Dealing with overstay

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Dealing with overstay

Post by Ozinasia »

the embassy here made it very clear there can be no assistance IF overstay . I am currently writing a letter to her local congressman explaining that she was duped into coming here with a fake engagement ring naming the SOB that left her stranded and seeing if they can do anything I have however little faith in the PI Government to do anything at all
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Ozinasia wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:56 pm the embassy here made it very clear there can be no assistance IF overstay . I am currently writing a letter to her local congressman explaining that she was duped into coming here with a fake engagement ring naming the SOB that left her stranded and seeing if they can do anything I have however little faith in the PI Government to do anything at all
why has it taken 6 months to sort out?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ozinasia wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:56 pm the embassy here made it very clear there can be no assistance IF overstay . I am currently writing a letter to her local congressman explaining that she was duped into coming here with a fake engagement ring naming the SOB that left her stranded and seeing if they can do anything I have however little faith in the PI Government to do anything at all
any proof of her allegations?
if so take it to the media
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Photo of the brute and bogus ring would be nice (in happier times)...Never trust a man...Or a woman...Cambodia for an early honeymoon...Just doesn't seem right.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Can you just pay her overstay and send her home?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ozinasia wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:54 pm I am amazed there isn't an agency where folks in these extenuating circumstances cannot go for guidance without fear of jail, at least to have the daily count stopped until there is a way to go home somehow, not everyone overstay is criminal, well yes in the eyes of the law but at that time I could have gotten her a ticket perhaps but with no way to return home what is a person in her situation supposed to do. she had no ill intent to overstay or even be here illegally. This Covid situation has changed many peoples circumstances the Dept of immigration should implement a waver of some sort until flights start again even for other Asian nations such as PI.
I'm not trying to be mean about someone who is obviously tricky situation. However I don't believe a private agency can really do anything. You are basically dealing with an infraction of Department of Immigration rules. These were a lot more flexible a few years back, but have become increasingly tight. There were agents who could go through all the paperwork for you and expedite things. They were charging double the official price though. That was pre-work permit and COVID. Now with the current situation officials who could previously help get problems like this fixed are totally powerless because the land borders are closed and there is no VOA. The officials would be terrified of what could happen to them if they are found out illegally processing visas and anyone using their services is likely to end up with an invalid extension. I'd be very careful about using these independent go-betweens, you could easily get fucked over and then accused of flaunting pandemic laws on top of that. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Patcan wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:38 pm Photo of the brute and bogus ring would be nice (in happier times)...Never trust a man...Or a woman...Cambodia for an early honeymoon...Just doesn't seem right.
Got plenty of those photos and the dodgy ring but don't want to involve media
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

nemo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:11 pm Can you just pay her overstay and send her home?
it will be around or $2,000 or more plus keeping her in accommodation till there are flights then the airfare , sent $200 to the kid for food, looking easy $3,000 I am a decent bloke but not rich far from it. At this point I am thinking have to keep her low key housed and fed until normality and decent cost flights then go to immigration with a ticket and say $1,000 along with an influential Khmer like a lawyer and say take it or leave it . I cannot see any other way out just now for me to pay up all would mean selling my car not ready to do that as lovely a person as she is.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

I'm not trying to be mean about someone who is obviously tricky situation. However I don't believe a private agency can really do anything. You are basically dealing with an infraction of Department of Immigration rules. These were a lot more flexible a few years back, but have become increasingly tight. There were agents who could go through all the paperwork for you and expedite things. They were charging double the official price though. That was pre-work permit and COVID. Now with the current situation officials who could previously help get problems like this fixed are totally powerless because the land borders are closed and there is no VOA. The officials would be terrified of what could happen to them if they are found out illegally processing visas and anyone using their services is likely to end up with an invalid extension. I'd be very careful about using these independent go-betweens, you could easily get fucked over and then accused of flaunting pandemic laws on top of that. 8)

noted yeah thought about that also ... there appears to be no easy way out of this perhaps a kings pardon :bow:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ozinasia wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:56 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:11 pm Can you just pay her overstay and send her home?
it will be around or $2,000 or more plus keeping her in accommodation till there are flights then the airfare , sent $200 to the kid for food, looking easy $3,000 I am a decent bloke but not rich far from it. At this point I am thinking have to keep her low key housed and fed until normality and decent cost flights then go to immigration with a ticket and say $1,000 along with an influential Khmer like a lawyer and say take it or leave it . I cannot see any other way out just now for me to pay up all would mean selling my car not ready to do that as lovely a person as she is.
Yeah, no need to put yourself out, it sounds like you have been very kind already. It's a tricky situation, I hope you can figure out a way to sort it out. All the best.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic