Positive effects of COVID (in your life, or else)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Positive effects of COVID (in your life, or else)

Post by Alex »

For me personally, the pandemic has been great. No inane meetings to attend, no pressure to show up anywhere, WFH has become the norm. Great travel deals within Thailand, deserted dream beaches and islands that are usually overrun (just returned from Krabi, next trip is already booked).

Don't get me wrong, seeing how this has been wrecking whole industries and the livelihoods of those who work in them as well as the sanity of those who have had to endure strict lockdowns does sadden me. But since the question was, positive effects on my life, there you go.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Since the recent scare of covid, traffic has been allot more pleasant in pp...​
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cooldude wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:16 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:35 pm
KTabi wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:02 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:40 am My daughter went back to full time university after being laid off due to covid. She had a number of low paying/future jobs up till then so I'm hoping this will set her up better for the future.
It's rough but crisis can be opportunity, as the corny saying goes. Good luck to her in that. It's so weird to see universities charge full price to have all online courses.
I have thought for a long time that the old sprawling campuses are a huge waste of space and money. An out of date model now being exposed for the fraud it is. All the students having to relocate, wasting $X,000's of rent money in student accommodation, much of which is owned by the University themselves. It' a nice place for the lecturers to hang out and swan around being all lofty. But that lot have been taking the piss for years.

Why can't a top class university begin online only courses? They lectures can all be pre-recorded, the seminars interactive, all the old fashioned hand-out's with the reading lists could all be online (they probably are by now), including the reading materials. No more buying the overpriced textbooks.

The whole thing could be done for $3000 a year, with unlimited numbers. Bye bye all those trumped up poly's with their dud University status and the academic dross they employ. And bye bye to the snobbery - everyone can enrol in an Oxford University Law Degree course. The toffs from Eton can still go for the social life if they want, but they have to pay for all the upkeep of the buildings.

This is way off topic, I know. Sorry
Had this exact idea proposed by a college professor in March of 1995. She was proposing all of this would be possible because of the information superhighway. Everyone was looking around the class at each other wondering what she was talking about.
By the end of 1995, everyone had an email address and an AOL account.
I was in University in 1995 and quickly realised what a huge waste of time most of it was. And in those days there were no tuition fees. If I was paying £9000 a year I would be going bonkers by now.

I am also fairly sure 1995 was when I got my AOL email address and still have it today!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the beaches are lovely, and the seas, oceans, rivers around the world are for the most part, trash/people free
The skies are clearer.

the world needed this restart
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Sorry can't think of anything covid has improved in my life, except maybe the place is a lot quieter
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

atst wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:25 pm Sorry can't think of anything covid has improved in my life, except maybe the place is a lot quieter
I wouldn't presume your situation but perhaps it is made you appreciate your situation better? Many have been out of a job for more than a year now and are neck deep in debt.
:thumb:
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I am positive I am eating too much and not getting enough exercise. = fat
I am positive I have wasted a year not learning to speak Khmer.= still dumb
I am positive I watch too much screen based entertainment.= square eyes
I am positive that I have not tested positive for STDs =Whew :Yahoo!:

I hope I am negative for Covid 19
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Of course it's been devastating for local businesses relying on tourists (incl Mrs Cargo now jobless) however with the first high season without tourists and locals not going out as much, it's easy getting around on the moto these days, no trouble finding a seat in a restaurant and not busy/relatively quiet around Riverside where I live.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I’ve enjoyed going to the tourist spots with no tourists. I already worked from home so no change there, just less meetings.

I’d also imagine the stimulus is pretty nice for expats. A married expat with two kids getting $8k while in Cambodia is a nice boost.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

I saved a bunch of money last year and started writing a textbook.

OTOH, cabin fever is driving me nuts and the job market was a bit rough.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic