Computer crashing problem, need the best computer shop

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Computer crashing problem, need the best computer shop

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello,

I've been having a serious problem with my laptop computer and have tried many things to fix it. First it was having the blue screen of death crashes, then it was even locking me out of the computer even though the password was correct. So I created a Windows Restore USB and completely reinstalled Windows- on the second attempt I wiped the SSD and it was reformatted.

This still did not solve the BSOD problem, I ran checkdisk and found nothing, and just ran a scan of the RAM, I tried restoring it to an earlier restore point after the reinstallation of Windows. I was also having problems that it wouldn't boot, saying "no bootable device" so I started keeping the Windows Restore USB in the computer all the time. Although later it would boot windows no problem.

I now think I may know what's wrong with it. Strangely, when booting into the BIOS it sometimes recognizes the hard drive and sometimes not. This probably explains why sometimes it will boot and sometimes it won't.

I'm starting to wonder if the whole BSOD problem is coming from some kind of connection problem between the motherboard and the SSD. Possibly it is loose or defective, and keeps causing the BSOD crash as well as the failure to boot.

I need a good computer shop with good technical competence to check it. If the problem is what I think it is, then it should be easy. But if not, they will have to look at other possibilities.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good computer shop for something like this?
Equinix
Expatriate

Re: Computer crashing problem, need the best computer shop

Post by Equinix »

Maybe the SSD is faulty (try another one)

You could try to do some tests through a Linux live USB

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=28830

Chantra is a pretty good shop. (Never had anything repaired there though)
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

I can recommend Chantra in TTP for everything PC-related, from choice of top notch hardware to quality of repair work and their professionalism. They custom built a high end gaming computer for my friend.

I use a Pixelbook Go Chromebook for peace of mind.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Dude, what version of Winda s you running? The BSOD is so BITGOD. There is a true geek in all the shops but this one Nerd I know of is especially binary. That shop is around Russian Market, it's called Quick Fix on st 155 across from Carl's Junior bragg, near Toul Tom Pung Market, Phnom Penh, 12311. I like Dara computer on St 19 across from where Norton University was, cross st. 108? Although you sound as sharp as they do. The dude at quick fix is lanky and chinese looking with tats and he's like 15 and he's the owner don't bother with anyone else there and I don't trust him btw but he s good and will deliver. Maybe I'm being unfair to say I don't trust but he's just a little too smart and what I particularly like is that he's always so slammed he can't stop to grab a snack or a coffee so when I provide those items and offer double rate he'll take my machine apart in 45 seconds and tell me what a smart man would do next after tolerating my foolish to him narrative regarding the malady of my machine. Do tell the culprit please when done. Oh, don't piss the Geeks off, they are the ones who know how the f this kind of stuff happens and they hold our data in their puny hands.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Equinix wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:37 am Maybe the SSD is faulty (try another one)

You could try to do some tests through a Linux live USB

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=28830

Chantra is a pretty good shop. (Never had anything repaired there though)
I ran the Checkdisk check and it doesn't show anything. I also tested the RAM yesterday and it also didn't show any problem.

Will try the Linux Live test you mentioned.

At this point I suspect it is something related to the connection from the motherboard to the SSD, since that would explain why the BIOS sometimes shows the SSD as being recognized and sometimes not. It would also make sense that, if you were using the computer and suddenly the connection between the SSD and the motherboard went wrong, that it would crash (of course). The crashes are pretty random, there doesn't seem to be any real cause. There's hardly any software on the computer as I just reinstalled Windows.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

I think you're on the right track with a connection problem. Intermittent. Aggravating. But why not DIY? And beyond using Linux Live, fully install it. Windoze is pure unadulterated crap. Linux Mint 20. All ya need to know.....
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

ergosemper wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:27 am I can recommend Chantra in TTP for everything PC-related, from choice of top notch hardware to quality of repair work and their professionalism. They custom built a high end gaming computer for my friend.

I use a Pixelbook Go Chromebook for peace of mind.
Thanks I will check them out!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Have you opened up the machine and taken a look at it yourself? Is it possible to disconnect the SSD from the motherboard and seat it back in again? I'd guess this would be the first thing a technician would do?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Marty wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:48 pm I think you're on the right track with a connection problem. Intermittent. Aggravating. But why not DIY? And beyond using Linux Live, fully install it. Windoze is pure unadulterated crap. Linux Mint 20. All ya need to know.....
Why not DIY? You mean why don't I fix it myself? I could do that but it seems to me that laptop casings are complicated and even getting inside the computer is tricky. Then I would have to know where the SATA wire is and which one to buy to replace it.

I was also reading an article that mentions a SATA controller, so it could be that as well.

Re Linux, I do have Linux Ubuntu installed on some other computers. I guess Linux Mint 20 is another distribution?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

xandreu wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:50 pm Have you opened up the machine and taken a look at it yourself? Is it possible to disconnect the SSD from the motherboard and seat it back in again? I'd guess this would be the first thing a technician would do?
I haven't done that, but I could try it, thanks...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic