If you could change just 1 THING in Cambodia, what would it be?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Poll ended at Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:43 pm

Put a significant dent in Corruption
34%
Broadly Improve Healthcare Quality
2%
Generous Increases in Average Annual Wages & Better Income Equality
11%
Broadly Improve Education
21%
Broadly Improve Food & Water Safety
No votes
Big Improvements to Litter/Trash/General Pollution
11%
Significant Improvements to Road Safety
9%
Other
11%

Total votes: 53
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

Curious to see the results from CEO denizens, whether veterans, relative newcomers, or even those like myself who live in nearby countries and have visited for extended periods.

It is actually a very challenging exercise.

I decided upon 1 which I will reveal later as to not influence the results of the poll.

Get involved...
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: If you could change just 1 THING in Cambodia, what would it be?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Interesting poll. I think a dent in corruption would automatically have a positive effect on all the other issues mentioned. It's really the one thing keeping Cambodia down.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I voted for wages, but education may be the real key.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:51 pm Interesting poll. I think a dent in corruption would automatically have a positive effect on all the other issues mentioned. It's really the one thing keeping Cambodia down.
Agreed on the corruption and the tentacles it has in the other issues mentioned, as well as some not mentioned.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

education.. winner hands down
the rest will fall inn line
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

With a significant dent into corruption both large and small there would be more effort given into earning your salary. At the moment working for the good of the people is secondary to getting the grubby hands on as much as they can grab. Paying for police to take action on crimes committed , paying teachers to teach your kids, paying to get services from the sangkat over and above the set fees are all issues that would dissolve with reduction in tea money (corruption)
The high end in province governance doing what they were paid for and not being there to build a monstrous house and be an okna with wives as expert investment counsellors would allow the forests and the waterways to be restored and protected.

The country would flourish and the poor get a reasonable chance to improve.

Pie in the sky ????????
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

i would improve sex education

monstra mihi bona!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:10 pm i would improve sex education
For the locals or the expats?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Almost all of the major problems here have their roots in corruption. Cambodia might be a developing country but it is not a poor country by any means. The two don't always correlate. There is wealth here, vast wealth in some cases, but the structure to distribute it in a socially responsible and fair manner doesn't exist, largely due to the endemic problems of corruption, which are now so deep-rooted in the fabric of the country, it seems an almost impossible task to tackle.

If it ever were dealt with however, the trickle-down effects would be enormous.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I wish they clamped down on the availability and use of drugs here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic