ABA Bank ATMs

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

ABA Bank ATMs

Post by samrong01 »

Has anyone noticed that ABA Bank are now stocking their ATMs with only $50 and $100 bills? This is happening in Siem Reap where I have tried many ATMs all over town. Is it the same in Phnom Penh and elsewhere? I also noticed that Prasac only had $100 bills but this may just have been the one ATM and they have very few.

Its annoying but worse for Khmer people on meagre salaries who commonly withdraw only $10 or $20 to meet their expenses.

Does anyone know if its a temporary shortage of bills or another reduction in service for the bank's convenience? Are other banks doing the same?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: ABA Bank ATMs

Post by Doc67 »

samrong01 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:09 am Has anyone noticed that ABA Bank are now stocking their ATMs with only $50 and $100 bills? This is happening in Siem Reap where I have tried many ATMs all over town. Is it the same in Phnom Penh and elsewhere? I also noticed that Prasac only had $100 bills but this may just have been the one ATM and they have very few.

Its annoying but worse for Khmer people on meagre salaries who commonly withdraw only $10 or $20 to meet their expenses.

Does anyone know if its a temporary shortage of bills or another reduction in service for the bank's convenience? Are other banks doing the same?
ABA have made it's e-cash available in multiples of $100 only. Any less and you have to use Riel. I have all but stopped using $'s and wont accept $1, $5 or $10 in change anymore. From E-Cash I get 400,000KHR at a time in crisp new 50K notes. Much better.

If you have an ABA account in $'s, you can get a KHR one through the app. The just transfer $'s across and draw out 50,000KHR at a time ($12.50). Why a Khmer would have a $ only ABA account is beyond me.

This is all part of dropping the $ for day to day cash transactions.

business-and-finance/aba-cash-facility- ... 43544.html
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Sorry never saw your original thread. So it seems to be policy now. Are other banks doing the same do you know? A reason for using USD is that the shops give you a lousy exchange rate and my wallet is always jammed with low-denomination riel.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

NBC strategy for encouraging use of the Riel. ABA's KHR eCash facility can now be drawn from both USD and KHR accounts (used to be USD from USD account and KHR from KHR account exclusively). This means it is now possible to withdraw, for example, 50k or 100k KHR via eCash from a USD account.

I opened a KHR account on the app. Very practical as this now gives me the option to settle in either currency when using ABA Pay.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Is people's faith in the riel so high? I don't like USD but I would rather hold that when possible.
:thumb:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

samrong01 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:09 am Has anyone noticed that ABA Bank are now stocking their ATMs with only $50 and $100 bills? This is happening in Siem Reap where I have tried many ATMs all over town. Is it the same in Phnom Penh and elsewhere? I also noticed that Prasac only had $100 bills but this may just have been the one ATM and they have very few.

it varies, it often just depends what the ATM notes the machine has available, the 10s and 20s obviously get used up first leaving only 50s and 100s, sometimes i go to machines and it only has 50s and 100s, the next week its stocked up with 10s and 20s

also my ABA account is in $$ but you can still take out Riel from the ATMS if you want
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Most ATM's have a sticker with the available notes stuck on it. If it doesn't have the denomination you want withdraw Khmer riels.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Acleda still has $20 and sometimes even $10.

It’s nearly impossible to get $5 or $1 now which incentivzes using e money.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic