The correlation between IQ and corruption

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: The correlation between IQ and corruption

Post by siliconlife »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:58 am You mean like Australia? Where I think we can agree that people have much better control of their emotions than 100 years ago.
But, it seems negative trends in psychosocial behavior, such as drug use and suicide, have increased substantially along with higher EQs
According to a report into "SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF DRUG USE" by the University of New South Wales in 2004 noted that:
suicide rates among 15-24 year olds have increased from 6 per 100,000 in 1921-25 to 16 per 100,000 in 1996-98
No, I don't mean like Australia, that country has a hell of a long way to go (in terms of both IQ and EQ). Not certain at all that people have better control over their emotions there than in the past, either.

But I don't get your point. Are you saying that higher EQ correlates to drug use and suicide? Or are you just saying that EQ is a useless measurement? Our emotions are not the only source of society's problems, and raising a country's emotional intelligence isn't going to stamp out all social/psychological issues overnight, it will just help people deal with them more constructively, and is a useful way of evaluating the way that we raise our children.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

siliconlife wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:28 am
IraHayes wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:58 am You mean like Australia? Where I think we can agree that people have much better control of their emotions than 100 years ago.
But, it seems negative trends in psychosocial behavior, such as drug use and suicide, have increased substantially along with higher EQs
According to a report into "SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF DRUG USE" by the University of New South Wales in 2004 noted that:
suicide rates among 15-24 year olds have increased from 6 per 100,000 in 1921-25 to 16 per 100,000 in 1996-98
No, I don't mean like Australia, that country has a hell of a long way to go (in terms of both IQ and EQ). Not certain at all that people have better control over their emotions there than in the past, either.

But I don't get your point. Are you saying that higher EQ correlates to drug use and suicide? Or are you just saying that EQ is a useless measurement? Our emotions are not the only source of society's problems, and raising a country's emotional intelligence isn't going to stamp out all social/psychological issues overnight, it will just help people deal with them more constructively, and is a useful way of evaluating the way that we raise our children.
I was working on the premise that Australians are more emotionally developed now (or when the report was done) than in the early 1900's. But, you are quite correct in that emotions are not the only source of society's problems. My problem stems from the fact I had actually done a small amount of reading into EQ but by people who have, generally, a rather negative view of it. Their arguments seemed plausible and I didn't read more on the subject given they thought the number of variables present made it unviable as a metric to measure "success at life" Not what we are discussing here I know but after coming across EQ while reading about IQ and corruption I happened to read a couple of follow up articles to better understand what EQ is.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

[/quote]

No, I don't mean like Australia, that country has a hell of a long way to go (in terms of both IQ and EQ).
[/quote]

Ok sillycocklick, I'll bite. Your ironically unintelligent statement is formed as a fact, not an opinion, so if you're going to defame a nation you should provide evidence, to avoid it being libelous, dull-witted ignorance "...and you removing all doubt". Whatchya got?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:56 am
Kuroneko wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:06 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:52 pm All this talk about IQ, and not a whisper about EQ, which is arguably more important
I totally agree EQ is far more important

EQ? Here's a whisper...

Worrying about people emotions is what is turning the west into a pathetic bunch of cry babies, complaining about being scared of everything, being offended by everything - often by proxy by the activists - demanding the right to feel 'safe' (impossible if you're a spineless coward) and the so called mental health crisis. :facepalm:

I listen to British radio and I honestly think so many of my fellow citizens are utterly pathetic and pandered to by the presenters.
As Kuroneko mentioned, EQ has nothing to do with being emotional. Most leaders have a high EQ; Churchill, Obama, Martin Luther King, Elon Musk, even Trump. Should be noted that socio/psychopaths, con artists, cult leaders have an above average to high EQ.

A high EQ is crucial for leading people, selling an idea, product, or yourself (in the employment sense).
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AzalKH wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:10 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:52 pm All this talk about IQ, and not a whisper about EQ, which is arguably more important

EQ? Here's a whisper...

Worrying about people emotions is what is turning the west into a pathetic bunch of cry babies, complaining about being scared of everything, being offended by everything - often by proxy by the activists - demanding the right to feel 'safe' (impossible if you're a spineless coward) and the so called mental health crisis. :facepalm:

I listen to British radio and I honestly think so many of my fellow citizens are utterly pathetic and pandered to by the presenters.
As Kuroneko mentioned, EQ has nothing to do with being emotional. Most leaders have a high EQ; Churchill, Obama, Martin Luther King, Elon Musk, even Trump. Should be noted that socio/psychopaths, con artists, cult leaders have an above average to high EQ.

A high EQ is crucial for leading people, selling an idea, product, or yourself (in the employment sense).
Churchill, Obama, Martin Luther King, Elon Musk, even Trump. Should be noted that socio/psychopaths, con artists, cult leaders

Is this a quiz? Which one is which? Odd one out?
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:14 pm
AzalKH wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:10 pm

EQ? Here's a whisper...

Churchill, Obama, Martin Luther King, Elon Musk, even Trump. Should be noted that socio/psychopaths, con artists, cult leaders

Is this a quiz? Which one is which? Odd one out?
I could have written that better.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:42 pm Ok sillycocklick, I'll bite. Your ironically unintelligent statement is formed as a fact, not an opinion, so if you're going to defame a nation you should provide evidence, to avoid it being libelous, dull-witted ignorance "...and you removing all doubt". Whatchya got?
For the likes of you, I've got very little indeed, in fact I would say my time for you will be strictly limited. Suffice to say that that's my criticism of the country as a citizen of it, and if you don't like it you can tell someone who cares what you think. And your time's up! Bye, pal. :hattip:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Bye
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

When I was doing my MBA (many years ago now) I co-authored a meta-analysis paper of the outcomes of people faking Personality Profiling as a way to get jobs. The old NEO-PI testing, not sure if companies still use it, havent been in the job market for a while. But anyhoo, it turns out the people who worked out how to 'fake good' in a personality profile actually stood a pretty good chance of being successful in their careers, mainly because they could read situations clearly and provide workable solutions to difficulties regardless of their own abilities or feelings. They knew what the 'right answer' should be.
Also EQ came into it, knowing what the right response should be even if it involved telling less than the truth. Important skills in any job, I'd say. So not necessarily a high IQ needed, just a good analytic brain and a feel for what others want to hear. Pretty much sums up most of the successful people I have ever met.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

lagrange wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:13 pm
When I was doing my MBA (many years ago now) I co-authored a meta-analysis paper of the outcomes of people faking Personality Profiling as a way to get jobs. The old NEO-PI testing, not sure if companies still use it, havent been in the job market for a while. But anyhoo, it turns out the people who worked out how to 'fake good' in a personality profile actually stood a pretty good chance of being successful in their careers, mainly because they could read situations clearly and provide workable solutions to difficulties regardless of their own abilities or feelings. They knew what the 'right answer' should be.
Also EQ came into it, knowing what the right response should be even if it involved telling less than the truth. Important skills in any job, I'd say. So not necessarily a high IQ needed, just a good analytic brain and a feel for what others want to hear. Pretty much sums up most of the successful people I have ever met.
It turns out the people who worked out how to kiss the bosses asses actually stood a pretty good chance of being successful in their careers, mainly because bosses love having their asses kissed. They knew what the 'right ass kissing' should be.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic