So, what's going on in Siem Reap?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: So, what's going on in Siem Reap?

Post by Multipox »

Biffsm wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:47 pm My building has free hot water...sinks and shower...first apartment I did not have crummy unit in shower only.
Use AC in bedroom...reasonable rate...
Best place to go through covid...in my book
How much a month?
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

I pay $350 for 1br...one year lease.
I think most units are 2br.
Not sure what they go for.
It is apartment or a hotel...depends on your contract.
KT apartment...google map it..
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Nine months later from thread start . . .

Fresh videos are showing a much cleaner, neater Siem Reap. Much of the paving is done, sidewalks installed. But I see many intersection light standards without any traffic lights installed yet. They're still finishing the street surfacing at the south end of Sivutha Blvd. Probably elsewhere, too.

Here's a 24-hour-old video shot around dinner hour yesterday, I guess. Heavy traffic, lots of shops open, as well as restaurants and bars open in Pub Street and elsewhere. Pub Street is looking shipshape. :beer3: Overall, the town is looking very, uh, modern. :lol:

There are some new daytime videos posted at long-running sr-infrastructure https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLONee ... 3bg/videos on YT. Again, looking almost ready to welcome us fat wallets. :bow:

From sr-infrastructure on YT posted today:

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Getting the infrastructure on the roadways makes a big difference too an area such as Siem Reap in particular with its norm of a multitude of visitors. In doing the work it should limit congestion and help keep accidents to a minimum. What is more outstanding is the actual pavement's, unobstructed giving people a safe place to walk away from busy traffic.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:37 pm Getting the infrastructure on the roadways makes a big difference too an area such as Siem Reap in particular with its norm of a multitude of visitors. In doing the work it should limit congestion and help keep accidents to a minimum. What is more outstanding is the actual pavement's, unobstructed giving people a safe place to walk away from busy traffic.
Actual sidewalks (a.k.a. pavements) encourage walking, which is what I prefer to do. Pedestrian life in Thailand is fraught with obstacles, including broken and/or sunken pavers, actual holes in the surface, maintenance covers that can tip or break, well, you know the drill: ducking, dodging, bumping and diving out of the way of motorcycles, low-flying signs, mid-path poles, hanging wires, on and on.

Siem Reap has got the right idea. The raised sidewalks and what looks like parking lanes, discourage the Lexus brick heads who think nothing of riding and blocking the walking paths. I think I will need to inspect the situation sometime in the new year.

CEO members in SR, comments?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:06 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:37 pm Getting the infrastructure on the roadways makes a big difference too an area such as Siem Reap in particular with its norm of a multitude of visitors. In doing the work it should limit congestion and help keep accidents to a minimum. What is more outstanding is the actual pavement's, unobstructed giving people a safe place to walk away from busy traffic.
Actual sidewalks (a.k.a. pavements) encourage walking, which is what I prefer to do. Pedestrian life in Thailand is fraught with obstacles, including broken and/or sunken pavers, actual holes in the surface, maintenance covers that can tip or break, well, you know the drill: ducking, dodging, bumping and diving out of the way of motorcycles, low-flying signs, mid-path poles, hanging wires, on and on.

Siem Reap has got the right idea. The raised sidewalks and what looks like parking lanes, discourage the Lexus brick heads who think nothing of riding and blocking the walking paths. I think I will need to inspect the situation sometime in the new year.

CEO members in SR, comments?
In Sihanoukville people are actually parking their cars on the side of the road and new sidewalks are left for pedestrians and bicycles. There's bit of bicycle boom going in the city thanks to the new roads.

Developments in SR looks very nice and the town start to look very liveable place now.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I'm just hoping that they "finish" the work. About 6 weeks ago they stopped working on the roads out where we live and moved all those guys into the town to try to get as much of that done before the new year. One of the Videos showed road towards Wat Damnak into town. But if you take same road away from town you'll soon run into nothing but gravel and further you'll find some dirt roads that were graded but then work stopped. So if they return and finish then the "system" should work well. If they don't then I anticipate traffic patterns will change and we'll end up with more congestion.

Some of the roads are quite good. The one thing they don't seem to have thought through is the road shoulders. They have put in several concrete roads here that are several centimeters raised from the roadside and at night there are going to be some ugly moto accidents on the curves. One of the engineers told me they expect the local homeowners to take care of the road shoulders but from what I'm looking at that is an unrealistic proposition. One would have to buy dirt/gravel to create a slope and then either find a way to get it paved or pour your own concrete to make it permanent.

We'll see.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic