Covid - 20 Feb - are you changing your habits?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Are you changing your habits and activities during this outbreak?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:07 pm

Fundamentally changed my activities
10%
Taking many more precautions
23%
A few changes
40%
Life as normal
28%

Total votes: 40
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Covid - 20 Feb - are you changing your habits?

Post by newkidontheblock »

KTabi wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 am We’ve gone to double masking as per recommendations
I don't mean to be rude but I find this new thing quite ridiculous, many countries were able to effectively manage the thing without such a policy or idea. It seems like far more people have a problem even abiding in or correctly utilizing basic common sense like washing hands and wearing a mask at all that people wearing two masks won't help.
2 masks increases the chance of having a better seal of the mouth and nose and filtering out smaller particles. Especially with close contact in enclosed spaces.

Kinda like defensive driving. Not every driver uses basic common sense on the roads. One is responsible for one’s own safety.

No such thing as a rude difference of opinion.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:27 am
Equinix wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:06 am
timmydownawell wrote:
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:25 pm Really this is the absolute worst time to be complacent. The risk has literally never been higher. Sure it's tiring after all this time but really we have been so incredibly lucky until a fortnight ago. Now's the time to actually step it up.
Just to underline this: 64 new cases identified today.
OMG, we are all going to die Image.
:roll: Given the levels of testing here are pretty low, 64 positive tests is worrying, because the real number is probably double, triple, who knows how many times bigger. And if they're not identifying those cases then it's going to go crazy.
Please guide us to the number of tests done yesterday leading to 64 cases.

65 tests?
650 tests?
6.500 tests?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:47 am
KTabi wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 am We’ve gone to double masking as per recommendations
I don't mean to be rude but I find this new thing quite ridiculous, many countries were able to effectively manage the thing without such a policy or idea. It seems like far more people have a problem even abiding in or correctly utilizing basic common sense like washing hands and wearing a mask at all that people wearing two masks won't help.
2 masks increases the chance of having a better seal of the mouth and nose and filtering out smaller particles. Especially with close contact in enclosed spaces.

Kinda like defensive driving. Not every driver uses basic common sense on the roads. One is responsible for one’s own safety.

I listened to podcast with a virologist once and he compared a simple cloth mask to keep a corona virus out with a wired fence keeping the mozzies out.

I know it's a large simplification of the truth, since viruses in the air travel on / in particles which are much larger than the virus itself and mozzies don't , but still.... Loved the comparison.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:47 am
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:27 am
timmydownawell wrote:
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:25 pm Really this is the absolute worst time to be complacent. The risk has literally never been higher. Sure it's tiring after all this time but really we have been so incredibly lucky until a fortnight ago. Now's the time to actually step it up.
:roll: Given the levels of testing here are pretty low, 64 positive tests is worrying, because the real number is probably double, triple, who knows how many times bigger. And if they're not identifying those cases then it's going to go crazy.
Please guide us to the number of tests done yesterday leading to 64 cases.

65 tests?
650 tests?
6.500 tests?
OK you got me, I don't know. But consider in Australia where they were testing 50,000+ people a day or more in Sydney or Melbourne. I have no doubt the number here would be tiny in comparison.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am

OK you got me, I don't know. But consider in Australia where they were testing 50,000+ people a day or more in Sydney or Melbourne. I have no doubt the number here would be tiny in comparison.
I have no doubt too (gut feeling), and at the same time I've got no clue (fact). It's not like the government is extremely transparent on this matter, or will ever be. Their main goal seems to be to prevent mass hysteria which could potentially be very harmful for them.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am
KTabi wrote:

I listened to podcast with a virologist once and he compared a simple cloth mask to keep a corona virus out with a wired fence keeping the mozzies out.

I know it's a large simplification of the truth, since viruses in the air travel on / in particles which are much larger than the virus itself and mozzies don't , but still.... Loved the comparison.
My favorite were people claiming to to be oxygen deprived from a mask while at the same time saying it won't stop a virus.
Google "schrodinger's face mask"
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:55 am
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am

I have no doubt too (gut feeling), and at the same time I've got no clue (fact). It's not like the government is extremely transparent on this matter, or will ever be. Their main goal seems to be to prevent mass hysteria which could potentially be very harmful for them.
Yet the Khmer Times is so fond of repeating, endlessly, the 'tally'. The only useful piece of information is the nationalities, which today seem to show that it's well and truly out of the Chinese community and is now into the Khmer community.

Today they even gave us a full list of the tally in all the other ASEAN countries. Nothing useful like total tests conducted in Cambodia recently, or the condition of patients kept in hospitals (and now dragooned hotels).

Once the ruling elite have been vaccinated, plus all the support staff - Military, police, civil service (sic), high ranking party officials and the senate - the important work of vaccination will be complete and then the hoi polloi can fight it out amongst themselves. Of course, the 350,000 AZ vaccines will have been all used up by then.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

timmydownawell wrote:Really this is the absolute worst time to be complacent. The risk has literally never been higher. Sure it's tiring after all this time but really we have been so incredibly lucky until a fortnight ago. Now's the time to actually step it up.
Indeed. The roads have never been more dangerous, so please remain vigilant everyone. Local roads claim around 2000 lives per year, with many more maimed for life. Now is not the time to be complacent: look left/right before crossing, don't speed, be careful driving at night.
timmydownawell wrote:
timmydownawell wrote:
The fact remains that 1k+ have been infected and no one has died. If the actual number of infected people is much higher as you suggest, then it goes without saying that its mortality rate here would be even lower. Again, people can be so focused on this because it's the news du jour, while the reality of the matter is that malaria has claimed more lives here. The population is young, there's a very low obesity rate, they have a decent immune system and cardiovascular health is generally alright so for the most part, pretty low risk. Vaccines are here being rolled out for those at risk,, so it's not the end of the world. If you maintain a healthy bodyweight and cardiovascular health, you have very little to worry about. Just mask up in public places, avoid huge crowds and do your part, but that's it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

KTabi wrote:

I think there is a different calculus for protecting oneself against the disease of course, I've only been concerned with not spreading it to others like many others. I've always been under the impression that masks help but are limited in the capacity to save yourself from infection but I can appreciate someone acting with care at least.
:thumb:
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

KTabi wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:08 am I think there is a different calculus for protecting oneself against the disease of course, I've only been concerned with not spreading it to others like many others. I've always been under the impression that masks help but are limited in the capacity to save yourself from infection but I can appreciate someone acting with care at least.
Kind of related to masks:

In 2001, an Australian doctor was asked an unusual question by a windy nurse.

"She wanted to know whether she was contaminating the operating theatre she worked in by quietly farting in the sterile environment during operations, and I realised that I didn't know," Dr Karl Kruszelnicki told listeners to his science phone-in radio show in Brisbane. "But I was determined to find out.”

Full story: https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-m ... d-disease/
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic