Expected salary

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Nikm
Tourist
India

Expected salary

Post by Nikm »

Hello everyone,

I have just been offered a job as Senior School teacher at an international school in Phnom Penh.

They have asked me to quote my expected salary.

There are no perquisites/ benefits.

Can someone kindly guide me?

I'd like to quote them a range.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nikm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Expected salary

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It's a bit hard to say as salaries at "International" schools here vary from $800-4000+. Without knowing the school, your educational background, experience or anything else, it's difficult to give advice. I'm not a teacher myself, but I'd say just state what you feel would be a good number for you. What are you worth? Aim high.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:14 am It's a bit hard to say as salaries at "International" schools here vary from $800-4000+. Without knowing the school, your educational background, experience or anything else, it's difficult to give advice. I'm not a teacher myself, but I'd say just state what you feel would be a good number for you. What are you worth? Aim high.
Very true. It's impossible to say without knowing more about your qualifications and experience. If you're Indian (as your flag suggests) and not white skinned, this will also probably be a factor, I'm sorry to say.

What I will say however is that most good schools are keen to attract good teachers. You may start off on a fairly basic income, but if you prove your worth, are popular with the students and especially their parents, don't mind chipping in with extra-curricular activities outside of normal teaching hours, are easy to get along with and generally an all-round good-egg, you can end up commanding a much higher salary than what you started off at.

Good luck.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Nikm wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:09 am Hello everyone,

I have just been offered a job as Senior School teacher at an international school in Phnom Penh.

They have asked me to quote my expected salary.

There are no perquisites/ benefits.

Can someone kindly guide me?

I'd like to quote them a range.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nikm
There are no perks or benefits? Create your own? If the pay is $4000, work reasonably hard. If the pay is $800, slack off almost to the point of them firing you. That's how I would do it.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I've been out of the employment game for a long time but is this how it works these days? The potential employer doesn't say what they are offering re salary? You have to quote what you want and then they say yay or nay? How can they offer a job and then ask what you expect?

Sorry, not trying to poison the well for this job offer but it does seem rather odd..
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Ask them if they are going to always play these little cat and mouse games?

Job description, hours required and a basis salary with any overtime rates available, holiday entitlement and any other benefits.

If they can't be open and honest about those factors maybe you should keep looking, especially if you are a real teacher with proper credentials, experience and a solid track record.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:24 am The potential employer doesn't say what they are offering re salary? You have to quote what you want and then they say yay or nay? How can they offer a job and then ask what you expect?

Sorry, not trying to poison the well for this job offer but it does seem rather odd..
It's typical with mid to lower tier schools, I've heard. Just like haggling at the market but in reverse. You name your price......they lowball the shit out of you...........then you meet a few shekels above that.

The tide is changing now as well. Don't think proper qualifications will bowl them over........Filipinos are starting to be hired more and more...........They'll accept half the salary of a westerner and they all have glowing "Masters" degrees from Olongapo University :?

Though the top tier schools with westerners working in management, HR and Admin will still appreciate and properly compensate a well qualified western candidate.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:24 am I've been out of the employment game for a long time but is this how it works these days? The potential employer doesn't say what they are offering re salary? You have to quote what you want and then they say yay or nay? How can they offer a job and then ask what you expect?

I totally agree. If they're gonna play childish games like that, then just play childish games back. Prop your feet up on the desk during the interview. Have friends call you and answer phone calls during the interview. Maybe even light up a cigar during the interview with riel notes. If they can't hack stuff like that they are petty and aren't working for and just walk without saying anything.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

I had a friend tell me a strange anecdote from a few years back.

He was the "lead teacher" whatever that means, and the Khmer HR guy wanted him to sit in with him for an interview with a prospective new hire teacher who happened to be female.

He said she was young and cute, from America and when they sat down in the meeting room to commence the interview, the first question from the Khmer HR dude was, "Besides being very beautiful, what other positive qualities do you have?"

He said the girl just slowly turned her had and looked at him with this confused look on her face.

They were able to muddle their way through the rest of the interview and hired her but she only lasted a few weeks, lol.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

A variation of the old "up to you" when asking the price of nearly everything.

Theeeeee 2nd most annoying thing about living in Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic