Top 3 jobs for an expat?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Top 3 jobs for an expat?

Post by Grand Barong »

Lots more options & bars to choose from in Thailand though..
Guess thats why Pattaya is referred to as a "Disneyland for adults" a mongers paradise...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

If the option comes around again, I'd like to do what I do now, just do it in SEA. As it happens, an FO with my outfit once worked on a lease operation with another UK company, based in Siem Reap a while back. An engineer previously with one of our maintenance providers recently moved permanently to Saigon. When the world starts opening up again (I'm fundamentally an optimist), and with the Max back in the fray, I'm hoping some opportunities will appear before I'm forced to hang up my scarf and goggles.
But once I do hang them up, I'll hopefully be able to continue in the training side. Part time. Anything to allow me to get home more frequently, and spend less time in Europe.

I quite like the idea of gaining some other teaching qualifications, although I'd imagine part time might not be so easy.

I've always liked the idea of a bar on or next to a beach. Nothing too glamorous. Make enough money to stay in business, not looking for huge profit. But I think that by the time I get that sorted out, all the beaches will be full of trash, concreted over or owned by the Chinese. Next best would be a quietBar/cafe/bistro- rattan, no plastic chairs. Draught Guinness.

Semi-retirement is the only type of retirement I could handle.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:25 pm move here simply so they can bang hookers. Thats a life choice I suppose and nothing wrong with that
I wouldn’t say I was hugely puritanical, but it’s not a great look for CEO that this statement went completely unchallenged for four pages up to now :/
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

nerdlinger wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:26 pm
ego bibere nimis wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:25 pm move here simply so they can bang hookers. Thats a life choice I suppose and nothing wrong with that
I wouldn’t say I was hugely puritanical, but it’s not a great look for CEO that this statement went completely unchallenged for four pages up to now :/
Why should it be challenged , should single guys stay home and bang hookers there, its not like its something new been happening for thousands of years.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:44 pm
I've always liked the idea of a bar on or next to a beach. Nothing too glamorous. Make enough money to stay in business, not looking for huge profit. But I think that by the time I get that sorted out, all the beaches will be full of trash, concreted over or owned by the Chinese. Next best would be a quietBar/cafe/bistro- rattan, no plastic chairs. Draught Guinness.

Semi-retirement is the only type of retirement I could handle.
I'm with you on this..would be a dream come true. Maybe we could share the business hours so the work dont get too much. Draught Guiness for you..real italian selection coffee for me. Missus would add the sweet side with pastries and cakes. Simple business to keep a little busy and hopefully meeting interesting folks to have a chat.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

its a nice idea, to run a small bar, to make just enough money to stay in bussiness, but so far i know and/or see, if they are really honest, all the ex-bar-restaurant-guesthouse-owners lost money, and thats ofcourse why they usually sell ounce they ve seen the reality under eyes !! do you know 1 bussiness who "really made it" in PP ?? Thats why my big question is more: what to do, to stay busy (without loosing money) !! ?? Landlords imo are the only-ones who make money in KOW !! ??
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Bongmab69 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:57 pm its a nice idea, to run a small bar, to make just enough money to stay in bussiness, but so far i know and/or see, if they are really honest, all the ex-bar-restaurant-guesthouse-owners lost money, and thats ofcourse why they usually sell ounce they ve seen the reality under eyes !! do you know 1 bussiness who "really made it" in PP ?? Thats why my big question is more: what to do, to stay busy (without loosing money) !! ?? Landlords imo are the only-ones who make money in KOW !! ??
Spend as much time as you like on the drinking side of the bar (passive income from what ever and only spend 70-80% of it, thats retirement)
Oh and thats how you get to retire also (work and only spend 70- 80% of it)
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Not Cambodia but similar (Laos). I teach online. I got into in-class teaching in a desperate bid to put km between me and my mad Thai ex. Teaching in Thailand paid peanuts (if you're not a licenced teacher). So I moved to Myanmar and was paid about $2,400 + hotel accommodation for teaching English, Science and History - no previous experience needed :)

A few years ago, I wanted to move into online teaching, to give my day some more flexibility. The internet in Myanmar wasn't very good, so I moved back to Thailand and then quickly onto Laos as a more stable long-term place to live.

Now I teach science from a nice house by the Mekong river in Luang Prabang. I have structured my teaching (via iTalki.com) to teach all weekend (typically 1 hour teach, 30 minutes break), to total 8 hours each day, plus 19 more hours spread out over Monday to Friday, typically 4.5 hours each weekday (2 hours in the morning 7-8 and 8.30-9.30, then relax for most of the day, then 2.5 hours in the evening.

That pulls in $2,800 a month. My rent is $350, water is $3, electricity is $20, fibre internet is $80 (because I have 2 separate fast internet connections for reliability).

You could of course, teach online from almost anywhere. But somehow, teaching online from cold, expensive old Blighty didn't really appeal to me :)
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I met many "fog sellers" or "fog stirrers" (as we say back home) expats here. So that must be paid "profession" as well. :roll:
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

atst wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:42 pm Why should it be challenged , should single guys stay home and bang hookers there
:facepalm:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic