Top 3 jobs for an expat?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Top 3 jobs for an expat?

Post by Grand Barong »

I realise everyone has different skills/qualifications, but I'm curious what are the top 3 jobs you would from choose from in Cambodia if you had the choice?
Cheers :hattip:
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Top 3 jobs for an expat?

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Grand Barong wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:14 pm I realise everyone has different skills/qualifications, but I'm curious what are the top 3 jobs you would from choose from in Cambodia if you had the choice?
1) Tourist 2) retiree 3) self employed

No job here pays anything like salaries in the west, so why anyone would come here and look for a job (any job) is absolutely beyond me. Better off working in the west and holidaying here and once financially independant, retiring here. Seen lots of chaps blow the 'opportunity cost' of making a good living in their home country to move here simply so they can bang hookers. Thats a life choice I suppose and nothing wrong with that - unfortunately though, this life choice drives a large of number gofundme campaigns when things go tits up
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I guess working remote is the best way. Cashing a Western salary will leave you with some spending power.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:25 pm
Grand Barong wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:14 pm I realise everyone has different skills/qualifications, but I'm curious what are the top 3 jobs you would from choose from in Cambodia if you had the choice?

No job here pays anything like salaries in the west, so why anyone would come here and look for a job (any job) is absolutely beyond me. Better off working in the west and holidaying here and once financially independant, retiring here. Seen lots of chaps blow the 'opportunity cost' of making a good living in their home country to move here simply so they can bang hookers. Thats a life choice I suppose and nothing wrong with that - unfortunately though, this life choice drives a large of number gofundme campaigns when things go tits up
You must be networking in the wrong circles. I have known numerous expats in jobs paying 10K+/month.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:42 pm

You must be networking in the wrong circles. I have known numerous expats in jobs paying 10K+/month.
What do those $10k+ jobs pay in the west?
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

So do I. Why would anyone take a pay cut when moving to Cambodia? I know lots of guys that were offered to move here from nearby countries either because of the pandemic and it’s implications on travel or because of economic prospects that the companies they work for are anticipating. If they were on, say, 300K USD in Shanghai, why would they relocate for a smaller package?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The question was about best jobs for expats, not the best jobs for those resident in their home countries.
:facepalm:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

For me it has always been
1/ Live where i want 2/ Do whatever i can to make that possible.

But then, i have never put much weight on the money/income/'standard of living' factor in my deliberations about anything.
That has got me the only thing i have demanded - an interesting life. Bottom line, always has been.

(lol, but that makes me the 2nd skintest person in both Au or Kh of course)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:13 pm The question was about best jobs for expats, not the best jobs for those resident in their home countries.
:facepalm:
Yeah, there seems to be lack of reading comprehension out there.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

10K+ per month is peanuts. Think minimum 10 times+ that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic