I was refused treatment at a clinic in Phnom Penh because I'm a foreigner

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
aconsultantabroad
Tourist

I was refused treatment at a clinic in Phnom Penh because I'm a foreigner

Post by aconsultantabroad »

I was refused treatment today at a physiotherapy clinic near my residence in Psar Derm Tkov District of Phnom Penh today after having gone there regularly for two months because I am a foreigner and they "need to protect themselves" from Covid. How racist and absurd. No one of my race has covid in Cambodia but Khmer do so I guess we should boycott their businesses if we share their logic right? This clinic uses a picture of a white woman in a doctor's coat as their logo but turn away actual foreigners after they already took their money for months and made no healthier in the whole time.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: I was refused treatment at a clinic in Phnom Penh because I'm a foreigner

Post by Doc67 »

You should name them
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Agree, Name and shame and avoid henceforth.

OML
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

aconsultantabroad wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:34 am No one of my race has covid in Cambodia
What race would that be then?
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

Agree it's right to names them..
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

aconsultantabroad wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:34 am I was refused treatment today at a physiotherapy clinic near my residence in Psar Derm Tkov District of Phnom Penh today after having gone there regularly for two months because I am a foreigner and they "need to protect themselves" from Covid. How racist and absurd. No one of my race has covid in Cambodia but Khmer do so I guess we should boycott their businesses if we share their logic right? This clinic uses a picture of a white woman in a doctor's coat as their logo but turn away actual foreigners after they already took their money for months and made no healthier in the whole time.
Race or Nationality?
You go for two months but no healthier.
Logic?
Picture of a white woman? Is that not ok?
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Arget wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:53 am Picture of a white woman? Is that not ok?
I don't mean to speak for them but I think the suggestion is that association with foreigners is very hypocritical and wrong when it is just to promote a false image instead of helping foreigners too, if that was indeed the true situation.
:thumb:
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

There seems to be a lot of strange threads from newbies lately
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

atst wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:13 pm There seems to be a lot of strange threads from newbies lately
I imagine the stress of the situation and lots of free time with lockdowns and such might be a reason.
:thumb:
aconsultantabroad
Tourist

Post by aconsultantabroad »

Hello everyone, first time to use any forum and the admin simply set up the account for me and copied in my off the cuff comment. Thanks to them for setting up this thread. Let me explain in detail. I am a caucasian american expat who has resided in Cambodia going eight years. I have been to numerous medical service providers over the years and never encountered anything so stupid or insulting in all my many years abroad and I have a very thick skin for this type of thing.
I have a herniated disc and bone spur and as part of my attempt to get mobile again in addition to using the services at ICC which I highly recommend, I decide to check in to a place on street 488 or 486 depending on which map you look at called Alpha Clinic. I went in first around January 10th and the pt that assisted me, Veth Venn, really did a good job in the first two weeks there, I was getting mobile again and even allowed them to take my picture to put on their facebook and recommended it to friends. So we go away five to siem reap and then i came back and finally got restarted after about ten days had past. The pt there however start to screw around somehow with my treatment actually injuring another muscle and manipulating my spinal column to exacerbate. Honestly i started to feel the guy was pissed off that he wasnt harvesting a payment from me everyday like prior. So then also i would try to set up an appointment and he would tell me he is not working for some days. So at this point i was really in agony and asked a Khmer colleague to ring the clinic for me and see if i could get help from someone else. So the receptionist who only on Monday was kissing my son when he was there now proceeds to tell my colleague that "oh sorry we know him (me) but we wont treat him because we must protect ourselves from covid so we no longer will treat any foreigners" and when pressed she said "oh all the pt that can speak English" (acually none of them can do more than rudimentary communication in English - i was even teaching them phrases to use like "face down on the table" & "raise your right leg" and so on) "they all left the clinic."
This is after they just got me to buy a lumber belt and patted me on the ass a few days prior. If i had covid they all would certainly already be infected because i was the only person following protocols. My family is living in self-isolation and actually i am risking infection going there. You know if I were a new patient and they said sorry we are not accepting patients ok i get it. If i were a Chinese given that many of the cases are Chinese expats i could forgive them too. But what the hell, I am an existing patient who they promised to rehabilate within a couple months of treatment and going there on a daily basis and investing accordingly. It is only i who risk my health by going there. They can give great pain treatment when they want to but now i understand that i was basically scammed and them dumped from their service very insultingly. In any case it is absolute the worst service I got anywhere in Cambodia in almost eight years and the most distainful treatment i have gotten socially. It really makes me question the sincerity of some claiming friendship. Veth had even invited me to visit his family home in Kampong Speu and then he lied about his working hours at his clinic (he is the senior pt there) and deliberately gave me crap treatment and got me to spend on something of marginal benefit because i was trusting in his professionalism abd then three days later i am basically to fuck off even though i am in excrutiating pain. Hell my son's toy is still on their balcony and i cant even retrieve it. Worst interaction i have had in this country in eight years and i have had things happen like a landlord letting himself into our flat and stealing our wedding rings even. Stupid, deliberately shallow and insulting - and of course complete unprofessional and a breach of their code of medical care service provider that they swear to uphold when getting liscenced - and my khmer friends were also really shocked. The irony is that all their promotional material features either photos of white people that were past clients or from google stock photos, those are good for promotion but they can't be bothered to treat any of us.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic