Crystal Meth: Global Pandemic and Kids at Risk

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Crystal Meth: Global Pandemic and Kids at Risk

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Use of crystal meth among young people is also a big problem in Cambodia right now. No jobs and no future.

'We forget our troubles': crystal meth use rises during lockdown in Zimbabwe
Harare’s drug dealers say business is booming as more young people, some at school, use mutoriro
Nyasha Chingono in Harare
Tue 16 Mar 2021 09.00 GMT

Inside a tiny room in Kuwadzana, a township in Harare, Solomon Sigauke* and his friends talk animatedly about football and listen to loud music. The misty vapour from the crystal meth fills the room as they take turns on a fluorescent pipe.

Sigauke, 25, has no cigarette lighter so he is improvises, holding a burning candle while his friend Kudzo puffs the smoke from the burning substance, known locally as mutoriro. .

It is 7pm in Kuwadzana, about nine miles from Harare’s central business district, where many youths have ventured into illicit and dangerous drugs such as mutoriro, with the numbers rising as the lockdown cut them off from jobs and their usual social lives.

Known scientifically as methamphetamine, crystal meth is a highly addictive stimulant used for its powerful euphoric effects.

Sigauke demonstrates the process of decrystallising the white chemical into a brown smoking smear. The curved pipe is made from fluorescent tubesfrom disused energy-saver lightbulbs that are cleaned and sold to drug users for $1.

As he exhales a cloud of the toxic smoke, his friends burst out laughing at Sigauke’s drooling face. “You should be careful not to ingest the smoke because it causes stomach-ache,” Sigauke explains.

Although the drug has been used in Zimbabwe for some years, its use has grown in the townships as the economic crisis grips the country, leaving few job prospects for its young people. Zimbabwe has nearly 90% unemployment, with young people worst affected.

“This drug will just make you get into another zone altogether; we can spend the whole night talking and enjoying ourselves. We live in a world of our own and can even forget about our daily troubles,” Sigauke says.

He adds that as schools have closed because of the Covid pandemic, teenagers are now joining their ranks.

“These days you find little girls taking the substance. Most of them are coming here to smoke this thing. At 1am, you will find most kids flooding the streets smoking meth – it’s like you are watching a movie. These children have become wild,” Sigauke says.

A gram of crystal meth costs $12 – a steep cost for most users in the townships and equivalent to a week’s rent on a room in a township. The drug-pushers have taken advantage of the use of foreign currency as legal tender in the country to milk the drug-thirsty market. One supplier explains that crystal meth is smuggled into the country through Zimbabwe’s porous borders with South Africa.
https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... e-lockdown
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Crystal Meth: Global Pandemic and Kids at Risk

Post by fsdfdsdf »

No choice but to legalize it and treat it as a health issue. The sooner the better but the burmese dictatorship won't be happy.
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm No choice but to legalize it and treat it as a health issue. The sooner the better but the burmese dictatorship won't be happy.
Why? So very rich people get richer? It's not a health issue it's gread and getting people hooked?
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm No choice but to legalize it and treat it as a health issue.
what kind of branding and marketing campaign do you suggest?

monstra mihi bona!
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

doubleUOglobe is not trademarked
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm No choice but to legalize it and treat it as a health issue. The sooner the better but the burmese dictatorship won't be happy.
Legalizing some drugs might work. I don't believe legalizing meth is in the public's interest. As we can see it makes people disorientated and next thing they are causing havoc and getting in trouble with the cops, later they can't remember what year they last got a visa extension and then end up in an endless loop of nonsense on social media.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

If stiff punishment to exporters and users was properly expected and common like in Singapore then most countries would not have a drug issue. The countries that rigorously execute drug traffickers see relatively little drug trafficking in Arabia and Singapore.
:thumb:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

KTabi wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:57 pm If stiff punishment to exporters and users was properly expected and common like in Singapore then most countries would not have a drug issue. The countries that rigorously execute drug traffickers see relatively little drug trafficking in Arabia and Singapore.
I read somewhere that Dutertre's nephew has been involved into importing it, so i would take precautions towards the strategy used by the penalty maker, could be clearing the market for his family's own wealth.
But yeah, not the same punishment as for weed, for sure. I would be really nasty to someone trying to sell it to, say, my kid. A few month's hospital nasty, right quick.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:29 am
KTabi wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:57 pm If stiff punishment to exporters and users was properly expected and common like in Singapore then most countries would not have a drug issue. The countries that rigorously execute drug traffickers see relatively little drug trafficking in Arabia and Singapore.
I read somewhere that Dutertre's nephew has been involved into importing it, so i would take precautions towards the strategy used by the penalty maker, could be clearing the market for his family's own wealth.
But yeah, not the same punishment as for weed, for sure. I would be really nasty to someone trying to sell it to, say, my kid. A few month's hospital nasty, right quick.
I didn't mention the Philippines as an effective strategy, Singapore is probably the standard. They've hanged more traffickers per capita than any country I think and they reap the benefits, otherwise they would be flooded as a transit point out of SEA.
:thumb:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Right.
I really hope this shit doesn't hit europe anytime soon, but this kind of plague spreads with economic troubles, so i'm not too sure about how long before we encounter it....
I guess the coke & crack network wouldn't be amused, and kind-of-firewall it somehow ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic