The correlation between IQ and corruption

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: The correlation between IQ and corruption

Post by Phnom Poon »

the 'longer time horizon' thing is i think the same as the 'marshmallow test'
but i think that has been partially debunked now, and trust is a deciding factor, not just foresight/willpower, etc

i'm often astounded at how little trust cambodians actually have for each other
even though they can be friendly and very generous at the same time
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

monstra mihi bona!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:52 pm All this talk about IQ, and not a whisper about EQ, which is arguably more important
I totally agree EQ is far more important
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:03 pm the 'longer time horizon' thing is i think the same as the 'marshmallow test'
but i think that has been partially debunked now, and trust is a deciding factor, not just foresight/willpower, etc
You are correct. The initial study, developed back in the 60's, was re-examined and the findings published in the 90's.
Ultimately, the new study finds limited support for the idea that being able to delay gratification leads to better outcomes. Instead, it suggests that the capacity to hold out for a second marshmallow is shaped in large part by a child’s social and economic background—and, in turn, that that background, not the ability to delay gratification, is what’s behind kids’ long-term success.

This is taken from an article in The Atlantic from 2018
"Why Rich Kids Are So Good at the Marshmallow Test"
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/arch ... st/561779/

The last part of the article is relevant given peoples comments with regards how lower income Cambodians are more focused on the short term than the long term.
The Harvard economist Sendhil Mullainathan and the Princeton behavioral scientist Eldar Shafir wrote a book in 2013, Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much, that detailed how poverty can lead people to opt for short-term rather than long-term rewards; the state of not having enough can change the way people think about what’s available now. In other words, a second marshmallow seems irrelevant when a child has reason to believe that the first one might vanish.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:06 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:52 pm All this talk about IQ, and not a whisper about EQ, which is arguably more important

EQ? Here's a whisper...

Worrying about people emotions is what is turning the west into a pathetic bunch of cry babies, complaining about being scared of everything, being offended by everything - often by proxy by the activists - demanding the right to feel 'safe' (impossible if you're a spineless coward) and the so called mental health crisis. :facepalm:

I listen to British radio and I honestly think so many of my fellow citizens are utterly pathetic and pandered to by the presenters.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Yep . More time wasted by media listening to minorities than reporting the real world. China doesnt give a fuck about their PM not attending a rally !!!! Our media shoot him because he stays away.

siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:56 am
EQ? Here's a whisper...

Worrying about people emotions is what is turning the west into a pathetic bunch of cry babies, complaining about being scared of everything, being offended by everything - often by proxy by the activists - demanding the right to feel 'safe' (impossible if you're a spineless coward) and the so called mental health crisis. :facepalm:
Let's put EQ into perspective in the case of Cambodia. If a lot of the blokes here had higher EQs (ie. ability to manage their emotions), they'd be less prone to substance abuse, and less likely to commit revenge killings, burning of houses, random beheadings of babies etc etc. Emotional education is vital, and very much worth worrying about, pulling your hair out over sometimes tbh. The old "man up" attitude is reactionary.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

siliconlife wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:23 am
EQ? Here's a whisper...

Let's put EQ into perspective in the case of Cambodia. If a lot of the blokes here had higher EQs (ie. ability to manage their emotions), they'd be less prone to substance abuse, and less likely to commit revenge killings, burning of houses, random beheadings of babies etc etc. Emotional education is vital, and very much worth worrying about, pulling your hair out over sometimes tbh. The old "man up" attitude is reactionary.
You mean like Australia? Where I think we can agree that people have much better control of their emotions than 100 years ago.
But, it seems negative trends in psychosocial behavior, such as drug use and suicide, have increased substantially along with higher EQs
According to a report into "SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF DRUG USE" by the University of New South Wales in 2004 noted that:
suicide rates among 15-24 year olds have increased from 6 per 100,000 in 1921-25 to 16 per 100,000 in 1996-98
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:58 am
EQ? Here's a whisper...

You mean like Australia? Where I think we can agree that people have much better control of their emotions than 100 years ago.
But, it seems negative trends in psychosocial behavior, such as drug use and suicide, have increased substantially along with higher EQs
According to a report into "SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF DRUG USE" by the University of New South Wales in 2004 noted that:
suicide rates among 15-24 year olds have increased from 6 per 100,000 in 1921-25 to 16 per 100,000 in 1996-98
Those extra 10 per 100,000 is negligible and anyway, wars and disease got plenty more of them back then.

These days their biggest fear is Facebook defriending or being at the wrong end of a Twitter storm.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:09 am
IraHayes wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:58 am
EQ? Here's a whisper...

Those extra 10 per 100,000 is negligible and anyway, wars and disease got plenty more of them back then.

These days their biggest fear is Facebook defriending or being at the wrong end of a Twitter storm.
This video does a good job of explaining why young people are so afraid of being defriended or being at the centre of a twitter storm.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:06 pm

EQ? Here's a whisper...

I listen to British radio and I honestly think so many of my fellow citizens are utterly pathetic and pandered to by the presenters.
But that comment has little to do with emotional intelligence, you are focused on worrying about emotions rather than utilising them for the best outcomes :

Emotional Intelligence in Leadership
Emotional intelligence or EI is the ability to understand and manage your own emotions, and those of the people around you. People with a high degree of emotional intelligence know what they're feeling, what their emotions mean, and how these emotions can affect other people.

For leaders, having emotional intelligence is essential for success. After all, who is more likely to succeed – a leader who shouts at his team when he's under stress, or a leader who stays in control, and calmly assesses the situation?

According to Daniel Goleman , an American psychologist who helped to popularize emotional intelligence, there are five key elements to it:

Self-awareness.
Self-regulation.
Motivation.
Empathy.
Social skills.

The more that you, as a leader, manage each of these areas, the higher your emotional intelligence. https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_45.htm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic