you are the same.

Yet here, that are dying at the rate of one a week it seems, and those are the ones we hear about. Wearing Flip-Flops instead of solid rubber boots perhaps?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:41 am
Marty wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:13 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:04 am
Marty wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:02 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:52 am Can I assume from the pedantry that nobody really gives a shit about these two?
I give not only one shit, but two shits. One shit for each of these two. I've worked around electricity and been zapped a few times, so sorry to hear about these two working stiffs (no pun intended) who're just trying to make a living, but without proper safety training.
these two working stiffs (no pun intended)

It was certainly intended when you typed your disclaimer.
Well yes, it's a complex and confusing world. Like I said I've been zapped only a few times in many years of working around it due to excellent safety training and also being properly equipped. I've walked off jobs when they became unsafe, but these two dudes surely didn't have that luxury.
There does seem to be a large number who die from electric shock. You said you have been zapped a couple of times, and a friend of mine form the UK has also caught a couple and he has a very healthy attitude and respect for the stuff. It sounds like you are the same.

Yet here, that are dying at the rate of one a week it seems, and those are the ones we hear about. Wearing Flip-Flops instead of solid rubber boots perhaps?
Yes could be that. It is high enough voltage to need only milliamps to go through your heart and kill ya. So proper electrical safety shoes would be a must. Anybody working around electricity gets in the habit of doing things with one hand when possible to keep it from going from hand to hand, and through the heart that way. The guy that lived either didn't have an electrical pathway through his heart or have enough electricity for enough time thru the heart to kill him. Bottom line is training, and keeping your wits about you when messing with lethal voltages. But life is cheap in most of SE Asia in all industries. I've noticed that in Malaysia, they use the super-safe British type of electrical plugs/outlets. Didn't spend enough time there to know if guys working with it have the same disregard for safety I've seen everywhere in Asia except Japan.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:41 am

From what I had seen in many countries utility workers often skip safety checks as to whether a thing is live or not and various protocol to prevent deaths and accidents. I assume either they were digging and hit a line or they were working on a line they thought was dead. Those are common accident scenarios.
:thumb:
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

I was going to add: Why were they working on an energized circuit? But in re-reading the OP, they were not even electrical workers. It makes this accident especially unfortunate because the real problem here was communication.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Sorry for the guys, but the mention of training is so esentiall for workers in this country, and they can learn from other countries. Health and safety awareness should be mandatory.
Too be careful you would think, with so many cables overhead, it was only a few weeks ago that the JCB cut my wifi cable, lucky that day none of the live cables got hit.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:19 pm Sorry for the guys, but the mention of training is so esentiall for workers in this country, and they can learn from other countries. Health and safety awareness should be mandatory.
Too be careful you would think, with so many cables overhead, it was only a few weeks ago that the JCB cut my wifi cable, lucky that day none of the live cables got hit.
Overhead cables here tend to be insulated; and often you can see the kids working the high loads, lifting the cables above the load etc.

Dangerous business
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:24 pm
AndyKK wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:19 pm Sorry for the guys, but the mention of training is so esentiall for workers in this country, and they can learn from other countries. Health and safety awareness should be mandatory.
Overhead cables here tend to be insulated; and often you can see the kids working the high loads, lifting the cables above the load etc.

Dangerous business
Yeah, high voltage is dangerous even when insulated. Should always be deenergized. The insulation fails frequently.
:thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic