Covid-19

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Covid-19

Post by Anchor Moy »

Globally, a lot of doctors and health workers have died. That's always a loss for the population of whatever country. Some of the best and brightest have died because they were looking after the coronavirus patients.
From what I understand, it has to do with the length of exposure time to patients who are coughing, wheezing and projecting the virus.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

The COVID-19 pandemic has warped humanity’s mindset, turning fear into an intellectual value.
Panic is now the smart choice, and those who reject it are considered dangerous and intellectually inferior.
For the first time in human history fear is considered a sign intellectual superiority, while the choice to resist panic is seen as stubborn foolishness.
Haden
Expatriate
Chile

Post by Haden »

nerdlinger wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:18 pm
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:56 pmNOPE.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ndandwales
1,549 deaths in England and Wales of people aged below 65 with no other health conditions in 2020 (i.e. not including the bulk of the second wave). But perhaps you have access to information the rest of us don't.
No, the only information I have is in the public domain.
As I'm in the UK my self, I can see said writing this 125,343 people have died within 28 days of a positive covid -19 test. So how many of those have died from covid -19?
So the 1,549 you quoted were 'people dying within 28 days of a positive covid test'

Does anybody know anybody who have died soley from covid-19?
Haden
Expatriate
Chile

Post by Haden »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:39 pm The COVID-19 pandemic has warped humanity’s mindset, turning fear into an intellectual value.
Panic is now the smart choice, and those who reject it are considered dangerous and intellectually inferior.
For the first time in human history fear is considered a sign intellectual superiority, while the choice to resist panic is seen as stubborn foolishness.
Very true.
The cambodian boarders are closed crashing the economy and the same can be said for all other countries.
Haden
Expatriate
Chile

Post by Haden »

nerdlinger wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:56 pm Yes, loads.

Not only that but we still don't know the fullest extent of the life-changing disabilities and "long covid" that can happen to otherwise healthy people in their 30s and 40s. Many stories abound of people who a year later still suffer fatigue, memory problems, breathing difficulty, and a whole raft of other long-term complications.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ong-covid/

Covid is also associated with increased risk of stroke even in younger people; we're likely to keep seeing people die of the complications of coronavirus years after they've ostensibly recovered from it.

https://www.stroke.org.uk/news/does-cor ... 20expected.
I would take some fatigue and memory loss if it means having a job to feed my children.

And we also don't know the long affects of the vaccine either.
I've heard stories of people dying from it, but I've not seen it with my own eyes so I can't verify it.
Haden
Expatriate
Chile

Post by Haden »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:45 pm
Haden wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:19 pm Has a 'healthy' person ever died from covid-19?
By healthy I mean, under say 70 years old, not really fat and with no chronic underlying health issues.?
I’m curious about your question, and it’s motive. The reason being that I think there are (at least) two variations or considerations on this

-under say 70 years old, not really fat and with no chronic or unknownunderlying health issues.
-under say 70 years old, not really fat and with no known chronic underlying health issues.
Yes, sorry it was quite a broad/vague question.
The motive is harmless, I really want to know if a person has died from covid-19 who were not going to die that day or very soon after if they did not have covid 19
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Haden wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:10 pm
Haden wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:19 pm Has a 'healthy' person ever died from covid-19?
By healthy I mean, under say 70 years old, not really fat and with no chronic underlying health issues.?
I’m curious about your question, and it’s motive. The reason being that I think there are (at least) two variations or considerations on this

-under say 70 years old, not really fat and with no chronic or unknownunderlying health issues.
-under say 70 years old, not really fat and with no known chronic underlying health issues.
The motive is harmless, I really want to know if a person has died from covid-19 who were not going to die that day or very soon after if they did not have covid 19
You're from the UK so look at the number of deaths in the past year and see how many more it has been than the expected yearly deaths. Why do you think the number of deaths has been so much higher than expected?

It sounds like you have been incredibly lucky and have not known anyone close to you getting very sick or dying from covid. But, you also come across as having an agenda with your comments. Why don't you trust the doctors and nurses when they talk about the huge impact the virus is having on the health system? Why don't you trust the scientists who have devoted their life's work to understanding viruses? Are you just venting frustration at you current situation and of being out of work? Or are you looking for some unknown person online to reaffirm you warped beliefs that this is all exaggerated or maybe even made up?
Haden
Expatriate
Chile

Post by Haden »

hburns wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:30 pm
Haden wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:10 pm

You're from the UK so look at the number of deaths in the past year and see how many more it has been than the expected yearly deaths. Why do you think the number of deaths has been so much higher than expected?

It sounds like you have been incredibly lucky and have not known anyone close to you getting very sick or dying from covid. But, you also come across as having an agenda with your comments. Why don't you trust the doctors and nurses when they talk about the huge impact the virus is having on the health system? Why don't you trust the scientists who have devoted their life's work to understanding viruses? Are you just venting frustration at you current situation and of being out of work? Or are you looking for some unknown person online to reaffirm you warped beliefs that this is all exaggerated or maybe even made up?
I don't believe the deaths are much higher.
I don't trust the doctors and nurses (if they have said it's having a huge impact on the health service)
Because from what i have seen it isn't having a huge impact, I've never seen hospitals so quiet.
We made a nightingale hospital which could accommodate 100's and never needed it.

"Or are you looking for some unknown person online to reaffirm you warped beliefs that this is all exaggerated or maybe even made up?"
Yes, maybe
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I have a friend, very talented prospecting young saxophonist just over his 30"s. He was healthy, slim, no underlying health conditions. He spent a month in hospital. Now 4 moths later he still cant blow his horn. Nobody can answer if he will ever do. He studied in NYC, many big names in jazz were his mentors. And saxophone was his life, he was practicing for hours every day. Now his dream has gone?
Just a flu? Stories that covid harm only old and obese is not only truth.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:01 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:18 pm
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:56 pmNOPE.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ndandwales
1,549 deaths in England and Wales of people aged below 65 with no other health conditions in 2020 (i.e. not including the bulk of the second wave). But perhaps you have access to information the rest of us don't.
oh shit maybe Im wrong! I'm 34 and fit as a fiddle should i be scared of covid?
I’d say your main fear should be causing the deaths of others by spreading it unnecessarily through carelessness or callousness. The chances of this happening are very high in communities with R0>1.

Second to this on your list of worries would be the chance of long term damage to lungs, brain or cardiovascular system. Figures on this are still unknown but most studies I’ve seen quoted estimate as much as 10% or higher.

The chances of your death are indeed slim enough not to lose sleep over, but are certainly non-zero.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic