Health checkpoint at Siem Reap/Kampong Thom

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Health checkpoint at Siem Reap/Kampong Thom

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello everyone,

I want to go to Kratie or Stung Treng tomorrow, and one of my relatives claim that the road is closed on National Road 7 after Kratie. Has anyone heard of this?

It seems like it maybe a rumor, but am not sure.

Any other closures around the country that may be an indicator?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:58 pm Hello everyone,

I want to go to Kratie or Stung Treng tomorrow, and one of my relatives claim that the road is closed on National Road 7 after Kratie. Has anyone heard of this?

It seems like it maybe a rumor, but am not sure.

Any other closures around the country that may be an indicator?
I will (try to) travel from Stueng Treng to Phnom Penh tomorrow. All bus services have been suspended so I rented a whole taxi for myself. My driver is confident we'll be fine.

<Edit>
They're usually well informed about situations going on down the roads because they constantly stay in contact with each other
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

My driver just called, he confirmed pickup at 4am and all checks down the road are just temperature checks as long as you wear a mask.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:21 pm My driver just called, he confirmed pickup at 4am and all checks down the road are just temperature checks as long as you wear a mask.
I'm not doubting your info, but are you sure that the road to Kratie and Stung Treng is open for people coming from PP ? I'm wondering because there have been news reports saying that some provinces (which have no declared virus cases, like Kratie and Stung Treng) are placing travelers arriving from PP in quarantine because PP is a high risk Covid area.
If you gather some info on this on your trip down, that would be useful to know.
Cheers.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:45 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:21 pm My driver just called, he confirmed pickup at 4am and all checks down the road are just temperature checks as long as you wear a mask.
I'm not doubting your info, but are you sure that the road to Kratie and Stung Treng is open for people coming from PP ? I'm wondering because there have been news reports saying that some provinces (which have no declared virus cases, like Kratie and Stung Treng) are placing travelers arriving from PP in quarantine because PP is a high risk Covid area.
If you gather some info on this on your trip down, that would be useful to know.
Cheers.
No, I am not sure about tomorrow but my driver did the trip today he told me. I will report back tomorrow. My driver (with just one passenger) apparently thinks there's little or no risk. I will report back tomorrow.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

My taxi just picked me up. Had a talk with the driver. Yesterday there were no police checks at Kratie, he only encountered one check on the border between Stueng Treng and Ratanakiri (at the large concrete bridge) where they checked temperature and sprayed some alcohol.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

This morning there was no health checkpoint at Kratie.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Final report: arrived in the capital safe and sound, not once have questions been asked or has my temperature been checked. Travelled thought six provinces today and none of them had checks:
Ratanakiri
Stueng Treng
Kratie
Kampong Cham
Kandal
Phnom Penh

Paid 350.000 khr for the taxi just by myself.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:51 am Final report: arrived in the capital safe and sound, not once have questions been asked or has my temperature been checked. Travelled thought six provinces today and none of them had checks:
Ratanakiri
Stueng Treng
Kratie
Kampong Cham
Kandal
Phnom Penh

Hi Kammekor,

Thank you for your report and good luck that you were doing the trip at this time. So you did not see any checkpoints going the other direction as well? As someone mentioned, it's possible they're letting people go from the provinces to Phnom Penh but they don't want to let people go the other direction.

In terms of there being no buses, that's also a big obstacle for us. Are there also none of the good quality minivans (Khmer call "Ford" or "VIP") And none of the local minivans (called "toureeh" in Khmer)?

Our family member in that region thinks that the issue is with the local authorities will ask a lot of questions if you just suddenly show up from Phnom Penh.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:45 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:51 am Final report: arrived in the capital safe and sound, not once have questions been asked or has my temperature been checked. Travelled thought six provinces today and none of them had checks:
Ratanakiri
Stueng Treng
Kratie
Kampong Cham
Kandal
Phnom Penh

Hi Kammekor,

Thank you for your report and good luck that you were doing the trip at this time. So you did not see any checkpoints going the other direction as well? As someone mentioned, it's possible they're letting people go from the provinces to Phnom Penh but they don't want to let people go the other direction.

In terms of there being no buses, that's also a big obstacle for us. Are there also none of the good quality minivans (Khmer call "Ford" or "VIP") And none of the local minivans (called "toureeh" in Khmer)?

Our family member in that region thinks that the issue is with the local authorities will ask a lot of questions if you just suddenly show up from Phnom Penh.
No, I have not seen any checkpoins in the other direction too. Roads were quiet all the way, we drove the normal main route (national roads).
I have seen relatively few vans. I don't think there's a ban for those, but there's lack of passengers. Vans were not stopped as well. The police I saw was just the traffic police getting their tea money at the usual spots.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic