The correlation between IQ and corruption

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: The correlation between IQ and corruption

Post by Bongmab69 »

People with a real high IQ (lets say 135 or more) usually dont look smart, they stay low-profile. The same with real rich people, you wont recognise them (maybe not the same in KOW). Aside of that, the high IQ-ers struggle with other things !!
When i remember good, Bill Gates only had his first fuck when he was 28 or something !!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:12 pm People with a real high IQ (lets say 135 or more) usually dont look smart, they stay low-profile. The same with real rich people, you wont recognise them (maybe not the same in KOW). Aside of that, the high IQ-ers struggle with other things !!
When i remember good, Bill Gates only had his first fuck when he was 28 or something !!
Why are you digging up old threads? Are you stuck in French traffic jam with too much coffee and croissants and a good phone connection?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

HAHA, nono, hard working in Belgium, not samesame as yun having some cocktails on a spanish bitch, euhmm, beach !! ??
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:10 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:12 pm People with a real high IQ (lets say 135 or more) usually dont look smart, they stay low-profile. The same with real rich people, you wont recognise them (maybe not the same in KOW). Aside of that, the high IQ-ers struggle with other things !!
Why are you digging up old threads? Are you stuck in French traffic jam with too much coffee and croissants and a good phone connection?
Old but interesting thread.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I think intelligent people think of the consequences, and not just being caught, but of a life of looking over their shoulder. A stress-free life is a good goal.

As has been previously mentioned, less intelligent (to the extent of certain syndromes) people can still be a success story (comparatively) by adhering to the basics; work hard, don't waste, be a good boy...

If Mammas saved all the money some send home, for the sender, they could have 100k before 30. I know of one that bought a house for 75k off the daughter's ill-gotten gains after a very short period. And there is no smarts there.

Not long ago a corrupt cop in Thailand was uncovered (due to him lacking intelligence), and he had millions worth of land, houses, sports cars etc.

So, it can pay, but it pays to have smarts, and no conscience.

It seems to be mainly a male thing (recipients). Good girls can be found in every corner of the world. Unfortunately, the world is round.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bongmab69 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:22 pm HAHA, nono, hard working in Belgium, not samesame as yun having some cocktails on a spanish bitch, euhmm, beach !! ??
Spanish holiday is over now, I'm seriously tempted to spend 3 months there next year, maybe April to June, rental properties are still low rents and plentiful supply and temperature is 20-30c.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Few people writing here actually address the original question at the beginning of this thread. It went off the rails with some predictably nonsensical jabber about "IQ vs. EQ", and also, some white-egocentric condescension with respect to the IQ of African herbal shamans, etc...

So anyway, to answer the original question, I would agree that low IQ would definitely contribute to social, political and economic corruption, and exactly of the type that has crippled poor nations for donkey's years. (The ruling mafia has small patience for anything but whatever it wants to do for its own good, with the possible exception of COVID vaccines, in Cambodia's case. Same problem around the world, wherever a powerful mob runs things.... Like in Thailand, Vietnam, China, Myanmar, the Philippines, Russia, the U.S.A...)

Also, I would tend to agree with one poster who noted that most of the test measures for IQ were created to accord with Western norms and perceptions; therefore, it is unlikely that Asians from poor countries -- who do not already possess a very sound Western-style educational foundation -- will excel at them... Which does not mean their actual IQ is low, but that they may require a different kind of test measurement...

With respect to notions of "emotional intelligence" (EQ): this is an over-rated concept developed by extroverted types, and has been used mainly to excuse the feeble intellectual abilities of large numbers of people during the current television age of declining math and language skills. So, EQ is nonsensical pseudo-science and cannot be compared to any measurement of real intelligence.

Someone else above said that an IQ of 135 is "real high"... But actually, it isn't. Although maybe not many people have it, 135 would be slightly above the average of 112 or 120... But a really high IQ would be like 170 or 180.

Anyway, IQ is not an effective gauge for pure intelligence, it is only a measure of abstract talents related to analytical and synthetic capabilities for solving problems. Some would say that only those with strong natural math/logic skills can score highly on IQ tests. Also, most IQ tests are TIMED, and nobody gets to ask the testers why being able to work out difficult problems FASTER than others makes you smarter than they are... So, IQ tests are not really a fair measure of intelligence because of assumptions that define the prerequisite requirements for demonstrating brilliance. Think of someone possessed of holistic synthetic creative talents, like a great painter or poet, a person who might not necessarily ace a typical IQ test, which was written by logical and analytical minds looking for like-minded friends to join their Professional System. Read: Academic, Senior Corporate or High Financial... These elite people are all doing the same kind of thing in the end...

...I do recall, back in grade six or seven, they first started giving us very complex IQ tests at school. I remember doing exceptionally well at the spatial-visualization questions...

But I think that in the end, even if you really do have a very high IQ, proven by test or not, it won't have necessarily anything at all to do with money-material or social success. Others would disagree, but maybe they fail to note those who become zillionaires almost always had either rich folks, a lucky streak, or some strong inside connection...

A high school teacher once told me, sadly, that he thought my IQ was, "probably around 140". I guess he figured that I wasn't smart enough... But I don't care about that. We're all toast, now anyways...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

orichá wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:02 pm Few people writing here actually address the original question at the beginning of this thread. It went off the rails with some predictably nonsensical jabber about "IQ vs. EQ", and also, some white-egocentric condescension with respect to the IQ of African herbal shamans, etc...

So anyway, to answer the original question, I would agree that low IQ would definitely contribute to social, political and economic corruption, and exactly of the type that has crippled poor nations for donkey's years. (The ruling mafia has small patience for anything but whatever it wants to do for its own good, with the possible exception of COVID vaccines, in Cambodia's case. Same problem around the world, wherever a powerful mob runs things.... Like in Thailand, Vietnam, China, Myanmar, the Philippines, Russia, the U.S.A...)

Also, I would tend to agree with one poster who noted that most of the test measures for IQ were created to accord with Western norms and perceptions; therefore, it is unlikely that Asians from poor countries -- who do not already possess a very sound Western-style educational foundation -- will excel at them... Which does not mean their actual IQ is low, but that they may require a different kind of test measurement...

With respect to notions of "emotional intelligence" (EQ): this is an over-rated concept developed by extroverted types, and has been used mainly to excuse the feeble intellectual abilities of large numbers of people during the current television age of declining math and language skills. So, EQ is nonsensical pseudo-science and cannot be compared to any measurement of real intelligence.

Someone else above said that an IQ of 135 is "real high"... But actually, it isn't. Although maybe not many people have it, 135 would be slightly above the average of 112 or 120... But a really high IQ would be like 170 or 180.

Anyway, IQ is not an effective gauge for pure intelligence, it is only a measure of abstract talents related to analytical and synthetic capabilities for solving problems. Some would say that only those with strong natural math/logic skills can score highly on IQ tests. Also, most IQ tests are TIMED, and nobody gets to ask the testers why being able to work out difficult problems FASTER than others makes you smarter than they are... So, IQ tests are not really a fair measure of intelligence because of assumptions that define the prerequisite requirements for demonstrating brilliance. Think of someone possessed of holistic synthetic creative talents, like a great painter or poet, a person who might not necessarily ace a typical IQ test, which was written by logical and analytical minds looking for like-minded friends to join their Professional System. Read: Academic, Senior Corporate or High Financial... These elite people are all doing the same kind of thing in the end...

...I do recall, back in grade six or seven, they first started giving us very complex IQ tests at school. I remember doing exceptionally well at the spatial-visualization questions...

But I think that in the end, even if you really do have a very high IQ, proven by test or not, it won't have necessarily anything at all to do with money-material or social success. Others would disagree, but maybe they fail to note those who become zillionaires almost always had either rich folks, a lucky streak, or some strong inside connection...

A high school teacher once told me, sadly, that he thought my IQ was, "probably around 140". I guess he figured that I wasn't smart enough... But I don't care about that. We're all toast, now anyways...
At least you stuck to the correlation between corruption and IQ. Unlike others you criticized.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic