Sell or rent out house in UK ? Should I go or RLF ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sobajoe
Tourist
Great Britain

Sell or rent out house in UK ? Should I go or RLF ?

Post by sobajoe »

Hi all ,
I'd like to ask you all if you have/had property back in own country which you rented out or have sold in order to stay in the kingdom, and if so how did it go/ has it gone ?

My situation , I am in a bungalow in the UK , value estimated to be 130,000 gbp, which I inherited from good, old Dad.

I returned to the UK from PP last March, just as the world was closing down , and may even have been on the last flight out, via Dubai with UAE. In the prior few years, I ad been spending around 6 months between UK and PP/Kampot/Siem Reap/Shitville over the UK winter. I left early this time because as the covid kicked off, my fathers heart failure turned acute and due to lack of oxygen his mind was going. When he told me on the phone his deceased mother was living with him it coincided with Britain entering lock-down, he always did have a sense of humor; I thought he was winding me up !

Anyhow , long story short ... I bolted back to the UK , and looked after him until he passed away in July last year. So here I am , waiting for some kind of normal to return to all of our lives.

While lying on the couch, stoned , I am pondering the future. Britain has turned into something I neither recognize, understand , or even want to deal with. I have known and seen coming for many years the need to be somewhere else for my later years and I will be 49 in sept.

One important decision is the Bungalow. Rent it out, but possibly have to return to UK if any issues arose , although it would be through an agency. Sell it and have a chunky lump sum which would then need its own careful management.

There was a small chunk of change to add to my own nest egg in the bank equating to around 50-60 ,000 gbp and so this will be used for income in addition to the house.

I have a degree, and a teaching qualification that I did last year but never used during my last stay.
My pension age is 67 as things stand in the UK , and that is some way off , so who even knows if I would make it that far.

After Dads passing , I went to work for a couple of months in a factory and hated every second until I went on 3 day holiday and decided I was finished working in the UK.

So while I smoke on the couch , my expensive weed and rolling tobacco is helping to make a UK winter and a shit past year seem part of the price for the escape I will be making.

Hopefully , it will be better times for us all soon. Just got to hang in a little longer guys ! In the mean time - any suggestions , knowledge , experience from which I may benefit would be very much appreciated and greatly received. ( no thread Jackers, please. Insults will be returned with volley fire )
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sell or rent out house in UK ? Should I go or RLF ?

Post by nemo »

Keep the house.
Renting is painful.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Sorry to hear about your dad's passing. If the bungalow is totally paid for, i.e. you didn't pick up the last year or two of mortgage installments, then to me it is almost a no-brainer "rent it out" move. The only dependency being that it must be in a place that you can reliably rent it out without any trouble. You'd have monthly passive income & whatever happens in the housing market (say there's a big post-COVID crash) - it will always recover in time.

If it is hard to rent out, maybe sell it and buy something smaller like a flat in a city that allows you to get into the same situation of having passive income, and maybe take a cheeky slice of cash for other projects at the same time.

If the bungalow isn't fully paid off, much bigger decision.

ps. the couch seems important, have you considered transport/storage options? :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Keep the house. Rent it out. Maintain an escape route. At worst, you’ll use, at best, you’ll have an additional income stream. The UK sucks, but it’s fairly stable.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

I will try to be as gentle as I can, I sympathize with your situation so here is my 2 cents. You Need to make a clean break, sell first then leave, you do not want to deal with a rental property from overseas if that is your 1 major asset. consider other locations besides SEAsia, that may offer less tyrranical governance. Also I doubt you will get a visa for Cambodia, Escaping the UK is a very good idea, do not delay, Georgia seems a much more practical choice, or Romania, Bulgaria, if you are set on SE Asia you may stay on the couch until it is too late and time is not on your side. Good Luck.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

What was your career for the last 30 years and how financially independent were you before your Dad's passing ?. If you're sitting on a couch getting stoned all day I think I'd recommend avoiding selling up and hitting Cambodia with a one off lump sum with all it's drug temptations. Take the sensible route and get an early pension through modest rental income and live your life within that budget.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

if your inheritance is all you have, you should keep it, if this is all you have to your name then you are no good with $$, if you sold it, it wont be long before you have no bungalow and no money
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:39 pm Keep the house. Rent it out. Maintain an escape route. At worst, you’ll use, at best, you’ll have an additional income stream. The UK sucks, but it’s fairly stable.
OP, I'm with Freightdog on this. You said you previously spent 6 months in Cambodia. Is that long enough to be confident enough in Cambodia to make a total break from the UK? I suggest you stay here in Cambodia at least a couple of years before cutting off the escape route.

Remember, we are guests here and subject to their requirements regarding visas and extensions of stay. They could change that whenever they want. I feel more stable as an over 60 retiree but you are 49 and will require some sort of long stay work visa..

And bear in mind, that it would be advisable that you have expat health insurance and that doesn't come cheap.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Firstly I agree with you on the rental side, it's too much of a risk situation. The other thing is because of your age, if you sold the property it would not be enough money for you to last very long in Cambodia. But only you know of what you want in life, and we all only live it once.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"While lying on the couch, stoned...."
.....i decided to ask CEO members how I should invest the family's patrimony.

Can i have some?
'Hard to get stuff that works that good these days.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic