Phnom Penh bars forced to close, arrests made

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Phnom Penh bars forced to close, arrests made

Post by atst »

Maybe needed the stock for an upcoming office party
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:32 pm i think a girl from a bar down 104 tested positive for Covid, and thats whats caused the closures
Originally yes. You're not talking about this time?They've been harder on 104 than the others ever since.
104 is the only place that's changed a lot for me with it being absolutely deserted from what I see. Everywhere else is being pretty much same same except that I drink alone. Sort of.
They just have to turn off their outside signage and keep the numbers right down to single digits. Bubble.
Discretion and common sense will buy you some leniency. Blatant disrespect will have you made an example of.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:43 am Police out in force again at Sizzlers Bar, apparently took furniture n stock as punishment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A few have been opening recently, so I hear. Where is sizzlers anyway? Refresh my memory.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:51 am
A few have been opening recently, so I hear. Where is sizzlers anyway? Refresh my memory.
Exit Harry's, go left, then first left and it's on your right.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:55 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:51 am
Exit Harry's, go left, then first left and it's on your right.
Next to Neils mart. Did they take his tables as well?
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:22 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:32 pm i think a girl from a bar down 104 tested positive for Covid, and thats whats caused the closures
Originally yes. You're not talking about this time?They've been harder on 104 than the others ever since.
104 is the only place that's changed a lot for me with it being absolutely deserted from what I see. Everywhere else is being pretty much same same except that I drink alone. Sort of.
They just have to turn off their outside signage and keep the numbers right down to single digits. Bubble.
Discretion and common sense will buy you some leniency. Blatant disrespect will have you made an example of.
Cant see myself risking a confrontation with the law just so I can go sit and buy a hooker a drink...Plenty of other options at the moment, so until this lunacy stops better to seek alternatives imho. Hopefully, like most other situations here, the cops will just get bored with it all and things will get back to normal. Better to use police resource to arrest grandma's & aunties playing cards in the provinces somewhere - this is the real threat to the fabric of society :roll:
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I'm hearing the new rule is - gatherings must not exceed 15 people.
A plus for the smaller establishments with less staff. But bars may have to close regardless of size.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:50 am I'm hearing the new rule is - gatherings must not exceed 15 people.
A plus for the smaller establishments with less staff. But bars may have to close regardless of size.
Is this 15 max rule going to be applied to restaurant/bars, or is this going to be the rule for bars to reopen?

Most of those bars haven't seen more than 15 people in them for a very long time.
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by joelightcloud »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:35 am Plenty of other options at the moment, so until this lunacy stops better to seek alternatives imho.
Please share these "plenty other options" with us all.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

joelightcloud wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:06 am
ego bibere nimis wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:35 am Plenty of other options at the moment, so until this lunacy stops better to seek alternatives imho.
Please share these "plenty other options" with us all.
Sitting on Riverside with a can of warm Ganzberg and eating Khmer noodles.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic