Covid - 20 Feb - are you changing your habits?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Are you changing your habits and activities during this outbreak?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:07 pm

Fundamentally changed my activities
10%
Taking many more precautions
23%
A few changes
40%
Life as normal
28%

Total votes: 40
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Covid - 20 Feb - are you changing your habits?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

No change here
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:07 pm I was just wondering if people were beginning to take this a lot more seriously...
How many death due to covid19 in Cambodia?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Really this is the absolute worst time to be complacent. The risk has literally never been higher. Sure it's tiring after all this time but really we have been so incredibly lucky until a fortnight ago. Now's the time to actually step it up.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

I respect those who are encouraging more vigilance but I do wonder at what point the halting of activities must outstrip the harm of the disease. I seems to be mostly a matter of managing foreign entries then hitting hard once that fails rather than shutting down life. I think at some point one must figure out how to safely conduct things rather than abstaining or the show must go on.
:thumb:
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

orussey98 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:25 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:07 pm I was just wondering if people were beginning to take this a lot more seriously...
Officially or unofficially
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

atst wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:54 pm
What's the rumours on the streets about deaths?
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:25 pm Really this is the absolute worst time to be complacent. The risk has literally never been higher. Sure it's tiring after all this time but really we have been so incredibly lucky until a fortnight ago. Now's the time to actually step it up.
Totally agree, although I’m probably not exactly leading by example myself. However, the outright smug carelessness that seems to be prevalent the last few days is definitely dangerous. Especially young people are trying to outdo each other with IG and FB posts showing them partying in packed places, full gyms (yes, many are still open!), always complemented with the customary “f*** Covid” or the cynical “we are soooo afraid/smiley face” texts.
The fact that the country has breezed though this pandemic with relative easy seems to make people far too complacent. I have personally experienced the impact of such behaviour in other places during 2020.
That virus is now very firmly embedded in the community, they found another 50 cases this evening, and things really don’t look too promising.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

atst wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:54 pm
you have the unofficial figures?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

On the other side of the pond, me and missus are taking this quite seriously. We’ve gone to double masking as per recommendations. Not yet face shields in public. Now people in the village are now testing positive. Expect quarantine and food hoarding coming soon.

We’ve sent older sister funds to procure more rice and dried fish before the markets run out. She has so many mouths to feed, bless her heart.

Please be safe out there everyone!
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 am We’ve gone to double masking as per recommendations
I don't mean to be rude but I find this new thing quite ridiculous, many countries were able to effectively manage the thing without such a policy or idea. It seems like far more people have a problem even abiding in or correctly utilizing basic common sense like washing hands and wearing a mask at all that people wearing two masks won't help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic