Escape from Sokha Hotel: An Expose

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Escape from Sokha Hotel: An Expose

Post by Stiliko »

I’m flabbergasted... :Bravo:

...pleasantly so. And here I thought “investigative journalism” was an extinct species in the KOW.

Now let’s wait & see if and when the fallout begins.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:12 am It's turning into a real money spinner for many of the big hotels.
Yes, and the Grand Duke is apparently owned by the boss's nephew. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Stiliko wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:54 am And here I thought “investigative journalism” was an extinct species in the KOW.
Well, FMWAFeatherDuster.
First time i have bothered to pick up a Cambodian newspaper for a year.
Charming use of language too - i'm guessing it is from a Khmer who studied Eng Lit in the west - but hasn't quite got it down as a native Enlish speaker would.

Very bold - both the expose itself and the picturesque use of language.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:00 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:12 am It's turning into a real money spinner for many of the big hotels.
Yes, and the Grand Duke is apparently owned by the boss's nephew. 8-)
I read that the hotel had been commandeered, which normally implies without payment. Or am I being charmingly naive?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:39 pm
Stiliko wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:54 am And here I thought “investigative journalism” was an extinct species in the KOW.
Well, FMWAFeatherDuster.
First time i have bothered to pick up a Cambodian newspaper for a year.
Charming use of language too - i'm guessing it is from a Khmer who studied Eng Lit in the west - but hasn't quite got it down as a native Enlish speaker would.

Very bold - both the expose itself and the picturesque use of language.
lackadaisical
was my favourite.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

blueman.cambodia wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:26 am My Prediction: As a result of this media publication, some in the media will be arrested in the coming days for embarrassing the Government.
The way I read it was as if this article had the blessing of the government, at least one part anyway
Officials who were part of the COVID-19 task force had allegedly told the Ministry of Health about lax security in numerous quarantine hotels on movement of people under quarantine
compared to:
led by Army chief and Royal Cambodian Armed Forces Deputy Commander Lieutenant General HM. Order and security amidst stricter (but humane and sensible) measures would hopefully be put in place to prevent the makings of another fiasco such as the February 20 Community Incident

Lt Gen Manet has commandeered the Great Duke Hotel and within 33 hours, the 500 rooms hotel was readied and equipped, complete with ICU facilities and ventilators. The Prek Pnov quarantine centre was emptied within 12 hours on Monday, March 8.
no doubting who is and isnt to blame
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Stiliko wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:54 am I’m flabbergasted... :Bravo:

...pleasantly so. And here I thought “investigative journalism” was an extinct species in the KOW.

Now let’s wait & see if and when the fallout begins.
After weeks of cutting through the complex web of deceit, denials, exaggeration, corruption and greed, investigative reporting carried out by Khmer Times unveiled the unlikely Hollywood-like tale of how a flight from Dubai to Phnom Penh and a pre-arranged and well-coordinated escape strategy,
I'd be a bit more impressed with the journalism, were it not for the fact that it seems like everybody in the country knew from the moment of their arrest that they were all brasses working that club and banging every hour they could to maximize revenue. Certainly from day one all this info was publicly available. I suppose it's best to be late than never
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:12 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:30 am
theKid wrote:Someone must have been horny AF to fly in hookers on a private jet.

The “pre-arranged” hotel doesn’t surprise me much as I know that has been possible if you pushed the right buttons, despite what’s being written in this forum.
You can also be sure the hotels are also paying someone somewhere something to be on the list of quarantine hotels.
The Sokha's room lights were about 80% illuminated the other night. It was almost 95% dark a little over a year ago. It's turning into a real money spinner for many of the big hotels.
Especially with the scraps they feed the quarantinees for $10 a pop. Disgraceful.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:12 pm Disgraceful.
^^^ in this country?

unauthorised used of Brody's copyrighted bloke in the green shirt cracking up laughing

Impossible!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:23 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:12 pm Disgraceful.
^^^ in this country?

unauthorised used of Brody's copyrighted bloke in the green shirt cracking up laughing

Impossible!
It's not like I said I was surprised.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic