Positive effects of COVID (in your life, or else)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Positive effects of COVID (in your life, or else)

Post by Ghostwriter »

Originally thought as a joke, but who knows ? You tell me (us).

Well, for a starter, meth addicts don't need to be creative at the moment when looking for strategies to deflect the attention of the interviewer about their crooked teeths in jobs interviews, thanks to the masks.

Your turn. Stay positive.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Positive effects of COVID (in your life, or else)

Post by Doc67 »

I was in London last March, due to need not desire. The lockdown begun and so did my period of zero booze, careful eating and 5 mile daily walks.

By July I had lost 2 stone. That's 28lb in American. Or 12 Kilos in French. I got back into my old designer shirts and felt very good. So good I brought many back with me and left all the big ones in the UK.

Since then, I have put it all back on, but had a lot of fun doing it.

Good selection of nice shirts for sale, or swap for bigger ones :D
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

A hell of a lot more drinking time and being lazy without getting in a spot. If the past year was good to you, you were either living it up like me or being a responsible good person even if just for a little bit like the doc, so it's a unique nice experience.
:thumb:
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

My daughter went back to full time university after being laid off due to covid. She had a number of low paying/future jobs up till then so I'm hoping this will set her up better for the future.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:40 am My daughter went back to full time university after being laid off due to covid. She had a number of low paying/future jobs up till then so I'm hoping this will set her up better for the future.
It's rough but crisis can be opportunity, as the corny saying goes. Good luck to her in that. It's so weird to see universities charge full price to have all online courses.
:thumb:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

KTabi wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:02 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:40 am My daughter went back to full time university after being laid off due to covid. She had a number of low paying/future jobs up till then so I'm hoping this will set her up better for the future.
It's rough but crisis can be opportunity, as the corny saying goes. Good luck to her in that. It's so weird to see universities charge full price to have all online courses.
I have thought for a long time that the old sprawling campuses are a huge waste of space and money. An out of date model now being exposed for the fraud it is. All the students having to relocate, wasting $X,000's of rent money in student accommodation, much of which is owned by the University themselves. It' a nice place for the lecturers to hang out and swan around being all lofty. But that lot have been taking the piss for years.

Why can't a top class university begin online only courses? They lectures can all be pre-recorded, the seminars interactive, all the old fashioned hand-out's with the reading lists could all be online (they probably are by now), including the reading materials. No more buying the overpriced textbooks.

The whole thing could be done for $3000 a year, with unlimited numbers. Bye bye all those trumped up poly's with their dud University status and the academic dross they employ. And bye bye to the snobbery - everyone can enrol in an Oxford University Law Degree course. The toffs from Eton can still go for the social life if they want, but they have to pay for all the upkeep of the buildings.

This is way off topic, I know. Sorry
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:35 pm
I have thought for a long time that the old sprawling campuses are a huge waste of space and money. An out of date model now being exposed for the fraud it is. All the students having to relocate, wasting $X,000's of rent money in student accommodation, much of which is owned by the University themselves. It' a nice place for the lecturers to hang out and swan around being all lofty. But that lot have been taking the piss for years.

Why can't a top class university begin online only courses? They lectures can all be pre-recorded, the seminars interactive, all the old fashioned hand-out's with the reading lists could all be online (they probably are by now), including the reading materials. No more buying the overpriced textbooks.

The whole thing could be done for $3000 a year, with unlimited numbers. Bye bye all those trumped up poly's with their dud University status and the academic dross they employ. And bye bye to the snobbery - everyone can enrol in an Oxford University Law Degree course. The toffs from Eton can still go for the social life if they want, but they have to pay for all the upkeep of the buildings.

It is off topic, but I agree. I'm studying with OU while working, and this is the exact model, and it works...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Yerg wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:38 pm

It is off topic, but I agree. I'm studying with OU while working, and this is the exact model, and it works...
How much per year in fees?

Do you remember the OU lectures on BBC2 late at night? The Science ones with skinny geeks with beards taking wierd stuff with blackboards and equations. Come back from the pub and watch a lecture on quantum physics :D
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 pm
Yerg wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:38 pm

How much per year in fees?

Do you remember the OU lectures on BBC2 late at night? The Science ones with skinny geeks with beards taking wierd stuff with blackboards and equations. Come back from the pub and watch a lecture on quantum physics :D
£3600 - and yeah, remember those old OU programmes. Beards and flares 😂
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Had this exact idea proposed by a college professor in March of 1995. She was proposing all of this would be possible because of the information superhighway. Everyone was looking around the class at each other wondering what she was talking about.
By the end of 1995, everyone had an email address and an AOL account.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic