Scientists discover how to cook rice with less calories

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Scientists discover how to cook rice with less calories

Post by Anchor Moy »

This article is about a way to cook rice which gives it less calories. While this could be a good find for developed countries, I don't agree with their theory that obesity in developing countries is caused by eating too much rice.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 37508.html

Anyway, how to... Seems simple, just add oil to the cooking water - yes, strange, but thats what they say:
"What we did is cook the rice as you normally do, but when the water is boiling, before adding the raw rice, we added coconut oil—about 3 percent of the weight of the rice you're going to cook," said Sudhair James, who presented his preliminary research at National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS) on Monday. "After it was ready, we let it cool in the refrigerator for about 12 hours. That's it."
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Scientists discover how to cook rice with less calories

Post by Kuroneko »

Anchor Moy wrote:This article is about a way to cook rice which gives it less calories. While this could be a good find for developed countries, I don't agree with their theory that obesity in developing countries is caused by eating too much rice.
Agreed and here's some proof:

The association between dietary intake of white rice and central obesity in obese adults

Obesity has become one of the most important and the fastest growing health and nutritional problem, not only in developed but also in developing countries. White rice consumption causes an increase in postprandial blood glucose and could be a probable reason for obesity. This study was conducted to investigate the association between intake of white rice and central obesity in an Iranian population.

Result
We failed to find any significant association between frequency of white rice consumption and body mass index or waist circumference, neither in crude model nor in adjusted models.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3653247/

Lets focus on rice as the culprit, as it couldn't be the fault of processed foods, fizzy drinks and HFCS could it :lol:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Scientists discover how to cook rice with less calories

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kuroneko, thanx for the link. Yes, surprising findings. :fool:

Ho hum. Asians, who have been eating rice as their staple food for centuries without any noticeable obesity, suddenly start getting fat, so they need to change the way they cook their rice.
As you say, all this has nothing to do with the recent introduction of high calorie junkfood in these countries.

Whatever. I like pilaf rice and now I can scoff it because it's low-cal. LOL.

(So if I get a paunch it will be due to rice and not Anchor.) :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic