Chinese Whispers and Broken Eggs on Social Media

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chinese Whispers and Broken Eggs on Social Media

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Sihanoukville): On the morning of March 20, 2021,it was posted on a social media page that a security man at the Chinese market broke a basket of duck eggs, because the egg-seller refused to pay him 30,000 riel for protection. The poster was indignant on behalf on the poor duck seller who was bullied by the security guard.

However, following this post, a spokesman at the market posted to say that this story is not true and the case is a simple misunderstanding, since the security guards and duck egg sellers are always horsing around and joking with each other. Unfortunately, on this occasion, due to over-playfulness, the basket full of duck eggs fell to the ground and many of them smashed.
This problem was immediately resolved by the market agreeing to pay the full amount for the broken eggs, and there is no problem between the market security services and the sellers. Please find out the real information before posting on social media.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Chinese Whispers and Broken Eggs on Social Media

Post by Arget »

I thought I saw a pink elephant or was it a flying pig?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

It's very sad the playful intentions of the powers that be are misunderstood.
Maybe a lack of education?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Arget wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:48 pm I thought I saw a pink elephant or was it a flying pig?
Anyway, it's all sorted, right ? The best way to get a resolution to your problems is to post it on FB. TIC.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:47 pm a security man at the Chinese market
Where is the Chinese market? :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:20 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:47 pm a security man at the Chinese market
I'd guess one of the new "Chinese markets" set up in Sihanoukville. Otherwise they would have said Psar Leu or whatever.
It's hard to know who is telling the truth here, but if it is a Chinese market run by and for Chinese people, then maybe they have Chinese security guards, and they might not have been joking. Followed up by damage control by the market spokesperson on social media. (Just speculating. Not spreading fake news of course. )
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I cannot read Khmer, but I guess it says something like, When going to a Chinese market, Dont put all your eggs in one basket.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:50 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:20 am
I'd guess one of the new "Chinese markets" set up in Sihanoukville. Otherwise they would have said Psar Leu or whatever.
It's hard to know who is telling the truth here, but if it is a Chinese market run by and for Chinese people, then maybe they have Chinese security guards, and they might not have been joking. Followed up by damage control by the market spokesperson on social media. (Just speculating. Not spreading fake news of course. )
This problem was immediately resolved by the market agreeing to pay the full amount for the broken eggs

In all you time AM, have you ever seen any officialdom accepting an error and paying out on the spot?

It seems that social media is the one thing that really unnerves them, perhaps because this little income source is not reported up the food chain.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

What, duck eggs, no quail eggs?
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

You have to break some eggs to make an omelette...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic