Thailand Versus Cambodia

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Thailand Versus Cambodia

Post by KTabi »

What are the pros and cons of each and why would someone choose one over the other?
:thumb:
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand Versus Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Actually, they are similar in some fundamental aspects, both being Buddhist monarchies with the social problems that developing countries often have.

The main difference is that during and after the VN War Thailand got rich and Cambodia got bombed, and the civil war and year zero thing, etc. occurred. As a result, Cambodia is still on the UNDP's Least Developed Countries (LDC) list.

So, people usually choose based on if they want a higher level of development, westernization, convenience, "normality", etc. or more weirdness, ancient vibes, adventure, traditional elements, etc.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I came to Cambodia before ever visiting Vietnam or Thailand, which is a bit unusual. The main thing is that Cambodia was totally alien and felt exciting/invigorating. When I did finally make it to Thailand about a year later, I found it totally boring. There was no mystique about the place, especially Bangkok, which is essentially a large, modern metropolis. It looked like any big city with malls, sky train, international chains/brands and so on.

Meanwhile, (mind you, this was over ten years ago) Cambodia had no malls, it had people sitting on the roof and hoods of old cars flying down dirt roads, there were literally cow carts in the city, palm juice sellers with bamboo containers walking around, about four traffic lights in the whole capital. It felt like the wild west (even though I realize I missed the wildest years). I know it's an overused word and sounds cliche, but Cambodia felt truly "exotic" for lack of a better word.

I think that feeling of Cambodia has largely disappeared, partly due to me being here so long, but also due to the speedy changes we've witnessed. Even in most parts of the countryside these days are over, but it's still different from Thailand in many ways.

As mentioned above, Thailand is popular because it has minimarts, huge supermarkets, a large manufacturing base which produces a whole range of goods so you can find pretty much anything that you'd expect back home there as well. So it's more "comfortable" for those who seek comfort and something more akin to their lifestyles back home, albeit with a tropical twist. It used to be really hard to find even basic stuff here and people would pack their suitcases with essentials from back home, but now you can find most things here as well (and what can't be found can be imported). There's both good and bad sides to this of course.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

There was Sorya mall when i lived in PP in 2008

Like this

After living in Thailand an visiting Laos & Burma in the 80's never felt Cambodia was exotic
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

phuketrichard wrote:There was Sorya mall when i lived in PP in 2008

Like this

After living in Thailand an visiting Laos & Burma in the 80's never felt Cambodia was exotic
But it wasn't a proper mall. Basically a ton of tiny market stalls in a building that had the country's first escalators.

It's ok Richard, we know you love Thailand Image
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

If you can get past the basic thai xenophobia to foreigners then go for it. Because behind that 'save face' thai smile, most thais inherently dislike farangs. Covid19 has highlighted their true colours recently referring to 'dirty foreigners'.

Whilst they tolerate foreigners for the money they bring into the kingdom, they wont tell you to your face but what they think is another matter. After you spend some decent time living there it becomes evident and that's been my experience. I've heard them blatantly racist to blacks and indians for example.

Compare that with khmers and it's chalk and cheese imo. Sure Thailand generally offers better facilities and services that westerners are familiar with and that's a strong point. But for me I put more emphasis on the culture and how the people treat me as a guest in their country.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

I agree with Clutch.. After visiting Thailand several times before Cambodia I definitely feel the khmers are more warm and welcoming of visitors.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fyi;
Theres a lot more Farangs that call Thailand their homes, than Barangs that call Cambodia their home

Wonder why that is? Is it ONLY for the malls, 7/11's, huge supermarkets, range of goods, better roads, medical care, infrastructure?
Didn't have all that in the 80's either.....
...Covid19 has highlighted their true colours recently referring to 'dirty foreigners'.
ONE rascist minister's off the wall remark

Its amazing what my khmer gf tells me abut how we have to change our lives once we move to Kep and how i must not trust the locals

As far as more welcoming.... I truly dont see their more welcoming there than here or in Laos, Burma, Bali etc etc.......
You smile... they smile back

Everyone chooses where they feel most comfortable, but please stop with all the cliché BS, its old and childish
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:28 pm Its amazing what my khmer gf tells me abut how we have to change our lives once we move to Kep and how i must not trust the locals
She just doesn't want you blabbing on to them about how great Thailand is every five minutes. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:28 pm fyi;

Its amazing what my khmer gf tells me abut how we have to change our lives once we move to Kep and how i must not trust the locals

Thats funny you should say that, I get the same message from my girl all the time, ( sometimes I think its her way of keeping me to herself)
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic