news at the moment

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: news at the moment

Post by xandreu »

I get that it's probably a good idea to keep up to date with what's going on, but there are many stories I read on here where I'm left thinking "what a tragic tale, but what am I supposed to do with this information exactly?' - especially the more gruesome Khmer on Khmer crimes that appear on here quite a lot.

I know we live (or many of us do anyway) in Cambodia so in many ways, this is no different to reading the local newspapers back home, and that you could make the same "this has nothing to do with me so why do I need to know about it?" argument, and to be honest, I do.

Personally, I would prefer less stories which are largely irrelevant to expats living in Cambodia, such as Khmer on Khmer rapes, murders, body hackings etc, and more stories which are, such as political, business, economic and anything that directly or indirectly affects us as expats in Cambodia.

Just my two cents though.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Brought up the same subject a few weeks/month ago with the usual "scroll on by if you don't like it" responses and the general consensus appearing to be most members like the hack, burn and crash stories. It's true we've the choice to read it or not, I guess, and with the CEO demographic being what it is I understand why it's gobbled up.

I recently read an article of a thousand year-old Khmer iron furnace discovered by archaeologists which is aiding scientists in their understanding of the earth's magnetic field - thought about posting it, then decided against it as it doesn't appear many are interested in those types of stories, preferring to read how yet another Cambodian got beheaded or raped. CEO will be what it will be and it's each individual's decision if they want to read it.

Personally, I haven't participated or read much as a consequence of the endless gore and violence..
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

...... but you can't say too much about that.

[Mod edit: That's right. Members need to be careful about posting opinions about the government here]
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

I get endless entertainment and enjoyment from the violent attacks with meat cleaver stories. More of those please. I am positive that those reported by CEOCambodiaGossipNews are only the tip of the iceberg and a lot more happen than get reported.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:20 pm Brought up the same subject a few weeks/month ago with the usual "scroll on by if you don't like it" responses and the general consensus appearing to be most members like the hack, burn and crash stories. It's true we've the choice to read it or not, I guess, and with the CEO demographic being what it is I understand why it's gobbled up.

I recently read an article of a thousand year-old Khmer iron furnace discovered by archaeologists which is aiding scientists in their understanding of the earth's magnetic field - thought about posting it, then decided against it as it doesn't appear many are interested in those types of stories, preferring to read how yet another Cambodian got beheaded or raped. CEO will be what it will be and it's each individual's decision if they want to read it.

Personally, I haven't participated or read much as a consequence of the endless gore and violence..
Why not post everything? I don’t see why it has to be an either/or choice, it’s not like we’re limited for space and some stories have to be sacrificed to leave room for others.
Personally I don’t “like” the murder/rape articles, but I’d rather be aware of them than not, and this site is my go to source of Khmer news.
FWIW I’d have read your archeological article also.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Marty wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:35 pm I get endless entertainment and enjoyment from the violent attacks with meat cleaver stories. More of those please. I am positive that those reported by CEOCambodiaGossipNews are only the tip of the iceberg and a lot more happen than get reported.
Have a word with yourself mate, how old are you, 13?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Maybe separate the gruesome local news which do not involve expats in another thread ?
Would it be bad to segregate news depending on expats involvement ?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Why are negative news stories more popular?

A well documented reality I’m afraid....
https://www.psypost.org/2020/03/negativ ... news-56180

The article above provides an interesting answer.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:03 pm
Marty wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:35 pm I get endless entertainment and enjoyment from the violent attacks with meat cleaver stories. More of those please. I am positive that those reported by CEOCambodiaGossipNews are only the tip of the iceberg and a lot more happen than get reported.
Have a word with yourself mate, how old are you, 13?
Thank you for the vote of confidence, Chad. I'll be 13 next January.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:20 pm Brought up the same subject a few weeks/month ago with the usual "scroll on by if you don't like it" responses and the general consensus appearing to be most members like the hack, burn and crash stories. It's true we've the choice to read it or not, I guess, and with the CEO demographic being what it is I understand why it's gobbled up.

Do you mean this item that was posted 10 days ago : cambodian-culture-and-language/topic43801.html ?
The cultural section is generally SFW.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic