Escape from Sokha Hotel: An Expose

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Escape from Sokha Hotel: An Expose

Post by timmydownawell »

Here's a pic my brother sent me of a quarantine meal in NZ. I believe the meals are included in the US$2200 quarantine cost, but the hotels are fancier than here. And yes it looks almost identical to a Harry's fish & chip meal, but still way better than the dross being served up here.

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The article makes quite clear that the women in question left early on, clearly having never intended to actually do quarantine. It can only have worked with the collusion and assistance of a fair few others.
-whoever allocates the hotels, for one.

If there’s one, you can be sure there’s more. In this case 6-8. Quarantine measures clearly don’t apply to everyone, but a facade to maintain appearances is not a bad idea.

The security guards are the obvious fallguys, and a very easy, cheap target.

Prior to the mandatory 14days (plus occasional 1 ½ extra), in the good old days when you might arrive and quarantine for a couple of nights with test only, I think it was- the Sokha Hotel was fully booked, but the room pricing at the time was a few hundred dollars per night.

But some of the aftermath of this should be no great surprise. That’s why there’s a quarantine. The rapid spread is fairly well documented.
The aftermath of government glad handing with those pesky Hungarians,
Or the other event in November?
I wonder if they were too successful in containing those events? Too busy patting each other on the back for a job well done, to see the near misses.

They’re all dry runs to demonstrate how ineptitude, arrogance and lack of integrity are going to undermine anything if it’s already not taken seriously enough.

Yes, two weeks quarantine is a miserable affair. But it is only two weeks. I wonder, how much shagging do those twat’s twats get that two weeks is that big a hit to the bank balance to risk all this? The one caught on camera doesn’t appear to walk with her legs permanently akimbo.

I’ll not be surprised (but fucking livid, all the same) if this ends with cancellations of all non-essential visas, and some reset of the processes. Of course, not everyone would be so inconvenienced by such trivia.

I was going to have a Chinese takeaway tonight. I’ll cancel in protest!
Last edited by Freightdog on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cricket99
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Cricket99 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:39 pm
Stiliko wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:54 am And here I thought “investigative journalism” was an extinct species in the KOW.
Well, FMWAFeatherDuster.
First time i have bothered to pick up a Cambodian newspaper for a year.
Charming use of language too - i'm guessing it is from a Khmer who studied Eng Lit in the west - but hasn't quite got it down as a native Enlish speaker would.

Very bold - both the expose itself and the picturesque use of language.
I'm guessing the bulk of the article was written by Kong Arey, they have written several similar articles before. Always entertaining language.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50817283/u ... g-wedding/
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50822142/e ... dangerous/
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... nked-covid

I haven’t read it beyond a few lines, yet. But it appears one patient has succumbed.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

Cricket99 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:04 pm
Stiliko wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:54 am And here I thought “investigative journalism” was an extinct species in the KOW.
Well, FMWAFeatherDuster.
Charming use of language too - i'm guessing it is from a Khmer who studied Eng Lit in the west - but hasn't quite got it down as a native Enlish speaker would.

I'm guessing the bulk of the article was written by Kong Arey, they have written several similar articles before. Always entertaining language.

Who is Kong Arey?

I'd say laced with a bit of sarcasm, whether intentional or not.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

rubberbaron wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:47 pm
Cricket99 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:04 pm
Well, FMWAFeatherDuster.

Who is Kong Arey?

I'd say laced with a bit of sarcasm, whether intentional or not.
Kong Arey has been on this issue for some time already and also wrote this rather biting editorial piece about 2 weeks ago.
Quite courageous, I must say.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50818866/a ... kong-arey/
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

theKid wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:03 pm
Kong Arey has been on this issue for some time already and also wrote this rather biting editorial piece about 2 weeks ago.
Quite courageous, I must say.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50818866/a ... kong-arey/
:bigeyes:
From the link to KT.
Now with General HM in charge of managing security and public order at quarantine centres, one sincerely hopes that the precarious security by corrupt and lazy or overworked hotel in house security will be revamped and replaced with better and tighter security.

This may be the first of many steps to come to protect the country from the menace of escapees from quarantine centres.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I met a guy yesterday who just finished his 14 day quarantine in PP.

He said the food was fantastic, contrary to some reports I have seen posted here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Where in PP?
Not all of the hotels were reported as terrible, and not all of them unreasonable. Which demonstrates how little oversight there is; it’s all down to the integrity of the hotel management, whether they abide by the rules set by the MOH, but still aim to make it as painless an ordeal as possible.
Mav Ryan
Tourist
Aruba

Post by Mav Ryan »

:voilent1:
Stiliko wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:54 am I’m flabbergasted... :Bravo:

...pleasantly so. And here I thought “investigative journalism” was an extinct species in the KOW.

Now let’s wait & see if and when the fallout begins.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic