570 People Get Food Poisoning from NGO Bread in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 570 People Get Food Poisoning from NGO Bread in Siem Rea

Post by prahkeitouj »

potty wrote:who prepared that for them ?
NGO World Vision
http://www.businessnewsasia.com/2015032 ... ambodians/
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Schrodinger's Dog
Expatriate

Post by Schrodinger's Dog »

Think about funding a NGO that teaches NGOs how to cook.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

How is it possible for people raised on prahok to get sick from pate?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I had to take a food safety class once when I had joint in the States. I was discombobulated when I read the headline. I've never heard of anybody getting sick from bread, even moldy bread. The water content is too low for bacteria. Room temp mayo isn't as dangerous as we thought. The culprit in the Ban Mi that took me down last month as well as the kids is the pate (or small chance it's the lettuce).
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

StroppyChops wrote:How is it possible for people raised on prahok to get sick from pate?
It was not caused by pate, but the pickled cucumber.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Gaudente
Expatriate

Post by Gaudente »

NGO's greed is really disgusting : not only they pocket huge salaries and cuts on inflated expenses , but they even buy rotten food to further increse those abhorrent cuts. Really beyond any indecency , yet on this forum there's still who defends them :bad:
Gaudente
Expatriate

Post by Gaudente »

Their new slogan might be : "World Vision : poison a child " .... or - even better - 570 :plus1:
I wonder : who paid for hospital charges ? :roll:
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Samouth wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:How is it possible for people raised on prahok to get sick from pate?
Not enough vinegar &/or not pickled long enough. people get sick from pickles in the West almost never. Botulism is almost as common & that'll kill ya.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

wackyjacky wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Not enough vinegar &/or not pickled long enough. people get sick from pickles in the West almost never. Botulism is almost as common & that'll kill ya.
No, vegetable also can be poisonous if they contain too much pesticide.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

prahkeitouj wrote: No, vegetable also can be poisonous if they contain too much pesticide.
True. From the linked article:
Sarath added that based on preliminary conclusion, it was suspected that the vegetables, especially cucumbers, which were put in the bread, were contaminated with insecticide as a result of failure to properly clean
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic