Computer crashing problem, need the best computer shop

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Computer crashing problem, need the best computer shop

Post by daeum_tnaot »

siliconlife wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:46 pm It's a bit finnicky but not that difficult with most laptops once you learn how, and there are plenty of tutes online these days, just Google your model. Blow it out with a compressed air can, one finger on the fans to stop them from spinning the wrong way. I like to get the little brush from my clippers set and gently dislodge any encrusted dust as well, and I use that and some microfiber cloth if I can't find any compressed air. Reseating is usually similarly not that hard. Reseat the SSD and the RAM too for good measure if it's not baked into the mobo. Should be done once a year, the cleaning at least (sometimes twice a year in a dusty place like Cambo!). If that doesn't improve things, there's a problem with one of the parts.
Hi, thanks, where can I get a compressed air can? and microfiber cloth? Initially I didn't want to try to open it my self but after seeing how easy it was yesterday at the shop I may try to open it up and clean out some dust.

What do you mean by "reseat the SSD"? Does that just mean take it out and put it in again?
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:12 pm
siliconlife wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:46 pm It's a bit finnicky but not that difficult with most laptops once you learn how, and there are plenty of tutes online these days, just Google your model. Blow it out with a compressed air can, one finger on the fans to stop them from spinning the wrong way. I like to get the little brush from my clippers set and gently dislodge any encrusted dust as well, and I use that and some microfiber cloth if I can't find any compressed air. Reseating is usually similarly not that hard. Reseat the SSD and the RAM too for good measure if it's not baked into the mobo. Should be done once a year, the cleaning at least (sometimes twice a year in a dusty place like Cambo!). If that doesn't improve things, there's a problem with one of the parts.
Hi, thanks, where can I get a compressed air can? and microfiber cloth? Initially I didn't want to try to open it my self but after seeing how easy it was yesterday at the shop I may try to open it up and clean out some dust.

What do you mean by "reseat the SSD"? Does that just mean take it out and put it in again?
I've typically found them difficult to find, and have often been shocked that most of the Khmer techies I've met don't even know what it is. I don't live in PP, so I used to order it off of ebay, but it can take ages to arrive. I've heard you can find them in Super Duper marts, or Lucky Computer on Sihanouk. Keep your eye out for them anyway.
And don't go for any alternative fans that just blow air from the atmosphere into the computer, or suck it out. There's water vapour in the air that can damage computer parts, and electronic devices like vacuums can cause static discharge and fry your parts.

Microfiber cloth is easy to get at glasses shops.

And yes, that's what reseat means.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

So yesterday I decided to see if a shop could help me open the back of the laptop and test my assessment of the computer's problem.

But my wife did not want me to leave it at the shop but rather to watch them while they work on the computer as she believes they may actually switch out parts when you're not there.

First I went to Davy but they refused to even open the computer in front of me- they insisted I have to leave it with them. It leads me to believe that they don't really have a technical person on site, or perhaps they are like a retail outlet and just rely on some of the techies on Kampuchea Krom.

Then I went to Chantra but it was all barred up with like a barricade in front. So then I went to some place I'd never seen before in Tuol Tompong. After seeing that it crashed a few times while he tried to work on it, he immediately announced that the SSD was going bad (although the computer only dates to 2018) and started to put a new SSD in it. Then he installed Windows on the new SSD which I found out too late is a cracked version.

I made it clear that I don't want crack Windows and that I could install Windows myself on the SSD with my Windows installation USB. He didn't understand how I could do that so then he took out the new SSD and put in the original one. I think he thought he was going to copy over my Windows files from the original SSD, and use that to reinstall Windows.

But then he started to realize that the computer was now running well and not crashing. After he installed a few drivers I took the computer home. Since then it hasn't crashed a single time. So it looks like my analysis that the problem was some dust or a poor connection to the SSD was correct. I plan to reinstall Windows again as some things seem to be messed up, but the crashing problems seems to be done.

Also shows about these computer shop people- only a simple repair was needed but instead he wanted to try to sell me a new SSD!
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

ever thought maybe it's windows itself that's the problem? if you not using any windows locked software and can survive with basic office tools... go linux - mint - popOs - manjaro - mx ... they wont update unless you tell them to
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

rockyboy612 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:30 pm ever thought maybe it's windows itself that's the problem? if you not using any windows locked software and can survive with basic office tools... go linux - mint - popOs - manjaro - mx ... they wont update unless you tell them to
Definitely. Windoze is shit, haven't used it in over a decade. Linux Mint 20, best version yet.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

My (Linux) lappy kept hanging/freezing up the other day. Noticed the air coming out of the fan vent was rather hot. Shut it down and vaccuumed the air vents and voila! it's working 100% again.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

My stinkin win10 was at 100% disk usage. Tried many things to no avail. Refreshed AVG and done.
bona eek
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bona eek »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:11 pm So yesterday I decided to see if a shop could help me open the back of the laptop and test my assessment of the computer's problem.

But my wife did not want me to leave it at the shop but rather to watch them while they work on the computer as she believes they may actually switch out parts when you're not there.

First I went to Davy but they refused to even open the computer in front of me- they insisted I have to leave it with them. It leads me to believe that they don't really have a technical person on site, or perhaps they are like a retail outlet and just rely on some of the techies on Kampuchea Krom.

Then I went to Chantra but it was all barred up with like a barricade in front. So then I went to some place I'd never seen before in Tuol Tompong. After seeing that it crashed a few times while he tried to work on it, he immediately announced that the SSD was going bad (although the computer only dates to 2018) and started to put a new SSD in it. Then he installed Windows on the new SSD which I found out too late is a cracked version.

I made it clear that I don't want crack Windows and that I could install Windows myself on the SSD with my Windows installation USB. He didn't understand how I could do that so then he took out the new SSD and put in the original one. I think he thought he was going to copy over my Windows files from the original SSD, and use that to reinstall Windows.

But then he started to realize that the computer was now running well and not crashing. After he installed a few drivers I took the computer home. Since then it hasn't crashed a single time. So it looks like my analysis that the problem was some dust or a poor connection to the SSD was correct. I plan to reinstall Windows again as some things seem to be messed up, but the crashing problems seems to be done.

Also shows about these computer shop people- only a simple repair was needed but instead he wanted to try to sell me a new SSD!
Thanks for posting your experience - helps us rubes no end. Just so as you know, Chantra is still in the same street but diagonally opposite in a new unit on the other side of the road. They no longer accept any hardware problems even if the computer was bought from them. They will only service it under guarantee and even then they send it to the brand service centre for repair rather than doing it in house. John Bingham is absolutely right, they used to be good but no more.

I ended up at Quick Fix in TTP for my repair (was that the same place you ended up?) - I enjoyed bossho's rif of the techie in there and it's 100% accurate but my laptop screen peeling away from the frame didn't have anything to do with the innards so I didn't really worry too much and he fixed it within 24hrs as promised. I was pleased but I'll be more vigilant next time, thanks to you daeum_tnaot
"I'm consumed with apathy"
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

any estimate how long does it take for BSOD to return? You said you fixed it initially by re-installing everything.... generally they are correct start isolating

Bad ram stick - reseat the ram, use another ram stick if this is available
Bad ssd - replace the ssd, replace the actual cable
Bad OS - go linux
if everything else fails... ask your boss to get a decent better computer not one of those second hand grey market ones lol

lastly AVOID Chantra
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

[quote="bona eek" post_id=482500 time=1617173008 user_id=275]
[quote=daeum_tnaot post_id=478227 time=1615371072 user_id=11032]
So yesterday I decided to see if a shop could help me open the back of the laptop and test my assessment of the computer's problem.

[/quote]

Thanks for posting your experience - helps us rubes no end. Just so as you know, Chantra is still in the same street but diagonally opposite in a new unit on the other side of the road. They no longer accept any hardware problems even if the computer was bought from them. They will only service it under guarantee and even then they send it to the brand service centre for repair rather than doing it in house. John Bingham is absolutely right, they used to be good but no more.

I ended up at Quick Fix in TTP for my repair (was that the same place you ended up?) - I enjoyed bossho's rif of the techie in there and it's 100% accurate but my laptop screen peeling away from the frame didn't have anything to do with the innards so I didn't really worry too much and he fixed it within 24hrs as promised. I was pleased but I'll be more vigilant next time, thanks to you daeum_tnaot
[/quote]

Yeah,dude at Quickfix installs cracked Windows copies and those cracked copies are loaded with viruses that you ought to be able to isolate within Windows Defender (run the offline scan right away and full scan it too) , dude owner techie guy at Quikfix says all pc techs in Cambodia are using the same cracked copy of Windows, he and I have decided to burn any bridge left so I am also happy to read what others are saying in regard to alternatives in the adventures of PC repair in Cambodia. Dude at Quickfix is not a bad guy and he s sharp and fast, he just works within his hardware replacement paradigm which works for him. He can be bought, last July he actually re conditioned my battery and it ran at or above spec until the whole machine suffered blunt force trauma and was put out to pasture to graze on leafy grasses in The Elysian Fields of Computing with a lovely slim girl laptop he met in rehab.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic