So, what's going on in Siem Reap?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: So, what's going on in Siem Reap?

Post by ExPenhMan »

^^^ Great report. ^^^

Construction throughout this year will mean a rather unharmonious living environment. When it's over, assuming a tourism return at the end of the year, the result will probably spark price hikes all over. Anyway, I'm still fond of SR and will give it a look-see in late autumn, if that's possible then.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:42 am So, SR is in much like the condition noted in an earlier thread months ago. If you like to walk, drink and eat alone, with the bonus of filthy air, construction noise and power outages, SR is the place. Sad indeed.

Also sounds much like the situation in multiple Thai cities, such as Pattaya, Hua Hin and Koh Samui, to name a few. I watched four videos done in Koh Samui the last few months of 2020, nothing but deep desolation and even greater disarray than in Pattaya.

Yeah, I was looking for a light in end of the tunnel. I guess it was a stretch to think I'd bolt to Siem Reap in a month or two.

Many thanks for the reports, guys.

PS: Any idea of the timeline for the end of the street construction? At some point, I still hope to do a reconnaissance in SR.

PPS: I'm in Bangkok which is why I was asking for a State of Siem Reap report.
Timeline for completion: the plan is called the "38 street plan", and aims to reconstruct SR infrastructure this year. According to the KH news, the plan is 17% completed and will be finished this year. What makes it difficult is that they are doing all 38 streets at the same time, leading to vehicular chaos until you get to know the short-cuts.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

lagrange wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:39 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:42 am So, SR is in much like the condition noted in an earlier thread months ago. If you like to walk, drink and eat alone, with the bonus of filthy air, construction noise and power outages, SR is the place. Sad indeed.

Also sounds much like the situation in multiple Thai cities, such as Pattaya, Hua Hin and Koh Samui, to name a few. I watched four videos done in Koh Samui the last few months of 2020, nothing but deep desolation and even greater disarray than in Pattaya.

Yeah, I was looking for a light in end of the tunnel. I guess it was a stretch to think I'd bolt to Siem Reap in a month or two.

PS: Any idea of the timeline for the end of the street construction? At some point, I still hope to do a reconnaissance in SR.

Timeline for completion: the plan is called the "38 street plan", and aims to reconstruct SR infrastructure this year. According to the KH news, the plan is 17% completed and will be finished this year. What makes it difficult is that they are doing all 38 streets at the same time, leading to vehicular chaos until you get to know the short-cuts.
Wow, 38 roads all at once. Quelle drag. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out. I hope. Am now thinking then early 2022.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:49 pm
lagrange wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:39 pm

Wow, 38 roads all at once. Quelle drag. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out. I hope. Am now thinking then early 2022.
Probably will take longer to finish the road works. In Sihanoukville the road works are still ongoing with now planned completion time khmer new year next month. So about 6-7 months later than originally planned.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

There is also a new Covid scare. The Missus and Princess went to hospital yesterday. Just after they came back, they were informed that they had found someone with Covid at the hospital. She has not been told what to do yet, i.e. quarantine.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Do they have the power blackouts in SR as they do in PP?
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Multipox wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:32 am Do they have the power blackouts in SR as they do in PP?
From samrong01 on page 1 of this thread:
Damn right on everything. Don't forget the dust and the myriad of closed roads which change every day. Not to mention frequent power cuts. Single lane highway towards the airport for all traffic including motos and bicycles. Its downright dangerous to ride a bicycle now.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

My building has free hot water...sinks and shower...first apartment I did not have crummy unit in shower only.
I love steaming showers...hot water for dishes, and a shave or wash hands.
I looked hard for this place.
Siem Reap is going to be ok.
They are putting in on average 1 meter diameter storm sewer lines...even bigger....it has caused a great deal of chaos...
I have a 3 burner built in range..my own oven.
So, do not need delivery or eating out.
I have it better now...since mid January, than in 5 other places in Cambodia..3 units in SR...
I love SR...
Glad I have about 8 months on my lease.
When the power goes out..the diesel generator kicks in.
Use AC in bedroom...reasonable rate...
Best place to go through covid...in my book
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

lagrange wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:39 pm Timeline for completion: the plan is called the "38 street plan", and aims to reconstruct SR infrastructure this year. According to the KH news, the plan is 17% completed and will be finished this year. What makes it difficult is that they are doing all 38 streets at the same time, leading to vehicular chaos until you get to know the short-cuts.
Can't help but think..is there allowance in that timeframe for the imminent rainy season..thinking mud, mud and more mud :mrgreen:
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

I do not think hardship, convenience or mud enter into this project.
It will be finished when it is finished.
If you were here you would see that it has never been about finishing before the rainy season.
The workers and public just cope with the chaos and extra work.
Reminds me of Sihanouk when I got evicted in early 2018....tough shitski...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic