12 March Night time announcement

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

12 March Night time announcement

Post by kritsana77 »

Hello,

10:30 pm and just heard an announcement by TTP market. I can imagne what they said but would like to know offically. Also, Lucky today had me do the phone tracing app today. A lady behind me did not have her phone and had to sign to get in. Anybody reading this, could you please wear a mask? Thank you.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Re: 12 March Night time announcement

Post by theKid »

kritsana77 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:12 pm Hello,

10:30 pm and just heard an announcement by TTP market. I can imagne what they said but would like to know offically. Also, Lucky today had me do the phone tracing app today. A lady behind me did not have her phone and had to sign to get in. Anybody reading this, could you please wear a mask? Thank you.
Also: A flock of Hornbills showed up at Riverside earlier today and I stumped my toe. Later I saw a tuk tuk driver having a smoke.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

kritsana77 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:12 pm Hello,

10:30 pm and just heard an announcement by TTP market. I can imagne what they said but would like to know offically.
I heard it too. I'm not sure because it was far away but it either said "Baby duck egg, 1000 riel" or "Stay in your homes. Do not attempt to move. The city is now under martial law." 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

there was something being announced tonight too, i think they said it was on the corner of 19 daum penh
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Maybe it said
"When i grow up i am going to be just like those speakers in the Wat at funeral time - destroying themselves, making every body in the neighbourhood deaf and at the same time being totally unintelligible because the subwoofers have blown the voice coils. How am i doin', can you not understand me yet?"
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

Sorry for the late reply. I thought it could have been an announcement that some ignorant expats(mostly males of the same age group of myself) who were not wearing a mask had contracted Covid -19 and infected the entire TTP Market. Which is a two minute walk from my house. I should have used my critical thinking skills that some of those ignorant men/boys would make comments about martial law and the clarity of the sound system. My bad.
Just for the record, I noticed at least ten expats in the 40-70 year age range not wearing mask in the area just in the few days prior to posting this.
Remember vote Trump/Putin in 2024. Vlad is counting on you.
Cricket99
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Cricket99 »

kritsana77 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:09 pm I should have used my critical thinking skills that some of those ignorant men/boys would make comments about martial law and the clarity of the sound system.
While I agree people should be wearing masks, why the need to single out expat men/boys? I saw plenty of women/girl expats not wearing masks ten days ago too (even some yesterday), which I think was before mandatory facemasks were introduced. Also, there are also tons of Cambodians in and around the market that still aren't wearing masks, but you assume it must be a male expat that kicks it all off? Calm down Karen.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

The efficacy of masks is extremely debatable and let's be honest, could only ever possible be effective if adhered to in terms of either disposing of your disposable mask every 20 minutes or so, and then washing your hands. Alternatively, washing your multiple use mask after every single use and then washing your hands thoroughly. What tends to happen and I would guess to an even greater extent in less well off countries like Cambodia is that single use disposable masks are worn day in, day out with the wearer touching it throughout the day to talk to customers, friends and colleagues or when they want a breath of fresh air and not gelling or washing hands in between. Under those circumstances in a mostly Al fresco society like Cambodia, masks may actually be more than ineffective.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Cambo Dear wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:14 pm The efficacy of masks is extremely debatable and let's be honest, could only ever possible be effective if adhered to in terms of either disposing of your disposable mask every 20 minutes or so, and then washing your hands. Alternatively, washing your multiple use mask after every single use and then washing your hands thoroughly. What tends to happen and I would guess to an even greater extent in less well off countries like Cambodia is that single use disposable masks are worn day in, day out with the wearer touching it throughout the day to talk to customers, friends and colleagues or when they want a breath of fresh air and not gelling or washing hands in between. Under those circumstances in a mostly Al fresco society like Cambodia, masks may actually be more than ineffective.
Not really debatable anymore, and this kind of garbage thinking exacerbates the problem. It's in the same league as Q geniuses, anti-vaxers and flat earthers.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Not really. I am not sure if you read what I wrote but it makes perfect sense - masks only work if used properly. That means never reusing them and washing your hands after touching them. Otherwise, they will add to rather than detract from the spread. It isn't unscientific and it isn't conspiratorial thinking. If you believe it is, perhaps you should crack open your 8th grade science journals and have a reread.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic